You guys think Harley Davidson will last?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by tessalino, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dallas is just as congested as Seattle. I actually thought the Harley would be terrible for commuting here as well ( I can definitely respect and appreciate you thinking that, because I did as well) , but was surprised to find it is so good. This was the reason I was able to sell my Ducati Monster. I had hung on to the Ducati thinking that the Harley would just be for trips, but found I was just never riding the Ducati anymore.
    No chain to lube, no valves to adjust, the bike has a low center of gravity, so it is actually really good in heavy traffic. has a gas gauge (funny how just following mileage become a bit problematic when you are running and sitting in heavy traffic for long enough periods of time), Its low speed maneuverability is better. It is kind of what the Police use it for.

I did not really intend to stop riding the Ducati, but I would walk out to the bike and realize I needed my laptop or gym clothes and would need to go get the backpack to ride the Ducati, or it was time for some maintenance on the Ducati , or it was cold outside and the windshield and lowers seemed nice. And it hit me, I am just not riding the ducati anymore hardly at all.
    I would almost say it is the "out of city" riding that the Ducati was better at (and Of course, the Ducati would be better for track days)
    Of course the Harley is better at carrying my stuff to get out of the city, if I go camping with the wife or like the trip I did up to the mountain roads in Arkansas. The Ducati would have definitely been better in the mountain roads a few weeks ago, but the Harley was still really fun, and comfortably carried 6 days of luggage (and a passenger for part of it - at the same time).

I miss the Ducati sometimes, but definitely don't miss it over all the freeway expansion joints here. I don't miss wearing a backpack when it is 90+ here and a backpack blocks all the flow on my summer jacket. I don't miss the maintenance.
    If I can ever get the CDI to fix this Suzuki (the parts availability is about t make me crazy on this bike) I will have a light bike again. I spent little enough on it, that I wont feel as bad about it sitting most of the year.

The new toy I got for the Harley - I found a used Heated seat for 75 bikes on Offer up. Only got down to the 40's yesterday, but I have to say, this may be my favorite thing about the Harley so far - at least during the winter commute. OK, I really have become an old man. :p
  2. Traxx

Traxx Taxation is Theft Supporter

Oddometer:
    John Agreed, I find the Electra glide Standard much easier to deal with than the Trophy SE or the Tiger XRX in Ft Worth traffic, actually cooler on the legs as well. Same with Phoenix AZ traffic and Albuquerque NM traffic and Shreveport LA traffic and Houston TX traffic and El Paso TX traffic I could go on.
    Really the only place I miss the Trophy is at stupid speeds in the mountains. At non go to jail speeds I prefer the HD.
    AZbiker, phughes and Big John Sny like this.
  3. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    I admit that sometimes I look at heated seat kits for my Diavel :/ I have seat bags and windshields on both Ducati and Yamaha, so that problem is not manufacturer-specific. Never been to Dallas, but I imagine when you say "congested" you mean highways? We rarely take highways here in Seattle, we take hilly curvy streets. I rode a Harley on those, it was unpleasant. There's a reason why you don't see many of them here, and the dealerships either closed down or relocated to far suburbia.
  4. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    what Harley model was it?
    They have definitely built some models that were more like styling exercises than good motorcycles. Of course there are also a lot of customers modifying them that way as well, so it makes sense for them to do it, but I don’t enjoy riding them that way.
    AZbiker and Traxx like this.
  5. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Road King Police with ABS, the least obnoxious of the lineup. I had high hopes...
  6. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its not subjective just because people don't know something because they have not had enough experience on something doesn't mean anything. I don't know if Ducatis are good handling as I have never owned one that doesn't mean they are not known to be good handling by people to have owned them
  7. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    The difference being, not many people are going to claim that Ducatis are not good handling bikes; whereas many people who tried Harleys don't consider them "nice to ride" at all. The opinions of those who reject Harleys *after* trying them count, because those are who are causing Harley's cratering sales. That's why your opinion is subjective, just like theirs; what's objective is the sales figures.
  8. Traxx

Traxx Taxation is Theft Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have not owned a ducati but have test ridden a few and had one as a loaner while the Triumph was in the shop. Handled well, however very uncomfortable in stop and go and on some of the rough streets. The riding position was cramped for me and overall an uncomfortable bike to ride. Oh and that was the scrambler icon 1100, the smaller one and a multistrada. Not a fan of Ducati. BMW & Triumph on the other hand can get me back to euro bro status but not any time soon. Enjoying the EGS to much.
  9. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    I never said Ducati was not good handling, I just said I didn't know as I don't have ownership experience.

Harley does have higher sales figures than ducati so I am not sure what your point is, unless that is your objective measure of people who know a good bike? Of course i know that you will say trend is down but that just means objectively the best bikes ever were Harleys from the early 2000s
  10. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    The point is HARLEY'S CRATERING SALES.
  11. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Getting predictable there polly i edited to cover that already

Edit Lol polly autocorrected to pollution
  12. BetterLateThanNever

BetterLateThanNever Nice, until you're not.

Oddometer:
    Then, suddenly, oblivious to the fine advice available on this forum, the world’s largest motorcycle company introduced a new cruiser...
    phughes, AZbiker and Traxx like this.
  13. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Full of sound and Fury!
  14. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    So when sales weren't cratering then they were the better handling bikes?
    AZbiker, Vertical C and Traxx like this.
  15. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    They had enough people who didn't care.
  16. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ice one as well.

At least they didn't develop a new engine for it which is the point i guess . Consilidate your r and d but make what you can of existing stuff until the death of ice
    Traxx likes this.
  17. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is interesting. Depending on year, that should be a pretty good handling bike. Very stable from chassis standpoint. Of course, the suspension is very different based on year, or like in my case, was swapped out for a worse handling earlier model. From your other comments, you are very particular about foot position on the bike. If you had a hard time moving weight around on the bike I could see how you might not like it though.
    I don’t think most people have an issue with this.
    I actually took a bit to get used to it as well, but I think learning to race the motard on the track (another bike that I found very awkward) started getting used to moving my weight around on the bike in different ways.

I thonk most people would consider a new Harley touring bike to be a good handling bike.
  18. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    So the bikes are fine they are only cratering because they now have less people to sell to.

So they should be consolidating their line and moving into new markets......which is what they are doing

I am glad you are finally agreeing with what Harley are doing only took how many pages....
  19. jacktwitch

jacktwitch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    MVI, Bar None, Sal Pairadice and 2 others like this.
  20. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    "Plus, since the Rebel 1100 out performs just about any cruiser, we didn’t fall into the trap of just making it look like grandpa’s sled either. Forget the chrome-and-fringe bling: this Rebel is a whole new take on how a cruiser should look." - ouch
    MVI, Bar None, Sal Pairadice and 3 others like this.