1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

You guys think Harley Davidson will last?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by tessalino, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been riding since the 80's. Guzzi, BMW, Ducati, more BMWs and now a Harley. Always a full face helmet, regular jeans, motorcycle boots, leather gloves and textile jackets. No matter what I was riding. So am I a joke cuz I don't wear riding pants, leathers or a KLIM?
    Traxx and Sonny S. like this.
  2. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Exactly.
    But if you do wear ATGATT then you can be Joe cool motorcycle racer like.... Other people
  3. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    You don't look like a pirate so probably not a joke, but if you go down, you're taking a chance of becoming a lobster from the waist down.
  4. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did, on the Ducati. Woulda faired better with leathers or a Roadcrafter. But the real damage was done by my full face into my collarbone.
    Sonny S. likes this.
  5. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Ouch. Hope you recovered. My one splat broke my collarbone despite ATGATT - landed right on it at the point of impact, now I added air jacket to the gear. The skin was intact, despite flying over the hood of the car that chose to cross my path, the motorcycle boots and pants took most of the impact and were nearly destroyed.
  6. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nah it's the Harley.............
    neanderthal, Ginger Beard and Oilhed like this.
  7. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was at a dealer (where I work-again-starting Tuesday) yesterday. They have a EV charger hanging on the wall outside the service door. After thinking about it it's great idea. There will be Livewires parked at the dealership with owners hanging around waiting. Showing off their new toys. Talking to others who may have undecided opinions that are very interested in knowing the truth about the bike(s). They'll allow other makes to use it as well. Honestly seems like a sound marketing strategy to me. I'll be riding one soon. Might even tell you about it. :D
  8. tessalino

tessalino Long timer

Oddometer:
    (Meanwhile......yes, I know, old news, but..............)

"Harley Davidson halts production of the Livewire............."
    https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/harley-davidson-halts-electric-motorcycle-production.1790952/

Ironic, huh?
    Sal Pairadice likes this.
  9. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    This post is the best demonstration of the Dunning Kruger principal I've seen in the last 15 minutes. You are worried that someone might criticize your pants on a forum?? But willing to say " fuck all" and not worry about scraping your ass off at 60 mph on the road. That is some amazing logic right there!

Don't get riding pants dude. Stick to your guns. Risk it all. You show everyone you don't GAF if you shred you skin. Idiots wearing kevlar pants!! And you saved $100!!
  10. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Big words, not sure what it means, or care. I own riding pants. I use them when it’s cold or wet but choose not to when it’s not. Hope that doesn’t offend you, but I don’t care. My life, my choices. And my original post was all tongue in cheek, BTW.
    PeterTrocewicz and Traxx like this.
  11. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    No, I am sure it does not, but it is relevant to the thread. What a fuck up. And Ewan McGreggor is stranded? Yet Zero motorcycles are happily building bikes every day. I would have said that HD will evolve and grow, maybe late and slow, but they would do it.

I think they are going to struggle. Their stock dropped from $58 to $36 over the last 5 years when the economy is booming. Their competition is better every year. What are they going to do in the next recession?
  13. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sometimes I wonder if folks actually read the article before commenting on it.
    I am curious if it is a hardware or software issue on the charging system, if it is the bike side or the home charger side. I would bet on the bike side since production has stopped. Since there is no recall yet I am hoping that it is a easy fix or a very specific set of conditions.
  14. overtone

overtone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree that HD pirates on the whole represent the unfortunate confluence of low skill and unimpressive IQ + EQ. The people that need gear most, are out there wearing infantile skull t-shirts.

The people who are really good, however, are safer in street clothes than a run-of-the-mill ATGATT Michelin Man. Safer because of vision - looking and thinking three steps ahead - and the ability to react fluidly rather than freezing.

Consider that in the case of your one get-off, or one like it, there are OG moto tacticians that smell trouble coming and avoid the whole issue, and are able to pull off a high-G maneuver and escape when SHTF is imminent. Are you the safer, bouncing along all ATGATT?

So that's my humble and semi-humorous proposal. Let's not be driver's ed graduates in mom's Corolla, chastising million mile accident-free truck drivers for not wearing their seatbelts now and again. There is more variety in this world than a simplistic ATGATT prescription encompasses.
    Richarde1605, Traxx and gen1fizzy like this.
  15. severely

severely almost a noob

Oddometer:
    Home charger side is what I've read
    Traxx likes this.
  16. overtone

overtone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    People project their fears and lack of ability, and don't grasp that skill is much more important and effective than gear. Moto cops in short sleeves are not part of that cocooned and righteous reality.

I started out as a commuter, sport bike hooligan, and AFM road racer, necessarily ATGATT in those brutal balls-out conditions involving regular pavement surfing. But now in much more chilled out ADV circumstances, decades later, I wear some combination of comfortable rally / enduro / trials gear on the street. Yes, crashing at 70 on the freeway would be a bad scene in dirt pants, but the chances of that are extremely low. I am very comfortable with this risk-weighted arrangement. But to some people, this is the height of irresponsibility. Oh well...
    Traxx likes this.
  17. mb8

mb8 One planet, no option.

Oddometer:
    Well that is just very wrong......and not just by a little. The right answer starts with a H but does NOT end with Davidson.
    EZMoney and neanderthal like this.
  18. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Might just be a regional thing seeing as you two are separated by the diameter of a planet. I see more Harleys when I'm out than other brands. And I'm closer to Jrmal than you.
    Traxx and Oilhed like this.
  19. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    In the US Honda is not even the Japanese brand I see most.
    Traxx likes this.
  20. mb8

mb8 One planet, no option.

Oddometer:
    The US is a tiny motorcycle market compared to....you know the rest of the planet.
    neanderthal likes this.