You Only Live Twice

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Feb 9, 2015.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We rode to Helton Creek Falls were we stopped for some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the falls we crossed Helton Creek twice.

[​IMG]

The Vespa handled the water crossing just fine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few more pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hitting some twisties near the end of the ride.

[​IMG]
    black 8, Vrode, norton73 and 5 others like this.
  2. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We had a good dinner at TWoS then hung out.

[​IMG]

I took a few pics before leaving on Sunday.

[​IMG]

This is a great place to camp and will always be one of my favorite places.

[​IMG]

This is the typical lunch crowd at TWoS although I have seen 2 or 3 times this many bikes in the parking lot.

[​IMG]

Oh yeah, Brooks took a pic that I didn't see until after I got back from the trip. It's probably just as well. Helton Creek falls will never be the same for me in the future.

[​IMG]

And here's a video Al made of the ride.

black 8, norton73, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  3. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I didn't realize your Super 8 was a first gen.. always thought it was a X.
    Don
    klaviator and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  4. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Green trees and grass. What a concept. :D
    klaviator, dp064 and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  5. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad you are continuing this thread Win. As you can see today when you read my thread; I also am covering some previous rides while the weather up here isn't suitable for riding. I don't know if I will do a report next on a trip to Pa. or one I took to Prince Edward Island in Canada's east coast area.
  6. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I loved the first gen Super 8. The X version was a step backwards.

I took this pic of all three of my scooters back in September 2017.

[​IMG]
  7. klaviator

Oddometer:
    September 2017

One of the reasons I bought the Smax was that it was the fastest 150cc class scooter available. That increase in performance meant it could do a lot more. It had proven it could hang with the big bikes on a day ride. Could I load it up with all my camping gear and do a multi day trip? I decided to find out.

I loaded up the Smax and headed for Suches, GA. To get out of Huntsville I did around 10 miles of 70MPH Interstate followed by 30+ miles of 65MPH four lane. The Smax handled this just fine.

But I prefer smaller, more interesting two lane roads and soon I was on them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After 234 miles I pulled into TWoS which had a packed parking lot.

[​IMG]

Had I gone through a time warp to the 1990s??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Actually, there was a vintage bike rally going on that weekend.
    black 8, Stubanger, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  8. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I was old enough to remember when these when these bikes were new and I lusted after some of them at the time.

This CB750F was one of the hottest bikes available around 1980. That was around when I bought my first new bike, a Suzuki GS550E. If I had more money I might have bought one of these.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was still a sport bike rider when this exotic came out.

[​IMG]
    black 8, Stubanger, B10Dave and 5 others like this.
  9. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Then it was time to set up my camp. While I was setting up another bamarides member, LT, came up and introduced himself. He had ridden up from the Bham area on his V Strom 650. So we talked a bit. Later we had dinner at the lodge then hung out BSing late into the night. There was another guy there from Cullman so we had an Alabama invasion going on:D Then someone built a fire and we hung out there with a few more riders.

The next morning I took some pics of the campground. I picked a great time to come here as the weather was great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LT and a guy from Cullman.

[​IMG]

While I love bikes and I love riding, the people and my interactions with them are also a big part of the motorcycling/Scooting experience for me. There are a couple of things that made this time memorable for me, one was good and the other not so much.

LT was a police officer in the Birmingham area. He had a funny story that I will never forget. He was at the station when a call came in over the radio. Some of his guys were engaged in a high speed pursuit. They were chasing a Nissan Leaf at 70 MPH.......60 MPH.....50......40.......eventually the battery died and the chase was over. Who runs from the police in a Nissan Leaf?

I would ride with LT a few more times in the next couple of years but in 2020 he was murdered while on duty:(
  10. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Of course at the time I didn't know what would happen to LT and I had a great day. After a good breakfast at the lodge it was time to ride. I headed off for the Northeast corner of Georgia. This is lake Winfield Scott on 180:

[​IMG]

I made my way over to Seed Lake and Lake Rabun. I went exploring on some roads I had never ridden.

[​IMG]

So this road in the pic above twisted it's way up a mountain and past some houses and a church and then into the wilderness. Suddenly it turned into perfect pavement, sportbike paradise with some nice curves and great scenery.

I couldn't believe I had never ridden or even heard of this road.

Then after a few miles I came to this:

[​IMG]

I wasn't in the mood for dirt today so after a quarter mile I turned around. Someday I'll have to go and see where this road goes, maybe this year.

I did some more exploring on roads I had never ridden before.

[​IMG]

I went down a really awesome road perfect for a small scooter. It was twisty as hell with a lot of cabins on it as it wound it's was along a lake. I didn't get any pics that did it any justice. I was really glad I was on a small scooter. If I had found this road years earlier while riding a sportbike I doubt I would have enjoyed it nearly as much as it just wasn't a road to ride fast on.

I rode back to where I started this exploration.

[​IMG]

And then continued on one of my favorite roads. This was Lake Rabun RD. It's super twisty with buildings and wall right on the road. It's not a road where you could stretch the legs of a sportbike but fun as hell on a small scooter.

[​IMG]
  11. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Especially in a 1st gen Leaf.. wide open range is probably 20 miles!
    Very sad story about LT, I appreciate any and all that put their life on the line for military and public service. It really makes you appreciate the relationships you make in life as they can change instantly.
    Don
    black 8, B10Dave, klaviator and 2 others like this.
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    More great roads and hundreds of curves later I was back at TWoS. It was more crowded than I have seen it in years. This pic doesn't really show how many bikes there were.

[​IMG]

I spent some time drooling over the old bikes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That evening I rode up to Blue Ridge. My old riding buddy @Raptorman had recently retired and moved back to Georgia where he had bought a cabin outside of Blue Ridge. He was still in the process of moving in and fixing the place up. I checked out his cabin and we had dinner in Blue Ridge.
    Stubanger and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  13. zdc1775

zdc1775 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey that's the night I got hit by the deer on the way home.
    klaviator likes this.
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    The next morning I took advantage of the morning light to get this pic of the waterfall across the street from TWoS.

[​IMG]

A little later some one came up to me on the porch and said "Hi Win". I had never met him before but he knew me from my ADV ride reports. It's nice to be famous:D Of course I suffer from a severe case of CRS so I promptly forgot his name. He lived in Huntsville and had recently bought a really nice Versys from Allsport. I haven't seen him since and wouldn't even remember that I met him if I hadn't taken this picture:

[​IMG]

Who knows, maybe I'll run into him again some day?

Another pic I'm glad I took that day was this one:

[​IMG]

The gal in the pic is Mimi. She worked at TWO for years when Brit and GT ran the place. I'm pretty sure everyone who frequented TWO during those years will remember her.
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    All good things must come to an end. I had to head home. At least there were some nice roads on the way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I had a great weekend. the weather was fantastic. The Smax did great. The Smax showed that you don't need 1000cc+ to go touring. I didn't rack up huge miles but my total was 234 + 220 + 267 = 721 miles.

Gas Mileage. My first fill up after running 60-70 on the highway was 66 MPG. After that I got around 75-80 MPG while loaded up with all my gear and 85-90 while riding around the mountains without all my camping gear. So even with the higher gas prices I didn't go broke.

My bill at TWoS for 2 nights of camping, 2 breakfasts, one lunch and one dinner was a whopping 65 bucks.

At this point I was really happy that I had bought the Smax.
    Skooter, black 8, Stubanger and 3 others like this.
  16. klaviator

Oddometer:
    This unfortunately is the type of thing that has happened to people I knew far to often. When I go on rides I take tons of pics of the bikes, the roads and the scenery. I have been trying to take pics of the people I meet and know along the way as well because when I look back in the future, they may be the pics that mean the most.
    B10Dave, Dirt Road Cowboy and dp064 like this.
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    September 2017

This was a busy month for me. Besides the trip to TWoS I did a couple of other fun trips.

First, I rode down to Leeds for some cone killing.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately I didn't get any pics of myself.

[​IMG]

I wish We had more gymkhana's. Besides being a lot of fun to participate, it has always been a good chance to hang out and socialize with other riders.

[​IMG]

It was also a chance to see some interesting bikes.

[​IMG]

I love vintage dual sport bikes like this one.

[​IMG]

This was back when Motus was still in business.

[​IMG]
    Stubanger, black 8, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    September wasn't over yet. I hauled my Smax to Cherohala Mountain Trails Campground to ride some of my favorite roads.

I rode over the Cherohala Skyway.

[​IMG]

Through Joyce Kilmer.

[​IMG]

And to Deal's Gap.

[​IMG]

The traffic was light enough at Deal's Gap that I made a few runs and was able to have fun and not get stuck behind slow traffic that much.

[​IMG]
    Skooter, Stubanger, black 8 and 4 others like this.
  19. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Saturday morning I got up early and rode the Skyway again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was vitually no traffic on the skyway. I was planning on breakfast in Robbinsville but Thunder Mountain store was still open back then. I stopped there for breakfast. It has since been closed and just sits there vacant.

[​IMG]
    Stubanger, black 8, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    After breakfast I continued on 143 to Robbinsville. I like 143 between the Skyway and Robbinsville better than the Skyway itself. It's a lot twistier:ricky:ricky. I filled up in Robbinsville then rode 129 to 19 and took a left into the Nantahalla Gorge. Now I had to make a decision, Wayah Rd or Winding Stair:hmmmmm Wayah Rd is a fantastic ride as it curves along by the river but Winding Stair is.......... more of an adventure. I do have an ADV sticker on my Smax so I chose more adventure:wings

This road begins by crossing a narrow bridge.

[​IMG]

View of the Nantahalla River.

[​IMG]

Winding stair is a dirt/gravel road that is popular with Dual sport riders. I had ridden it many times on my dual sport bikes. This would be the first time on a scooter. I had tried to ride it on my Super 8 but it was closed then. This road has often been closed due to rock slides, sometimes for over a year. Fixing it just isn't high priority.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Stubanger, black 8, norton73 and 3 others like this.