You guys think Harley Davidson will last?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by tessalino, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    Here's my retort; I was one of those fluid moto tacticians,riding fast - right up until I didn't see the 20' patch of stone dust on a high speed corner and high sided, breaking... too many bones. I never saw it, so I didn't react to it. When I woke up (yeah, woke up) I was glad that I had covered myself head to toe in heavy thick armor that morning. I had one tiny patch of road rash, where my jacket had separated from my pants and inch or so. So I had been sliding face down, tumbling unconcious and...protected by gear that was a PITA to wear and that I never thought I would need.

I cracked my FF Snell helmet. Absolutely would have been dead. Before the accident, I was a motorcycle God. Always escaping injury and using my skills. It can happen real fast.
    overtone, Richarde1605 and AzB like this.
  2. DR Donk

DR Donk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well said! :thumb I have had just one serious accident in thirty eight years of riding. I had a collision with a deer I was told. I have no memory of it. You just don't know if or when it could happen.
  3. AzB

AzB Fattest thin man

Oddometer:
    Yep. You can go a million miles with no problems and then suddenly be smacked with a freak accident.

Pride cometh before a fall.

Risk/consequences.
    Coondawg_07 likes this.
  4. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got some numbers to back that up? What percentage is tiny?

For the ATGATT crowd.

Attached Files:

5. hamiamham

hamiamham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    in terms of unit sales the US is a rounding error vs the rest of the world. about 450K 2-wheelers sold in the US vs more then 60mm worldwide.

any other statistics you are too lazy to google?
    neanderthal, mb8, mitchxout and 2 others like this.
  6. liberpolly

liberpolly Nu, shoyn, nudnick!

Oddometer:
    I think it's absolutely ridiculous to assume that people who are good are less attentive in ATGATT than in t-shirt and brain bucket. Maybe it's true for you, but it is definitely not so for me, or for literally any good rider I know. Most likely it is not true for you either, it's just a canard to justify laziness.
    tlub and Sal Pairadice like this.
  7. Traxx

Oddometer:
    I didn't make the claim, and when I do I provide context and proof. Why should I google?

Edit : As a matter of fact, what are your sources? The reason I ask is that many on here like to make shit up.
  8. mitchxout

mitchxout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good luck trying to find anything to the contrary.
    mb8 likes this.
  9. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    However it's the one we see. I would imagine Australia is a small(er) market as there are several US states with a larger population.
    Traxx likes this.
  10. mb8

mb8 One planet, no option.

Oddometer:
    Oh boy American's are super sensitive these days. I suggest some travel, see the World.
    mitchxout likes this.
  11. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is that what you take away from that? Aren't we special.
  12. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not being ATGATT is an informed compromise I make, and as such I ride very conservatively. I can say I do keep it dialed down because of it to leave a very wide margin for error. It doesn't seem to be a stretch that some may take more risk because they're ATGATT.

That said, I have a hard time imagining someone being more, or less attentive when riding because of what they wear. I consistently practice the same level of roadcraft regardless of traffic conditions, vehicle I'm operating, or what I'm wearing.
  13. mitchxout

mitchxout Long timer

Oddometer:
    My guess is a rider who's Atgatt is probably more versed in all aspects of road safety. Informed is forearmed.

For the sake of the original post; no, I don't think Harley is going to last at their current trajectory. I think it's safe to say the M8 isn't going to save the Company.

In fact, I remember not so long ago Harley only made up 5% of USA road bikes. The Evo, Malcombe Forbes (and Elizabeth Taylor!), even the Terminator, did their part to spread the v-twin love. In 08, it took a gov't bailout to keep the MoCo alive.

I don't expect today's culture or political climate to save the MoCo this time. Not to mention, the faithful stalwarts are in revolt mode, looking at Indians, Bmws, Advs, et. My last trip to local dealer was interrupted at the front by 4 loud guys complaining about their bike problems. Not good for business!
    mb8 likes this.
  14. liberpolly

liberpolly Nu, shoyn, nudnick!

Oddometer:
    The compromise part is what I could never understand. Compromise with what? My motorcycle leather jacket, kevlar jeans, and motorcycle-specific boots are every bit as comfy as regular clothes.

The keeping it dialed down part is definitely something we all should work on outside of the track, though. Regardless of clothes.
    mb8 likes this.
  15. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Compromise as in wearing work clothes, and commercial fishing rain gear because it's cheaper, more durable, more comfortable (I'm 6' 235 lbs), more convenient, warmer, and dryer.
    A Grundens rain suit over heavy work clothes and a thick wool coat isn't exactly shorts and a T-shirt.
    An informed compromise, not a complete disregard, or denial.
    mitchxout and Richarde1605 like this.
  16. Rhino-1

Rhino-1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a statement filled with incomplete data. Total motorcycle sales in 2018, for example, may total "132mm," but that figure includes mopeds, small displacement scooters, electric scooters, etc., dominateed by the Indian and Chinese markets. I spent 5 mintues researching, and the flaws in the assertion above becomes readily apparent even in that small amount of time. If there were a way to calculate sales of motorcyckes larger than 300cc, for example, I suspect the numbers would change dramatically. The US is a VERY important market for the larger, more expensive, and flagship motorcycles made worldwide--this is why BMW, GUZZI, Ducati, etc look to the US market as the basis for many of their most expensive, leading-edge new designs. This is not the forum for an in-depth discussion on this, so I'll stop here.
  17. hamiamham

hamiamham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And your statement....has no data....

My general comment was in response to a general comment that was made.

not sure what the policy is to link to other sites but motorcyclesdata dot com has anything anyone would want in terms of data...
    mitchxout and mb8 like this.
  18. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    Why larger than 300cc? Is it because that would eliminate a lot of the 125/ 175/ 200/ 250/ 275cc bikes and scooters most of the rest of the world seems to predominantly buy?
    mb8 likes this.
  19. Traxx

Oddometer:
    Maybe now you see why it is important to state your source or are you to lazy to stick a link in there?
    Rhino-1 likes this.
  20. Rhino-1

Rhino-1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    See, now you're on to something. Where do we draw the line? Who keeps those stats? It is not logical to compare a $600 domestically-produced (in the third world) motorbike with even an American market "toy bike" such as a CR450R (costing very nearly $10,000)--let alone the more popular Harley Sportsters (at around the same), etc. All I'm saying is that Mark Twain was absolutely spot-on about statistics--at least when it comes to how they're often presented.