You guys think Harley Davidson will last?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by tessalino, Aug 24, 2019.

1. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Serial 1 has little in common with the LiveWire, or any modern motorcycle - regardless of the power source. It's a motorized bicycle, not an electric motorcycle. The Serial 1 styling is their hook, nothing more.
    Traxx and AZbiker like this.
  2. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    I'll credit Honda for building something different, a vertical two 1100 with a 270 degree phased crank to give it v-twin sound and feel and a great torque curve. But bombed in the looks department. I have ridden the new 250 and 500 Rebel Honda's, nice bikes and nice engines, but butt ugly. The fuel tank looks like an afterthought. In fact to me, the fuel tank looks like someone at Honda said, "oh crap, we designed the whole bike and forgot we have to mount a fuel tank on it!"

The result is a fuel tank perched on top of a semi-perimeter frame, which works for the likes of a standard/hybrid/sportbike. But on a cruiser it looks like a cheap afterthought. Honda did the same thing on the new Rebel 1100, AND the fuel tank is only 3.6 gallons capacity. Assuming the 1100 might make 45 mpg means the low fuel light is on at 135 miles. I think Honda could have done much better style wise with the Rebel 1100, looks way too much like the entry level 250 and 500 Rebel.
    Honda still makes the Shadow and Fury, which follow the typical cruiser format. Sure the new Rebel don't have to follow that stereotype. But Honda could have done much better on the Rebel 1100.

But to each their own; the responses on the youtube presentation of the 1100 seem very enthusiastic. Some even saying "best looking cruiser yet" so what do I know.
  3. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 1903 Harley has little in common with a 2020 motorcycle does that mean it was not a motorcycle?

9905.0.jpg

Thats a nice whatever it is
    Traxx and phughes like this.
  4. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think he means they both had peddles and a small motor
    Traxx and ZoomerP like this.
  5. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    South Park

They have been correct before.
    Samur and TonyKZ1 like this.
  6. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Set the 1903/Serial 1/HD aspect aside. The Serial 1 bicycles aren't motorcycles. Comparing a 1903 to a modern motorcycle as you have is meant to illustrate what, exactly?

The Serial 1 bikes aren't legally classified as motorcycles, and no one would confuse one for the other. The difference between a modern, motorized bicycle and modern motorcycle is easy to see. It doesn't matter who makes either one, what name is on it, or how good it looks.
    MVI, Traxx and AZbiker like this.
  7. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats where they started their ice journey in motorcycle so I see it as the same journey

Series one can keep the company going. I don't know why its suddenly a bad thing that Harley has more revenue streams. Surely that will help it survive
    Traxx and liberpolly like this.
  8. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok.
    Traxx and AZbiker like this.
  9. Andyvh1959

Oddometer:
    An electric bicycle will have, at most, minimal impact if any on keeping Harley going. It still costs money and resources to build them, and if Harley is outsourcing the electric bike production that means they are paying profits to that manufacturer. The net sales margin on an electric bicycle would have to be over 15% of the cost to build it. IF Harley could sell 100,000 per year at $150 net profit per bike, sure that's $1,500,000. But I doubt Harley would grab any significant market share of the electric bike market. To do that Harley would have to find some other sales resources than the typical Harley dealer.
    Traxx, AZbiker and Richarde1605 like this.
  10. CrapKerouac

CrapKerouac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Electric bike t shirts? Harley-Davidson t shirt jokes never get old.
    Traxx likes this.
  11. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought my grandson an electric Harley t shirt.

[​IMG]
    phughes, liberpolly, Traxx and 4 others like this.
  12. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hell, I might wear that.
    Rollin' and Traxx like this.
  13. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Well, they are planning to sell them mostly online.
  14. Andyvh1959

Oddometer:
    All in all, I just hope Harley makes it, whatever remains of the Harley we've known and commented on for decades. It'd be a shame that such an American icon could not be sustainable.
    tessalino likes this.
  15. SteelJM1

SteelJM1 Former Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer:
    Not a harley lover, or hater.

But give me one of these, because reasons.

LC_FABRICATIONS_Harley_Sportster_Dirtster_BIGS_01.jpg
    n8mandy, 2aRover, phughes and 8 others like this.
  16. AZbiker

AZbiker Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer:
    That's a whole lot of trick parts sitting there.
  17. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just another bike hd would never build, sadly.
    Their product line is pretty one dimensional as are the people here who tout them as the best thing since sliced bread.
    Will they survive with such a narrow range is the question?
    staedtler likes this.
  18. AZbiker

AZbiker Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer:
    Because it won't pass European emissions, and it flat-out won't sell in sufficient numbers in NA to justify its production.

Just the kicker mechanism on that bike cost $2,000 if it's not fake poser crap.

There are plenty of 2 year old brand new unsold adventure bikes, and even a few 3 year olds available for purchase in the USA. This is a scenario HD is trying to avoid.
    Ginger Beard, Traxx and MVI like this.
  19. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:

A sincere question for you.

Who here on ADVRIDER, has touted HD as the best motorcycle on the market?
    n8mandy, phughes, AZbiker and 4 others like this.
  20. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A sincere response, this page is about will hd survive or something, I am not going back to quote every single person arguing that their super low xlfxdrstx is better than a yamaha or ducati, but if I did there would be more than 1.
    I can organise to find every comment that says the xflxdr with the cop seat is better than that jap crap scooter.
    This is will they survive, not how much investment you have in doorags or the idea of components manufactured all over the world including China but the big butt, assembly and paint in the US. Carry on, it’s actually pretty boring being told that their shops are everywhere and absolutely fantastic, well not my experience buddy.
    If they survive or not they have never had a Buell or anything that I wanted, they lied to me, my fucken experience mate not yours.
    But this is about a business not emotional attachment.
    If I can be bothered I can dig up many posts suggesting that HD is the best in some categories, do you really want me to embarrass all the dick swingers that say they are the best because they are the most popular in their location?
    Address the fucken question, survival.

Sincerely
    Richard