1. eNewsletter Sign Up

You have $450 to spend on your bike. What do you buy..?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by gearsoup, Apr 28, 2018.

1. gearsoup

gearsoup Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Stock 2013 F800 GS, factory lowered. Nice bike, I do love it. I'd like to start farkling it out over time, with an eye towards the more important upgrades.

I do not ride off road, save for the occasional groomed fire road. No single track.

My first thought is a seat. The stock (lowered) seat is good for about an hour or 2 before I start to feel it in my lower back (I'm 5'8", 200 lbs, 29" inseam). I'd like to put on some higher mileage trips this season, perhaps through the White Mountains of NH (I'm in Southern Maine), so the comfort would be appreciated

My second thought was to upgrade the front suspension. It sure takes a dive when I grab the front brake. If I go front springs, what/who matches up with the factory lowered spring in regards to height reduction?

The only mod this bike has thus far is barkbusters.

I'd appreciate feedback on what's the best bang for my buck
  2. Lancebringer

Lancebringer ATGATT

Oddometer:
  3. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    450 doesn't go far.
    an alaskan leather sheepskin cover.
    hyperpro lowering spring kit (not the best option but fairly cheap) call klaus for compatability
    maybe a set of rox risers to adjust your position a bit ?

i think you have some change left too
    gearsoup likes this.
  4. gearsoup

gearsoup Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nah, I know $450 doesn't go far. I actually have more than that, I could go up to 650 or so. I know it's still not a lot to work with :(
  5. gearsoup

gearsoup Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If I go with risers, I'll make my own. I don't have a machine shop just to buy something I can (somewhat) easily make myself :D
  6. steiny

steiny Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Take a rider training class ( track day Or Total Control )

the best $$$$ I have ever spent was on ME
    Arbolmano, gearsoup and szurszewski like this.
  7. machinebuilder

machinebuilder Long timer

Oddometer:
    +++++

or gas and tires
  8. avrz10

avrz10 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seat concepts seat kit might help then the fork springs
  9. Nesbocaj

Nesbocaj The NEW Soylent Green Deal???

Oddometer:
    Seat! SEAT! hahaha...yeah seat. I like Sargent seats, I like Russell better but $$.
    Then modify the forks, progressive springs, Ricor insert. I have done neither of these yet, but hope to this season.
    Lighting.
  10. elcabong

elcabong Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Seat Concepts seat kit - well within your budget. Touring Seat kit was very comfortable. Hard or soft panniers (always check the FM for great deals).
  11. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    Oil, filters and tires for the next few years or riding and maybe a chain and sprocket set or two.
  12. Pilotuh1b

Pilotuh1b Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BMW Comfort Seat second hand if you can get one and it’s not too tall for you.

Front suspension isn’t adjustable, so changing springs helps a lot. Don’t get Touratech progressive springs. They use Hyperpro anyway and just double the cost for the name. Order Hyperpro from someone directly.

Hyperpro do lowered spring kits which should be good. There are three options and a good mech/Hyperpro/Klaus? should know which one suits. Good luck and enjoy.

Oh, not sure how far $450 US goes. In Aus you’d be able to buy a BMW T-shirt. :(
  13. FightingFriar

FightingFriar Two stroker at heart

Oddometer:
    Love my little GS, and after a couple of years on the bike it’s now set up perfect for me. My suggestions for upgrading as you can:

Seat. I have a Sargent that I dearly love. Went from 30 minutes to three hours before I need a break.
    Forks. That dive will drive you nuts after awhile. I tried every cheap fix imaginable with no luck. It’s going to sting a little, but call Konflict and put the Ohlins kit in it. You will be very happy.
    Scott’s steering damper. Completely gets rid of the front end skittishness, especially when loaded. I bought the kit for the 800 GS that includes the bar risers. As a machinist you can take care of the mounting yourself.
    Machine yourself some decent wheel spacers. The soft aluminum ones get grooved out quickly and let crap get to the wheel bearings.
    As you get some miles on the bike, you’ll come to really appreciate this forum. Lots of great info on just about anything on the bike.

Congrats on the bike!
  14. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I also have the 2013 factory lowered edition . Softest forks I have ever had !! Nobody seems to have a specific kit for the lowered bikes of that year . I ended up getting Traxxion Dynamics to make me a 1" lower than the standard spec AK-20 cartridge kit . When you order make sure to specify which fork Manufacturer you have . I think they retail for about $ 1000 . They are fully adjustable and a huge improvement . Good luck with your budget . :imaposer
  15. B_C_Ries

B_C_Ries Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would go with a weatherproof box for the back and tie down points on the box make it better.

[​IMG]
    9Realms likes this.
  16. slowagain

slowagain Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Russell DayLong seat!!!
  17. cjw25

cjw25 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can’t the fork cartridges be revalved starting in 2013? I would start with that for budget front suspension mod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  18. Tigershark48

Tigershark48 My other BMW is a Roadster.

Oddometer:
    At 5’8”, risers shouldn’t be required. I just read a post saying they removed their risers which was better. If your load is modest, a steering stabilizer shouldn’t be necessary either.

My total add ons on my F700 include:
    1. MRA Vario Touring screen. $185
    2. Kaoko throttle lock $135
    3. Af-Xied fuel/air controller $200
    4. Grab-on neoprene grip sleeves $20
    5. Stainless radiator guard $30
    6. Stebel Nautilus (same as Denali) air horn $50
    7. Kick stand foot widener $40
    8. Puig crash bars $200
    9. Seat Concepts Touring seat kit - not installed yet. I plan on 500 miles with oem seat back-to-back with 500 miles on new seat for accurate evaluation. $180

I weigh 165 lbs and have no issues with stock suspension. Rear suspension is set for comfort via my electronic suspension adjustment (ESA). No front end dive problems.

No off road riding to date.
  19. morfic

morfic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Our fronts unfortunately do not adjust via ESA, that's reserved to ESA on the big bikes.

Picking these three of your add-ons he'd be at $425
    While I don't have your screen I still combine my MRA X-CREEN with my Vstream so I second anything with an MRA laminar lip.
    AF-XIED is a defacto standard and I'm lacking the foot widener and had a "oh shit, not here" moment without it.

And I refuse to total up my farkles, I prefer to think "it wasn't all that much", except for one item for which I'll admit it was a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tigershark48 likes this.
  20. Tigershark48

Tigershark48 My other BMW is a Roadster.

Oddometer:
    Could that possibly be a slip on?

And, yes. I stand corrected. ESA only controls the rear. Thanks for the input.