You guys think Harley Davidson will last?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by tessalino, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    We all see people ( including friends) riding around in t shirts and sneakers all the time. No one freaks out. On a forum it might seem like people are hyper. I even ride on very short rides - a couple blocks - in regular clothes. But once you get above say 40 mph the energy and friction that is going to hit you when you go down is enormous.

The thing is, my crash - I was on a short spin, 4 miles to home, all alone, empty road, sunny and warm. If there was ever a time to not put on gear that was it. But I had forced myself to keep putting on the gear religiously. And so , here I am. This we owe to the people who care about us.
    Lep, Traxx and mb8 like this.
  2. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are many who see an ATGATT rider and think they're crazy for riding a motorcycle. Live your own life and ride your own ride. Remember Larry?
    neanderthal, Ginger Beard and Traxx like this.
  3. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are right we do owe it to the people that care about us. I ride ATGATT and hopefully provide an example. I do not offer unsolicited advice on gear or equipment. Nor do I insult those that don’t dress like I do or ride the same style or type of bike as I do.
    It’s all about ride your own ride, live your own life, and pay for your own mistakes.
    Don’t hurt people, don’t take their stuff and taxation is theft.
  4. tessalino

tessalino Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

The bike looks ok, though.
  5. tessalino

tessalino Long timer

Oddometer:
    Then, there's something like...........
    [​IMG]
  6. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    I'm not drawing a line. It is absolutely logical to compare a $600 locally produced third world cycle to a Sportster as they are both motorcycles, certainly when it comes to sales volumes. Which was the point of

Not doing so, and parsing the figures to reflect the American market predominantly, is pretending the rest of the world doesn't exist, and that's not a world that HD exists in; they don't have that luxury, not when they are closing a US assembly plant and opening one overseas. That's a world GM, Ford and Italian Chrysler are going to be forced to compete in if there is another surge in gas prices, what with their over reliance on trucks for profits. VW and Toyota are the 2 biggest auto companies because their portfolio of vehicles is suitable for worldwide consumption whereas Ford, GM FiatChry, not so much.

Harley may be the biggest gorilla when it comes to motorcycle sales in the (North American) room, but in the whole world, that room is a closet.
    mb8 and hamiamham like this.
  7. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    That taxation is theft thing is getting really old. Who do you think paves the road you are riding on? You think they work for free or you think they are thieves? Or you don't think?

Talk about an insult. Thanks for coming clean like that so I can disregard the rest of your commentary.
    mb8 and Traxx like this.
  8. liberpolly

liberpolly Nu, shoyn, nudnick!

Oddometer:
    When it hits the asphalt, there's no practical difference, a wool coat has no much more shredding resistance than a cotton t-shirt.

Fishing rain gear, sure. Riding vs. working clothes underneath? Really stupid in my opinion, but I definitely hope you will never find out.
  9. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    The roads are paid through usage fees tucked into the price of gasoline, and fees on heavy trucks, people are free to not pay them if they don't want to use the roads.

When people say "taxation is theft", they usually mean income taxes taken at the gunpoint, not voluntarily paid usage fees mistakenly called "taxes". Is it more clear, without venturing into a political argument?
  10. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    No.
    What about schools, libraries, county hospitals, local parks, national parks, airports, train stations ans a multitude of commons we all use? They make life better.
    I'll gladly pay my taxes than live in ... let me not complete that thought and send this thread to the basement.
    mb8 and Traxx like this.
  11. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    Schools are paid for with property taxes in the place you choose to live in. Airports are paid for with airplane fees tucked into your tickets. Etc. etc. You will find that majority of things you like are paid in the way that allows opt out, whereas the majority of things you don't like - for example, salaries of millions of bureaucrats in the federal government - are paid in the way that doesn't allow opt out. And that's for a good reason.
  12. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    Here I was under the impression that property taxes paid to upkeep the school but they were built with government money, through bonds and stuff.
  13. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been down 3 times in the past 30 years wearing work clothes with minimal strawberries and bruises.
    My helmet and gloves are MC gear, and I don't think steel toe work boots give up much to MC boots.
    I know I'm less protected then if I wore armoured MC jacket and pants, but I feel the compromise is reasonable.
    Traxx and EZMoney like this.
  14. overtone

overtone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But I made no such assumption. My point is merely that skilled riders who are extremely unlikely to crash, are (much) safer without some or all gear, than less skilled riders who are covered head to toe.

A thought experiment, made extreme to illustrate the point. Let's take a Chris Birch and an MSF new rider graduate. Chris will be wearing suspenders, a kilt, and high heels, and the MSF graduate will be wearing the Klim catalog. And then we'll send them out to cruise some twisties for a month, with instructions to keep it chill and stay safe.

I hope we can agree that Birchie will remain safe and sound with a 99.99% probability. Whereas our hapless nooblet is 50% likely to end up pavement surfing, and then it's the luck of the draw as to whether they hit fixed objects or get run over, in which case the Klim catalog will be helpful by keeping the corpse intact for easier cleanup.

If we then criticize Birch for being a squid and a hipster fashionista, we should, if we are not hypocrites, tell the MSF ATGATTer to just hang it up and stay home. But we don't.

And so we circle back to my point, which is that we shouldn't hurry to dispense blanket condemnation to people wearing jeans. It might just be that the jeans (or kilt!) wearer is statistically much better off than the ATGATTer.
    Traxx likes this.
  15. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I disagree. A Kymco small displacement bike is not gonna replace a Harley or vice versa. Comparing similar weight, cc or style makes more sense. The Honda Cub is the worlds most popular bike with more sold than any other model. But I doubt a single one replaced a single Harley, Goldwing or GSXR
    inline4 and Traxx like this.
  16. overtone

Oddometer:
    I don't disagree, but here's another personal perspective.

Riding a carbon road bicycle in the same hilly coastal twisties loved by motos, I've descended at 40-50mph through damp spots, leaves, what have you. 25mm wide 100 psi tires, wearing 2 mm of lycra. This is considered perfectly normal if you're a cyclist.. and what's the alternative, leathers?

Puts the gear debate into an interesting perspective, doesn't it. And puts seat comfort into perspective. We have people bitching that they can't spend an hour on some OEM seat or another. To them I say, spend 6 hours on this before complaining.

(Ironically, spending hours in a bicycle seat would turn the fat, weak, pill-popping American into a much healthier and more robust Individual, and all of a sudden that factory seat will become wonderfully comfortable.)

5A99E631-6D43-4AC8-B631-E7394D26179A.jpeg

Stirring the pot today, good times...
    HuntWhenever, Traxx and Richarde1605 like this.
  17. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hate reading presumptuous comments like that. Health issues over the last 2 years, leading to weight gain, has severally curtailed my once 200+ mile a week cycling.
    inline4 and Traxx like this.
  18. overtone

Oddometer:
    That was purely a statistical observation. We have a heck of a national problem.

But I feel your pain. Just recently I spent two years working long hours, including all but a few weekends. Either sitting at the computer, or sitting for travel, and insufficient sleep. Stopped my 7-800 calorie morning rides, didn't stop eating, and gained 50 lbs. I've been chipping away at that, 20 lbs to go.

(OECD dataset, excluding Polynesia and such)

Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 3.41.37 PM.png
    Traxx likes this.
  19. Traxx

Oddometer:
    So, it looks like the Livewire is Live again. A one off issue, at least we know that they are actually doing some quality control.
    liberpolly likes this.
  20. Traxx

Oddometer:
    Me I just like to eat to much good food and I like my beer as well.