You guys think I'm crazy for DS'ing a 2007 CR125?

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by jcat5503, Jul 8, 2015.

1. jcat5503

jcat5503 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello all, Advrider newb here. Long time rider though.

Anyways, I'm considering dual sporting my 2007 CR125 here in Texas. The laws are simple so thats no concern. You guys think its worth it, or would it be more trouble than its worth on the street? Just wanted to get some opinions...

I have done the 6 speed swap from the earlier bikes and am in the process of re gearing it to hopefully get a 55mph comfy cruise. I'd love to do the shadow of the Rockies trail one day..

Cheers!
  2. jsinclair

jsinclair Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got a 97..... Personally I'd hate to have to deal with the horrible fuel economy (I get ~20mpg on fast trail rides). And premix... But if its your only bike why not.
  3. Winnipegfats

Winnipegfats Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have always been a fan of the DS aesthetic, so I think they are the best looking bikes on the road. If it's that easy then go for it! You'll look cool! And anyone who says it's not about looking cool is lying!
  4. phreakingeek

phreakingeek Big Ear Inc - Virginia Provider

Oddometer:
    I've seen a couple smaller 2strokes that were tagged and riding with us on dualsport rides.

I dont think they were very happy on the pavement sections though. You can do it, but I dont think you'll like the way it rides on any long runs on flat roads.

If it doesnt cost you much, I say go for it. No way to know if it's the bike you need for your kind of riding until you give it a shot.
  5. Racer111v

Racer111v Long timer

Oddometer:
    If your just running on the road to get to the trail, it will be fine. If you plan on an hour or more at a time, the engine won't last very long at any speeds more than 40mph or so. My YZ250 with a wide ratio gets pretty old after a half hour or so.
  6. AlpinaE24

AlpinaE24 Long timer

Oddometer:
    my 6 spd husky has pretty decent road manners for what it is, I don't see why a 125 can't cruise with longer gearing.

Look at how many crappy little displacement 2 stroke scooters are buzzing around with fat people on them. Plated smokers are a ton of fun, if it doesn't have enough power sell it and get a 250..or better yet a 500:evil
    zaTTaz likes this.
  7. PistonPants

PistonPants Crankcase Scavenger

Oddometer:
    Dual-sport and CR125 shouldn't be said in the same breath. Put all the lights horn tags and insurance you want on that thing and it's still a cop magnet. Just poach public roads to connect trails and get yer ya-ya's. Good luck and be careful!

Piston
  8. CousinLarry

CousinLarry Ridin Dirty

Oddometer:
    I dual sport my KTM 200. As long as it's not long stretches of highway, it's fine. I keep a small container of oil in my pack, enough to treat one gallon.. If I need gas, that's usually enough.

I ride the roads to get to the trails for the most part.
  9. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll keep watching this thread to see how it turns out. I have an old CR 250 that I rarely ride anymore but can't bring myself to sell. Maybe if this works out okay for you, I might consider it too.
  10. GoThere@50

[email protected] Getting older, poorer and possibly wiser.

Oddometer:
    From the 70's through the 90's some of the best Dual Sport (Enduro) motorcycles you could buy were two strokes. I had one and rode it everywhere, including interstates and it performed well and was reliable. Two strokes have some serious advantages, no cam chain issues, no valve adjustments, no oil filters, very little internal friction losses, minimal maintenance requirements and what is required is simple to do. If it's air cooled it only has 3 moving parts above the base gasket. They produce very good power in a small compact engine with a lower center of gravity. Keep your pre-mix ratio conservative, jet slightly rich on the main and set final gearing tall. It should hold up just fine. Their inherit mechanical simplicity leaves very few points for failure. As a general rule Honda's CRs are tough engines anyway. Just keep in mind that they were designed to run with a wide degree of on and off throttle modulation (Motocross). In a constant high RPM setting you could reach the limits of upper cylinder and head cooling. That's why I mentioned the jetting, pre-mix & gearing. I have several nice four strokes to ride and I'm still riding these. Have Fun. :clap

[​IMG]
  11. stevo7706

stevo7706 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ride/race a KX125 on MX tracks, (in your city too,3palms, Rio Bravo,etc)....but a CR125 as a dual sport, I don't know. I think I would leave the plate off.
  12. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    haven't ridden one myself, so can't really comment on that bike. i can comment that having a tag on my kdx220 is a very sweet thing. 15-20 miles on the road (on my bike) to connect trail heads isn't a major annoyance, but it's much more comfortable on my drz. having the tag, and insurance, that actually match the VIN (lol, don't ask) and not worrying about wether or not a leo is behind me, is a very nice thing.

cruising through the middle of town without hassle is liberating. sure, you have poor fuel economy, but that doesn't matter much when you hit the trails and don't have that extra 100lbs of four-stroke to deal with.

i say do it. if nothing else, you learn you don't really love it on the street, and can sell it for a higher price since it's street legal.

short version: i really like my street legal dirt bike.
  13. matty86suk

matty86suk Buccaneer

Oddometer:
    Do it!! I'd love to plate a 2 smoke, I, myself would opt for a 250/300 but a 125 would be fun.
  14. bananagas

bananagas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sure , sounds fun.
  15. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    just did a short 80mile ride n shoot with the kool kids around maplesville al.

GREAT guys, great time. I'll be doing more of these ds type of rides this fall. sure is fun to aim for every whoop, log, ditch, stump, and rock along the road and just cruise along. :)
  16. boingk

boingk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do it.

If nothing else you'll figure out its niche and just use it for that, even if it means just riding to a trail at 50mph and going for a ride before coming straight back... you'll still love it. And if that's all you want then I can't think of why you wouldn't!

Make sure you run decent JASO-FC rated oil (Valvoline '2 Stroke Race' JASO-FC has never let me down yet) and have the jetting set so its not lean anywhere. Don't forget to give it a bit of a 'rev up' on road transits, either... I used to slow down 20kmh or so, drop a gear or two on my Aprilia 125 and then blast back up again to clear her out. If I didn't and was holding it in cruise she would foul the plug and start to misfire so I would remember to let her run.

Plus, giving a 125cc MX two-stroke a kickstart on a sunny weekend morning and ripping it onto the road... just so you can go and get some milk? Priceless.

Seriously, do it.

- boingk
  17. dhallilama

dhallilama Long timer

Oddometer:
    geared so it doesn't scream at speed and jetted so it doesn't foul when lugging... i dont' see why it couldn't do the job.

throw some premix in a toolbag along with a spare plug, be prepared to futz with jetting and have fun. best of luck keeping your license :D
  18. Koolranch

Koolranch NCADVR

Oddometer:

What happens if one of the bikes goes over the red line on the floor? Nice collection.
  19. offroadtoys

offroadtoys Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a plated 01 YZ125 and it is a blast! Aside from gearing and jetting adj, as mentioned, there is not a lot to change. So it's easy to go back if you don't like it. By the way, there is NO WAY you won't like it!
    Glenn247 likes this.
  20. Glenn247

Glenn247 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Resurrecting an old thread here; do you run a larger tank on your plated YZ125?

How's your range?

I'm considering dual sporting a Honda CR125R and would likely get the 3.7 gallon IMS tank...