You guys think Harley Davidson will last?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by tessalino, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    To be fair Honda tried to branch out what a cruiser should look like before. Then made the single pin vt1100.
    AZbiker, Ginger Beard and Traxx like this.
  2. CrapKerouac

CrapKerouac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty bold for a Japanese manufacturer to release a big cruiser that isn't a water cooled copy of a Harley-Davidson. I have to give credit to Honda for that. Times are changing.
    MVI, Bar None, AZbiker and 2 others like this.
  3. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    The problem is 800 lbs of heavy iron, not just at best mediocre suspension, slow to spool motor, or awkward ergos. No matter how much you move your own weight, it cannot compensate for all this mass insisting on trying to go in the same direction. How is it better commuter than 400-500 lbs bike with better suspension, motor, and comparable bags/windshield?

No, the bikes are crap, but fewer people are willing to put up with it.
  4. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Well, if you already have both the engine and the frame laying around, what marketing department would miss a chance to throw them together and see what happens? After a quick round or two of focus groups, of course...
    jacktwitch and CrapKerouac like this.
  5. jacktwitch

jacktwitch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah the Rebel 500 and AT are both solid platforms.
    Awesome to see the big engine in the smaller frame
    Bar None and Traxx like this.
  6. Traxx

Traxx Taxation is Theft Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking at the Rebel 1100 and comparing to the Triumph, Yamaha, Kawasaki and BMW, meh it really isn’t all that. But that is just spec sheets. How does it actually ride, what is the weight distribution, throttling, and comfort? I am sure it will fit someone very well. Others not so much.
    It seems like like to many are thinking that a bike that fits them and their needs is the only way to go and that they are being objective. Everything about motorcycles is subjective, because everyone is an individual with individual needs.
    Harley will survive no matter how much some want it to fail.
    Ride your own Ride and let me Ride mine.
  7. Samspade

Samspade Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Due to his incessant need to argue without any real substance, I put Liber****y on ignore. It makes reading this thread very interesting and highly entertaining. I can almost guess word for word what was said that you guys are responding to because he's said the same things for 280 pages.
    MVI, runpet, phughes and 5 others like this.
  8. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    you are also very sensitive to weight as well.
    While heavy, it is a touring bike, so in line weight wise with its competition.
    Funny, cycle world said the handling was pretty good when they listed it as one of the 10 best bikes in 2017
    https://www.cycleworld.com/best-touring-harley-davidson-road-king-special-ten-best-bikes-2017/

I think they also say it is one of the most comfortable and pleasurable bikes to ride.

I buy that you have a very specific bike you like, but when it comes to deciding whether bikes are crap or not, I think I will trust cycle world over you. No disrespect, I just figure they have more motorcycle knowledge and experience than you.
    Traxx, AZbiker and HuntWhenever like this.
  9. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Don’t you think that what makes it a touring bike, conflicts with what makes a good city commuter?
  10. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought it was going to, but the weight is carried so low, it really doesn’t.
    That is what I found surprising. The only time I even notice the weight is in parking lots when I push it backwards. When it is moving it feels pre light till you push it harder than makes sense in town. Since the triples give it a very aggressive rake, it tips in easy (easier than the Diavel since it has a very lazy rake). It actually makes it feel very agile.
    I need to post the video of my friend that taught Gymkhana courses. He was riding someone’s Harley Ultra through our formula 6 course. I have felt a bit weird about posting up on YouTube since he is not with us anymore (not motorcycle related) it would give you an idea what the new Harley touring chassis is capable of on a tight twisty course. It is pretty wild.
    Now that I have the new suspension on, I have not been able to push it hard enough to get it out of sorts. I would imagine I could on the track, but there is just no place on the street I would feel comfortable pushing it that hard. At some point I may do a track day, just to find out where the limits are.
  11. Traxx

Oddometer:
    B John Gymkhana courses in DFW? I would be interested in that, are they still going on with the Rona around?
    MVI and Big John Sny like this.
  12. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    not sure. Jim passed away right before Corona started. We were working out going to Texas Tornado Flat track school together. The beginning of this year had a lot of unexpected turns. I haven’t heard anything
    Traxx likes this.
  13. Traxx

Oddometer:
    I did take the Pro Rider course in Dallas, Basically MotorCops teaching what they could in a weekend. Those guys are impressive. Been trying to find something similar on my side of town.
    Big John Sny likes this.
  14. BetterLateThanNever

BetterLateThanNever Nice, until you're not.

Oddometer:
    If only that were true. He's actually contradicted himself many times, usually in pursuit of a reaction of some kind. But yeah, me too.
    Traxx likes this.
  15. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    Why don't you take your real life experiences, courteous opinions, and lack of internet extremism somewhere else. This is a Harley thread in the Perfect Line sub-forum. :dirtdog
    MVI, ZoomerP, AZbiker and 5 others like this.
  16. BetterLateThanNever

BetterLateThanNever Nice, until you're not.

Oddometer:
    Superlike.
    MVI, Ginger Beard, Traxx and 2 others like this.
  17. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Probably 205 but this is portraying an ‘image’

Which bit is a positive for harley?

Will HD survive, who knows?

The mentality certainly will.
  18. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    Art, personally, was the guy who sold me my R1200GS. A demonstrater, with about 90 miles on it...a 2009 I bought, untitled, in May 2010. Good deal on it.

I never got a chance to sample his service department. I was quite a ways away from the store - I was traveling back home from somewhere else, and the summer before I had been riding in Canada and saw a LOT of BMW GSs. I had scarcely seen them in Cleveland, where I had lived, and then in Michigan's UP where I was, at the time, living but moving away from.

I had time, thought I'd have a look, get some prices...and left with an offer to buy, which depended, for me, on a new job going through. It did, I bought, and he took a Jeep off my hands as a trade-in. Reasonably reasonable price for it, too.

Can't say I have many memories of him, but what business we did, was fair and square.
  19. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    In 2018 I bought a 2018 Road King Police with 8 miles for $16,000. Congrats on getting a $1,600 Kawi. Great deal.
    Series 1 are bicycles not motorcycles.
  20. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just like the 1903 Harley Davidson?
    sixspeed, Traxx, runpet and 2 others like this.