You Only Live Twice

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Feb 9, 2015.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    On Sunday morning I did manage to wake up early and get on the road at 6:40. I was hoping for a little earlier but this was in Eastern Standard time while my body clock is in Central. I had three reasons for the early start. I was hoping to catch trash Can and his riding buddies at the overlook. I wanted to get some nice sunrise pics and of course I wanted to beat the traffic and be able to run the curves at a reasonable pace:ricky:ricky

It didn't take long to get that first sunrise shot.

[​IMG]

28 to Deal's Gap is a great ride and even more so when there is no traffic like there was this morning. I did stop to take some scenic shots.

[​IMG]

This next shot looks a lot like the last one but it was taken at a different location.

[​IMG]

I saw little activity at the Deal's Gap resort. Riders come from all over the country and Canada to ride the "dragon" and then sleep in until the traffic takes all the fun out of the ride. There was a little traffic on 129 this morning but not enough to spoil the fun:ricky:ricky. I stopped at the overlook.

[​IMG]

I could barely squeeze my bike in among all the bikes and cars parked there:D

[​IMG]

None of the riders I expected showed up so I headed back to Deal's Gap. I think they were on a road trip somewhere this weekend.

Finding a parking spot was a real challenge :D

[​IMG]

One of the many car clubs in the area for the weekend showed up.

[​IMG]

Then I headed back to Iron Horse to pack up my camping gear and head for home.
    MYUMPH, rascalman, EZMoney and 4 others like this.
  2. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    After packing up I headed through Robbinsville and then over the Skyway. Traffic on the Skyway was surprisingly light at least until I got about halfway from the TN state line and Tellico Plains. While everything was lush green at lower elevations, higher up on the Skyway it was cold and no leaves on the tree yet.

[​IMG]

After Tellico Plains I picked up some more back roads. My route was 39 to 315 to 30 to 64 and then mostly boring roads from there. These next 3 pics are from the roads between Tellico Plains and 64.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

once on 64 I took the shortest and fastest route home. I was hoping to beat the predicted thunderstorms home. Since my Versys is not exactly a Gold Wing I did take a few breaks. This is at the exit of I24 where I get off to ride TN 156. 156 is a nice curvy road that is a nice break from the mostly boring roads that get me home. The bridge in the pic is new and replaced a pretty old iron bridge that was torn down.

[​IMG]

I have ridden past this town dozens of times and meant to stop and take a pic. This time I finally did it.

[​IMG]

So now I could say I rode to Hollywood.:D

As I got into Huntsville the skies ahead were pretty dark and ominous looking so I stopped and put on my rain jacket and the rain cover on my tank bag. Less than a mile later I rode into some really strong winds and heavy rain. Luckily it only took a few miles to get through it and into some calmer weather.

It turned out to be a fun weekend. Total for Sunday was over 300 miles and around 800 for the weekend. It was good to get out on the Versys. It was my first long ride on it for quite a while.
    MYUMPH, Phipsd, rascalman and 4 others like this.
  3. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Klav,

I always enjoy stopping by here and catching up. You put such a tremendous effort into your blogs with photos and narrative and it's very much appreciated. Sitting here with a cup of coffee on Sunday morning looking at adventures I's love to be on. :*sip*

All the best,

Eric
    klaviator likes this.
  4. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks Eric.

I enjoy Photography and writing these reports. I enjoy the stuff you post as well and hope to see some of your adventures in the future as well.

I'm hoping to make it up to your neck of the woods some time. Maybe AmeriVespa this year but no definite plans just yet.

Win
    The Virginian likes this.
  5. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    klav, I've really enjoyed reading this entire thread and getting to see so many places you shared in pictures across the country and entire world! and the stories that went along with them.:clap
    klaviator likes this.
  6. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. It was a lot of work putting this together but very worth it to me to preserve some of my best memories. Someday I'll take more recent highlights and add them to the end of this report.

I was expecting to have to re build the first half of this report due to the Photo Bucket fiasco but so far my pictures continue to show up and without that obnoxious "proudly hosted on photobucket" logo ruining the pictures.
    MYUMPH likes this.
  7. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    Time to add a little more to the report. In May of 2017 I took a trip that was a real milestone for me. It was also posted on Photobucket shortly before they screwed so many people and I decided to switch to SmugMug.

I had always been fascinated with the ride reports I had read here that involved taking long trips on tiny bikes. I had wanted to try it myself for years but never got around to it. I decided that this was the time and that it would be appropriate to do it on my Super 8, my first scooter and the bike that really got me into tiny bikes. I planned on replacing the S8 soon so it was now or never to do it on this scooter.

I had a week of vacation but used the first few days to go to North Georgia in the cage with my wife and spend some time with family. That would leave me with 5 days for this trip.

Before going on this trip I needed to address a few issues with the S-8. First was the small gas tank. 1.3 gallons and around 70 MPG was not good for going all that far. Add to that the inop gas gauge and the fact that the S8 has no trip odometer. I was planning on riding part of the BRP which has few gas stations. So I got a small cooler just big enough to hold a 1 gallon gas can and velcroed it to the floorboards.

The next issue was the fuel filler under the seat. I figured out that I could bungee a small dry bag directly to the seat so that I could raise it without having to take it of and put it back on every time I got gas.

The small bag on the bungee hook holds my Sony camera. I would carry my Olympus hanging from a strap around my neck. Here's the S8 ready to go.

[​IMG]
  8. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    Early Wednesday morning I got on the road. To save time I had the S8 in the back of the Avalanche which I drove to Cherohala Mountain Trails Campground near Tellico Plains. There I unloaded the scooter and headed off. I had arranged to leave my truck there.

I rode through Telloco Plains and over the Cherohala Skyway. I have ridden this road so many times I didn't feel the need to take a bunch of pics. Just this one to show I was there.

[​IMG]

Then it was 143 to Robbinsville and 129 and 19 to Wayah RD.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I got to the turnoff to the gravel road up to the top of Wayah Bald I decided that to make this a bit more of an adventure I needed to get off the pavement some. Besides, I hadn't been up there in years. I think the last time was on my XT300.

So I rode to the parking lot at the top then did a short hike to the observation tower.

[​IMG]

A shot of my S8 with the Franklin airport off in the distance.

[​IMG]

Then it was time to ride back down. Just to show what this road was like. Gravel and extremely curvy. If they ever pave this it will make the dragon seem easy.

[​IMG]
    Nice Goat, Stubanger, MYUMPH and 4 others like this.
  9. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    Riding up Wayah Bald was fun but it put me behind schedule. My destination for that day was Asheville where I had a reservation at the Red Roof Inn. I rode through Franklin and then took 28/64 to Highlands. 28 between Franklin and Highlands is a fantastic road with great curves and incredible scenery. I was in a hurry but still stopped to take some pictures.

[​IMG]

One of my favorite picture spots.

[​IMG]

I couldn't resist the next pic. I still really like the styling of the S8. I have a thing for black&red bikes.

[​IMG]

After this last pic I really needed to hurry. I took 65 to 215 to the BRP. Once on the BRP I stopped a couple of times for pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I rode down 151 towards Asheville and nearly met a squid head on as he was in my lane trying to cut a corner:asshat. I think maybe he was having trouble keeping up with his buddies.....or maybe just has bad riding habits. He saw me and swerved back into his lane. 151, for those of you unfamiliar, is a fantastic twisty road.

I got to the Motel just before dark. Once I got there I recognized it. I think I stayed there around 20 years earlier on when riding the area on my EX500. I got the room through one of those internet sites for around 60 bucks. It turned out to be a nice place with a bunch of restaurants withing easy walking distance. I asked the lady at the front desk what the rate would be if I had just showed up and asked for a room. She said about double what I paid!

I'd stay there again if I wanted to stay in the Asheville area.
    Stubanger, MYUMPH, BillUA and 2 others like this.
  10. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    Before I left on this trip I had planned ahead on lodging for the first and last nights. I left everything in between up in the air. The weather forecast for this week wasn't that great so I figured I'd try to plan around the weather during the trip. While in Asheville I made a plan for the rest of the week that would hopefully keep me out of the rain as much as possible.

I got up Thursday morning and headed through town on my way back to the BRP. Asheville seemed like an interesting town. Someday I need to go and spend some more time there and explore it a bit. I did a bit of unexpected exploring that morning as I missed a turn and got a bit lost.

[​IMG]

I rode past a scooter shop so I pulled a u turn and went back to check it out.

[​IMG]

I talked to the owner. He said his business was mostly cheap Chinese scooter owned by drunks. North Carolina allows people to ride 50cc scooters without a license. He said most of these scooter riders lost their licenses and rode scooters only because they needed them for transportation. They also wanted scooters that were cheap. A Vespa shop opened in Asheville opened up and it only lasted about 6 months.

Too bad. Scooters are really cool but around here they had a reputation as "Liquor Cycles". I'm sure a lot of people saw me on my tiny scooter and assumed I was another drunk.

A view inside the shop.

[​IMG]

The owner gave me directions to get me to the BRP.

It wasn't a picture perfect day but it was still a nice day to be out riding and the BRP is always fun.

[​IMG]

For the most part the S8 was great for this road although it would occasionally bog down to less than the 45 MPH speed limit on the steeper hills.

[​IMG]
  11. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like you found the seedier side of Asheville, maybe try the much larger yuppieville part next trip? :lol2
    Lots of great rural roads N of Asheville that are much less touristy than in the other directions. Thanks for the pics.
    klaviator likes this.
  12. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seedy side of town? It didn't seem that seedy to me but then I do live in Alabama:lol3
  13. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess I was taking the likker scooters thing a bit too far? Having a N AL DIL I tend to play that card now and then as a retort to this & that KY BS talk.
    I usually play it safe and say is that behavior from Lower AL or Northern AL? so it becomes less of a putdown.
    Now, back to planning a trip to Ecuador on a PTW! :nod
  14. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    My destination for that night was not that far away so I had plenty of time to stop and check stuff out. This was ana easy stop right on the BRP.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While I was taking these pics a couple of riders on BMWs stopped. It turns out they were also from Alabama. I didn't get any pics of them.

[​IMG]

My next stop was a bit more of a detour.

[​IMG]

I had been here before but it had been many years.

[​IMG]

I had plenty of time and needed some exercise so I walked to the top.

[​IMG]

Nice view from up here.

[​IMG]
    Dirt Road Cowboy, MYUMPH and panzer like this.
  15. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Always love the smell of the trees going up MM. I remember seeing Biltmore and Winston Salem from up there I believe?
    klaviator likes this.
  16. Nice Goat

Nice Goat higher is better

Oddometer:

I love this shot:
    [​IMG]
    klaviator likes this.