you hit what?

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by HoBeau, Jan 10, 2011.

1. HoBeau

HoBeau around the bend

Oddometer:
    Yep, the speed bump took me out.

[​IMG]

Scratches and broke my left mirror too.

[​IMG]

Did I mention 10 nights in 2 hospitals

[​IMG]

Clutched at 15 - 20 mph going over speed bump, I dumped the clutch on the other side - should have eased it out. Cold rear tire started slide, assing out to the left - no big deal. This was my chance to save it, I just wasn’t too concerned and didn’t react. Figured the revs would pick up and we’d be all good. Should have clutched again.

Road here is single car one way though - rather than crossing yellow, the rear found some pine straw, little more left assing. Then I reconnect with asphalt and high side. Straightened leg rams femur into tibia with great force. Shattered tibial plateau. 90 days non weight bearing then back in action. Got a lot to do in 2011!!

[​IMG]

These are fracture blisters. They occur when the body sends more fluid to a trauma area than tissue can absorb. Literally bubbles up through the skin.

[​IMG]
  2. nevermind

nevermind know when to fold 'em, know when to run

Oddometer:
    Who woulda thunk it??? Heal quick!
  3. lemieuxmc

lemieuxmc Banned

Oddometer:
    Ouch!

Who is the dumb ass who invented those stupid things anyway?
  4. amr2ul

amr2ul Machinery 2 Upper Level

Oddometer:
    Who is the dumb ass who invented those stupid things anyway?

Roger that! Just try driving a fire truck over one!

Suthern, heal quick brother and DON'T blow off the rehab.:huh
  5. O.C.F.RIDER

O.C.F.RIDER Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Holy Smokes!!!!!!!!!! :eek1:eek1:eek1:eek1:eek1:eek1:eek1:eek1
    I broke lots of stuff over the years and NEVER have I had the pleasure of something looking like THAT!

Oh well, at least you did it in the dead of winter.

Heal well!
  6. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    Nice - never seen anything like that (blister). I tore up both front CV joints on a Georgia speed bump. More like a speed platform. Not surprised one took out a bike.

Brave man to ride in Atl - weren't you gettin snow sunday?

Heal up.
  7. HoBeau

HoBeau around the bend

Oddometer:
    Thanks for wishes on recovery - it will happen - just going to take some time.

Those blisters are new to me as well - though fractures are not. I started feeling more of a burning pain on day2 and asked to have the foam stabilizer brace removed. Was shocked. The burning was a result of skin tearing away from leg tissue - skinned alive - son of bitch!

This shot shows fluid collection above the knee. Left of pic is towards foot. Discoloration is not a bruise related - no pain whatsoever. It is simply where excess fluids collected during the first couple of days.

[​IMG]
  8. HoBeau

HoBeau around the bend

Oddometer:
    :thumb
    Incident occurred on afternoon of Wed 12/29, surgery Thr 1/6 released Sunday 1/9 - and yes, we are in the grips of snow and ice the last couple of days:vardy

One thing I've not mentioned is ATGATT. Nurses at both hospitals commented 'never seen an MC accident without road rash.' I wasn't traveling at speed so we can't do any textile performance discussion but I sure am glad it was between me and tarmac. Not a scratch :clap

I also believe shoulder armor saved me from a collar bone brake. It's still very sore as it took secondary impact but not broken. :thumb
  9. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    ...so sorry to hear about your off. Where were you with those hellacious speed bumps???? Hope you're doing alright with the "shut-down" "snow in" we got going on here. Best wishes for a full recovery. Glad you weren't on the /5:huh
  10. HoBeau

HoBeau around the bend

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jenna. Snow jam 2011 hasn't slowed me down :D Keeping the leg elevated, trying to manage this swelling.

Part of recovery plan included some in house PT and a helluva nice guy walked over to my place this morning. He pointed out what the Dr's hadn't mentioned, I hadn't noticed, and what the pic clearly shows. Broke that darn fibula too :slurp

I guess the fibula was about as relevant as loosing the big toe nail in the overalls. :lol3

Gonna have to use your zoom button

[​IMG]
  11. HoBeau

HoBeau around the bend

Oddometer:
    And yes! That would truly be :cry

The speed bump is on property of workplace - hopefully I'll be it's only victim.
  12. Uncle Pollo

Uncle Pollo Bad Hombre

Oddometer:
    pass or fail test

you passed
  13. lemieuxmc

lemieuxmc Banned

Oddometer:
    I'll bet that if you had been on the /5 the power delivery wouldn't have caused you to fall at all.
  14. HoBeau

HoBeau around the bend

Oddometer:
    Agree it would have been different scenario and outcome on the /5.

Smash wasn't power delivery though - a result of engine braking with very cold tire. Less traction on rear than friction/inertia in drive train caused lock and slide. :muutt
  15. henrymartin

henrymartin Mr. Tourguide no more.

Oddometer:
    Man, those blisters look nasty!

I've had some fractures and a knee surgery, but they inserted a vacuum bottle with a tube going right into the affected area (stitched in, temporarily) to drain any excess fluid from the wound.

I hate speedbumps, especially the ones that double as a crosswalk and are painted bright yellow on the edges, then have painted lateral stripes on top.

Heal quick and well.
  16. paulmasoner

paulmasoner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I feel for ya man, I've got plateau fractures and avulsions where the ACL/PCL/LCL tore when my knee dislocated. I've only got about 3-4 weeks left before I can start putting weight on it. It goes by faster than you think. And if you dont have any major tissue damage, only bone, then you'll be back to normal activity in no time :beer
  17. HoBeau

HoBeau around the bend

Oddometer:
    Thank you my broken Belgian brother. Glad you are getting close to the end of this set back. I'm trying to get a few of the duller things accomplished while stationary. Have found that a Duvel at the end of each day is very good for morale. :freaky

Best wishes for your speedy and full recovery.
  18. dan0

dan0 just going with it.

Oddometer:
    Get better soon.

Where the pics of hot nurses? :evil
  19. Commanderkewl

Commanderkewl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hot nurses? Damitalltahell mine was nurse cratchit.. Best thing was the morphine as it worked to take the BIG EDGE OFF.
    Heal well,
    Never seen blisters like THAT before as well.. OWWWWWW.

Take care, oh and stay off the dang things until the doc says it's ok to do so...:deal
  20. HoBeau

HoBeau around the bend

Oddometer:
    +1 on meds. I must say if these pictures had audio you would turn down the volume. Ok - maybe not these exact pics but the first four hours after the accident. :nod

I know people have been hurt worse, been in more pain and suffered longer. However, let me tell you this sh!t brought a big bite with it. I'm not the toughest sob ever but I've skied off a mountain with broken fibula, driven myself home with 4/5 broken metatarsals, number of other breaks without much drama.:tough

The only real life pain compare I have is wife in labor prior to epidermal. I could only yell in pain as muscles cramped again and again, the lower leg now effectively detached after so many years. I'll forever remember the emergency room Dr covering his ears as I worked through one of these episodes. :umph

Bring on the meds.