You Only Live Twice

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Feb 9, 2015.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    A few random pics from February of 2017. I went out several times to try to get some sunset pics.

This one was a little before sunset:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then in early March it was time to head down to Montevallo for the annual Top Gun competition at the Alabama Motorcycle Safety Center. I really wanted to do this on my Super 8. Besides the long distance it was real cold in the morning so I cheated.

[​IMG]

I got on the road at 6:25 AM after scraping enough frost off my windshield to see where I was going. I drove down to the Wally World in ALabaster where I unloaded my scooter. It was now 47 degrees, plenty warm to ride. I got to Montevallo just after 9. Their large lots weere filled with hundreds of cones. They had 4 different courses ranging from easy to really difficult. There weren't many riders there yet so I got in a lot of practice on courses 1 and 2, the easier courses. I also tried #4 but had trouble just not getting lost let alone actually making it around the cones.

MaydayMike was there on his Triumph which has around a Gazilion miles on it.

[​IMG]

Nice Goat was there on his Versys 1000.

[​IMG]

Kris, a Bamarides member was there working the Dixie Abate booth and didn't bring a bike so I talked here into taking my scooter for a spin. I couldn't stand the idea of her spending the entire day here, watching others ride and not getting to ride any herself.

[​IMG]

Then she returned the favor and took a few pics of me with my camera.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These guys did the course in formation. They were pretty good.

[​IMG]

Nice Goat killing some cones.

[​IMG]

And Nice Goat got this pic of me:

[​IMG]

And here's a video of someone doing the most difficult course:

This is always an amazing event with some real riding talent on display.
  2. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    We had some nice weather in late February and early March. I went on several short rides, especially around sunset, to try go get some pictures. Here are a few of them:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I even took Debbi on one of those rides.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But it wasn't a very spectacular sunset that night.

[​IMG]

Out again on the KLR.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    MYUMPH, BillUA, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  3. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    The second weekend in April and Spring was now in full bloom in North Alabama. The weather was about perfect, wall to wall sunshine and 70 degrees. Debbi had never been to High Falls and we had a lot of rain not too long ago. It was a perfect time to head to High Falls. We stopped in Guntersville for lunch. Then it was a nice ride to High Falls. The falls had plenty of water flowing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was warm enough that most of the people there were in shorts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While the air was warm, the water was still real cold but that didn't stop these young people from getting in it.

[​IMG]

Not only that but they were jumping off the falls:eekers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When they got tired of jumping off the falls on the other side they came over here for some more excitement.

[​IMG]

I tried but didn't get any of them in the air.

[​IMG]

Back in the parking lot getting ready to ride home.

[​IMG]

We took a short break in Guntersville.

[​IMG]

Some spring flowers on the way home.

[​IMG]
    B10Dave, merc16, TheAdmiral and 2 others like this.
  4. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    With the springlike weather we had much of the winter I have been getting out and riding a lot but most of it was local, no overnight trips. Then Nice Goat posted up a long weekend ride for the Tellico Plains area on the Bamarides forum. My work schedule and weather cooperated perfectly and I was able to make most of this ride.:rayofA large part of the group met in Athens on Thursday morning and rode up through Tennessee to the Cherohala Mountain Trails Campground in Tellico Plains.

I wasn't able to leave until Friday morning. I took the scenic route to Tellico Plains.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I arrived at the campground early afternoon and set up my tent.

[​IMG]

Since it was already late afternoon and the group was already out riding I figured I go for a short, relaxing ride by myself but just after I got set up the group ride in. They had done a long morning ride and had not eaten lunch yet. So they headed off to the Tellicafe for lunch. I had already eaten luuch but joined them anyway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then Nice Goat had a plan to ride over the Skyway and then ride Deal's Gap and back. It was already around 4 so they would get back pretty late. I proposed a shorter ride and that's what we ended up doing. I led the ride to Farr Gap. The loop we did was always one of my favorites and included a combination of twisty, bumpy, narrow and steep paved roads and unpaved roads. Since I was leading I didn't get many pics. Here's the group taking a break before heading up the dirt road to Farr Gap.

[​IMG]

We finished up by doing about 14 miles of the Skyway and then back to the campground.

My dinner at the campground. It was nothing fancy but I didn't have to ride somewhere to get it.

[​IMG]

Sunset was pretty that night.

[​IMG]

Someone built a campfire and we hung out there until finally turning in for the night.
  5. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    Saturday morning at the campground.

[​IMG]

After breakfast, which was served there, the plan was to head out on a couple of rides. There was one for the dirty riders and one for those who preferred pavement. Either way the area has a lot of great riding.

There was a short delay as Nice Goat's KLR has lost a sub frame bolt. A KLR lose a bolt??? who would have thunk it:lol3

I headed out before the group to set up and get some pics. I was looking for a spot on the way to Bald River Falls where I could get shots of the bikes with some nice scenery in the background. I settled for this spot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I caught the group at Bald River Falls where we stopped to enjoy the view and take some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I headed off ahead to set up for more pics. I told Glenn I would take the first turnoff but they took the second. They both meet and go up to the Skyway but the only pics I got were of Norton73 who came back to get me.

[​IMG]

So we caught up with the group and I rode ahead again to get some action shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next stop was Whigg meadow where we hiked to the top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    MYUMPH, Phipsd, BillUA and 1 other person like this.
  6. Nice Goat

Nice Goat higher is better

Oddometer:

That was a great weekend. I was really glad that so many people decided to join us.
    klaviator likes this.
  7. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was. I think we had around 20 people with 2/3 being dual sport riders and the rest street riders. There's still more of this ride to come. @Nice Goat do you have that pic where we are all standing around watching you replace that missing bolt? It was in my original report but it dissappeared.
  8. Nice Goat

Nice Goat higher is better

Oddometer:

No, I don't ... but I'm pretty sure everybody has already seen photos of KLR owners replacing lost bolts. :lol3
  9. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was a cool pic. I think Johnny posted it on facebook and I linked it directly from there. I didn't know at the time that Facebook links don't last.

Continuing on. I went ahead again to get some more pics.

[​IMG]

And again later on the ride. These were going over the Snowbird Mountains.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice Goat on his KLR:

[​IMG]

Norton73:

[​IMG]

I think Nice Goat took this next pic.

[​IMG]

We had lunch in Murphy and then continued the ride. Some of us ended up on Buck Bald.

[​IMG]

Hanging out at the pavilion back at the campground that evening.

[​IMG]
    MYUMPH, BillUA and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  10. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hanging out at the end of the day with a group like this is always fun. In this case some of the riders here had ridden from Alabama to Alaska and back the previous summer so we got to hear about their Alaska adventurers. I planned on getting up early Sunday morning and meeting TrashCan at Deals Gap but when I finally turned in at 12:15 I knew that wouldn't happen. I still woke up early enough to catch the sunrise.

[​IMG]

I was pretty tired from two long days of riding. Nobody seemed real motivated to get on the road real early so I hung out for a while before packing up. By the time I was ready to go only Al and Melony were left so I rode over to say Bye and take their pic. They rode their Super Teniere to Alaska and back last summer.

[​IMG]

Then I headed for home. I stopped to take this next pic because I used to come up to this OHV area and ride back when I lived in Georgia.

[​IMG]

Some more nice Jawja roads and scenery.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a 230 mile ride I made it home. It was a great weekend, it was good to get away for a few days of great riding and hanging out with friends.
    MYUMPH, Phipsd, EZMoney and 2 others like this.
  11. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking back through Facebook I found a few pics from this last ride including the KLR subframe bolt replacement picture.

So how many people does it take to replace a bolt on a KLR?

[​IMG]

And a couple more pics from the ride.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Melony took this pic of me the last day packed up and ready to go.

[​IMG]

I think I posted all of these pics in my original report but linked them from Facebook so they didn't last.
  12. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    On the last weekend of April, 2017 I took off on another weekend trip. My work schedule gave me every other Friday night off so this was one of those long weekends. I got on the road on Friday and headed East.

There is a thread in the ADV Photos section for "same spot, different bike" so I stopped and took this next pic for that thread.

[​IMG]

And the same with this next pic:

[​IMG]

Unlike my previous trip, this time my destination was Iron Horse Motorcycle resort so I had a lot further to go. As I went through Tellico Plains it was dinner time and I was pretty hungry. I considered eating there and then getting some sunset pics from the Cherohala Skyway but decided to try to get to the campground before it got dark. I had a good run over the Skyway as there was not much traffic to slow me down:ricky:ricky. I stopped at the subway in Robbinsville and picked up a sandwich for dinner. I made it to Iron Horse in time to set up and eat before dark. My mileage for the day was 272 miles.

[​IMG]

The place was full of Wings and sidecars for this weekend. There were a few bikes of other types as well including one I had never seen before. I thought it was a NC700X but on closer look it was Honda's VFR based adventure bike:

[​IMG]

A night pic of Iron Horse.

[​IMG]

That's it for Friday. My plan for Saturday was to ride some of my favorite roads most of which are off the beaten path. There were numerous car and bike rallies in the area and I figured that Deal's Gap, the Skyway and the other popular roads would be clogged with heavy traffic.
    MYUMPH, EZMoney, BillUA and 3 others like this.
  13. longrides1

longrides1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great posts, and pics!

We’re are you working these days klaviator?
    klaviator likes this.
  14. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm still hauling freight around, mostly at night. Sometimes I get a nice view.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I spend a lot of time in Memphis. This was one of the rare times I was there and it wasn't still dark.

[​IMG]
    MYUMPH, B10Dave, BillUA and 1 other person like this.
  15. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back to my trip. I got up Saturday morning intending to get an early start and beat the traffic. I guess I'm getting old. I hung out and talked to some of the other riders. I had breakfast at Iron Horse. They tell you that you need to sign up the night before but I have yet to be turned down if I didn't.

So I rode 28 to Franklin. Traffic wasn't too bad and I had a clean run down one of my favorite parts of 28:ricky:ricky After Franklin I got off the main roads.

[​IMG]

I stopped at this spot and experimented with taking different shots. I have always liked this spot but never got any pics that really do it justice. This was probably the one that I liked the best.

[​IMG]

I went exploring and tried some new roads. My first try took me in a big circle but it was a nice ride. The second road I tried turned to dirt but I followed it through to an intersection with a paved road.

[​IMG]

Panthertown sounded interesting so I took a left. Keep in mind that I had no GPS or map of these roads so I was just winging it. This turned out to be a pretty nice road with plenty of curves and hills and it was scenic as well.

As much as I like my Versys, as I was riding and exploring these roads I was thinking this would be more fun on my Super 8.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the pavement ended. No problem. My Versys has an ADV sticker on it so it can go anywhere:D Well almost anywhere. When I got to a barrier I turned around. It turns out that Panthertown was some sort of hiking area. I was disappointed as I thought this road went through and I was really curious as to where I would end up. I back tracked to the last intersection and this time went the other way. Too bad that turned out to be a straight, flat and boring road:

[​IMG]

I finally got back to a main road and headed off to ride some more twisty roads.

I took a break at a small park and was soon joined by a rider from South Carolina who was also out exploring. We talked for a while. He had never been on these roads before. I recommended he follow 281 back to 64.

Seeing a photo opportunity I shot this pic.

[​IMG]

At this point I hadn't decided where I was going next. I was thinking about heading to the BRP but that would make for a pretty long day:hmmmmm

As the Duc rider was suiting up I was still thinking:hmmmmm

[​IMG]

At the last minute I decided to follow him back down 281.

[​IMG]

At this point I was glad to be on the Versys not the Super 8. The Super 8 is fun but I might have had trouble keeping up.

We took a right at 64 then he turned off at some point to head back to South Carolina. I went straight and then stopped in Cashiers and had a salad at Wendys. Then it was off to ride some more of my favorite roads.

[​IMG]

Of course my favorite roads are always flat, straight and boring.

[​IMG]

This is one of my favorite photo spots and I have taken many pics here before but I'm always trying to see if I can improve my photography.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's no shortage of waterfalls around here.

[​IMG]

This next one is one of the hardest to photograph well IMO. I had to climb up a real steep hill to get this next pic.

[​IMG]

I love how everything is so bright green this time of year.

[​IMG]
    MYUMPH, B10Dave, BillUA and 1 other person like this.
  16. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice photos klaviator!
    klaviator likes this.
  17. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    One of my favorites in this area is Winding Stair road. It climbs up out of the Nantahalla Gorge and is carved into the side of a very steep mountainside. It is subject to rockslides and was closed for a few years:( I was afraid they were not going to re-open it but had recently heard that they did in fact open it back up:-) So I decided to check it out. I had never ridden it on a street bike before but figured it should be a problem.

[​IMG]

It was rougher than I remembered . I had to keep the speed low to keep from damaging something on the rocks in the road. This is not just another smooth dirt/gravel road. Since I was going much slower than in the past when I was on dual sport bikes I got to enjoy the scenery more. I stopped several times to take pics.

The dropoff to the left of the bike is nearly as steep as the cliff to the right:eekers

[​IMG]

That waterfalls is actually quite a ways off.

[​IMG]

After winding stair I took another really fun road, Camp Branch....well it used to be fun, on this day it was covered with gravel. Maybe they spread it due to snow and ice. I doubt it will get cleaned off for months. Then it was time to head back. Now I'm glad i didn't go the extra distance to the BRP. I wouldn't have had the time to ride Winding Stair.

I didn't sign up for dinner at Iron horse so I stopped at the Stecoah Diner. Another rider on a Harley bagger was there getting ready to go in and we started talking. So we had dinner together and had a great conversation. The food was very good as well so it was a thoroughly enjoyable dinner. Nate, the Harley rider had ridden up on a whim from Nashville to cross of the "dragon" from his bucket list.

[​IMG]

Speaking of bucket lists, Nate had an interesting one to talk about. He worked for a company that after a certain number of years of service would give their employees three weeks off and a certain amount of money, I think it was 5K, to get away and do something on their bucket list. Nate was going to use it to get his sport plane license. Given how stingy so many companies are in giving time off this sounded pretty cool.

While I enjoy my Versys in the curves I have to say that this Bike looks a lot more comfortable.

From the diner is was just a couple minute ride back to Iron Horse where people were enjoying their dinners and the nice weather.

[​IMG]

A shot from the front where they have RV spots. Someday when I grow up I may get an RV of some sort and if I do this is one of the places I'll take it to.

[​IMG]

More tent spots along the creek.

[​IMG]

One of the nice things about all of the motorcycle campgrounds I have stayed at is that there is always room for another tent so you don't have to worry about getting there and finding it full like many other campgrounds which have assigned spots.

That's it for Saturday. My total for the day was 225 miles. My plan for Sunday was to get up early and ride Deal's Gap before all the traffic showed up.
    MYUMPH, B10Dave, TheAdmiral and 4 others like this.
  18. Fr8dog61

Fr8dog61 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Win!

I walked down that pipe in the third pic when I was at camp in the late ‘70s. The camp was in Brevard, but we hiked all over the area. It was cool!
    klaviator likes this.
  19. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    When you say you "walked the pipe", what does that mean. Did you walk on the pipe or just underneath it? Either way, that's some real rugged terrain there. There is an access road that goes to the pipeline but it got a gate on it now.

BTW, that's about a 2 hour drive from Brevard. Are you sure it's the same pipe?
  20. Fr8dog61

Fr8dog61 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Both, part of it was too steep, and no, but every damn dam in those parts has a pipe like that. The camp I went to was focused on backpacking and hiking with some canoeing thrown in for good measure. 2 hours to drive to a trailhead was the norm. IIRC (this was 40 years ago) that was probably a three day backpacking trip so we were droped off at one place and picked up at or 3 days but we did longer trips as well. Very little time in camp. The end of the session culminated in a long trip on the Appilachian Trail. I had done six days as my longest, but one year one cabin group that was full of serious hikers did 13 days on the AT. Good times.
    MYUMPH and klaviator like this.