You Only Live Twice

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Feb 9, 2015.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Winding Stair turns into a curvy paved road and ends up leading to Wayah Rd. I headed towards Franklin on Wayah Rd and eventually got stuck behind slower traffic.

[​IMG]

I rode along riding with my right hand and taking pics with my left.

[​IMG]

Eventually they pulled over and I was able to pass and resume a more fun pace. One of these bikes was a new FZ-10.

I stopped and took a pic of one of the switchbacks on Wayah Rd.

[​IMG]

After Wayah Rd I headed off for some of my local favorites. These are some of the less well known roads in the area. I seldom see other motorcycles on these roads. They are often not the highest quality of pavement. They often have tighter curves than the much more famous "dragon" and they don't have their names on T shirts or have photographers hanging out taking your picture as you ride by.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lots of tight switchbacks.

[​IMG]
    Stubanger, black 8, norton73 and 2 others like this.
  2. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I stopped to soak up the scenery.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I stopped in Cashiers for lunch then did some exploring. I had no map or GPS. I had ridden some of these roads before and some were new for me. Needless to say I didn't always know where I was but I was never lost for real long. I found some pretty cool new roads.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I ended up on a gravel road for a bit.

[​IMG]

I went over a twisty pass.

[​IMG]

One nice thing about a small scooter is that it takes virtually no effort to stop and take pics.

[​IMG]

More gravel road action.

[​IMG]

There is nothing on either side of this bridge except a gravel road. I have no idea why they built this:dunno

[​IMG]
    Stubanger, black 8, norton73 and 3 others like this.
  3. klaviator

Oddometer:
    My plan was to stop in Robbinsville for dinner and then catch the sunset on the Skyway. It was getting too late for that so I stopped at Subway and picked up a sandwich. I figured I could eat dinner on the Skyway while watching the sunset.
    I picked this spot a little before the State line.

[​IMG]

I ate my dinner as the sun was starting to set.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the ride in the dark back to Tellico seemed to take forever. I kept the speed down because I was worried about deer.
    Stubanger, Samspade, black 8 and 4 others like this.
  4. klaviator

Oddometer:
    My normal routine when I was in that area was to meet @TrashCan at the overlook on 129 as he and a bunch of locals rode to Deal's Gap for breakfast. He said he'd be at the overlook around 7:30. Since it would be about an hour ride and I would need to stop for gas and I wanted to get some sunrise pics, I planned on getting on the road at 6. That would be 0500 Alabama (central) time.:eek7 So I set my alarm for 5:30 but ended up waking up at 5. I still didn't get on the road until 6.

My route was 315 to 39, left on 68, right on 411, right on 72 to 129 where I stopped at the intersection to take this pic.

[​IMG]

The sun was just rising as I rode 129 along the lake. I was hoping to get some good sunrise pics over the lake but the angles and timing was off. I got to the overlook around 7:20 but @TrashCan was already there. He had also woke up early and left ahead of the rest of the riders.

[​IMG]

It was now light enough to be able to see the road well so we took off. There was no traffic so we had a clean run to Deal's Gap. The Smax was a blast to ride on this road. I wasn't fast enough keep up with a fast sportbike rider but fast enough to be entertaining. Power was surprisingly good for a 155cc motor, the brakes were good and the steering super light. The biggest thing keeping the speed down was cornering clearance although I didn't scrape anything. From pics the photogs on the road took, I was pretty close to touching down the centerstand.

When we pulled in to the parking lot we had it to ourselves. Another rider pulled in a minute or two later.

[​IMG]

A few minutes later the rest of the Sunday morning "breakfast club" showed up.

We ate breakfast then hung out for a while. Deal's gap is an interesting place to hang out. Hang out for any length of time and you will see all kinds of bikes and meet people from all over the country and some other countries. One guy from New Orleans who was there for the first time commented that this place was like a museum.

One bike that caught my eye was one you won't see every day.

[​IMG]

250cc, 2 stroke V-twin, kick start only. I'm sure it was a blast on this road.

[​IMG]

The weather was perfect and I was enjoying hanging out, looking at all the bikes and talking to people. I talked to a few Grom riders who were having a blast. We even got to witness a "Busa Down". Busa Down?? There is a story about that. Some time back there was a Hayabusa rally going on in the area and some of them where hanging out at the Deal's Gap resort. Some one came and reported that one of the riders had crashed so one of the guys got up and started yelling "Busa Down, Busa Down" So now every bike crash is called "Busa Down"
    On this morning it was someone just dropping their bike on the road just outside the parking lot. This seems to happen a lot here. So someone said "Busa down" and I say a big cruiser or touring bike laying on it's crash bars but didn't have enough time to get a pic before it was picked up. As "Busa Downs" go, this one was pretty tame.

Way to soon it was time to head for home. There was a fair amount of traffic being a Sunday afternoon and I was expecting a boring ride but it turned out to not be that bad. I did get stuck behind some slow moving bikes so I turned around a rode back a few curves one time and just pulled over a couple of other times as I kept catching them. It did give me the chance to get this pic. @Bar None had put up this sign.

[​IMG]

This next pic was taken about a mile from the dragon but I'll bet over 99% of the people who come by here have never come down to this spot.

[​IMG]

Then I rode back to the campground and loaded up my camping gear and bike and headed home. I stopped for gas along the way and filled up my scooter first. 110 miles and 1.1 gallons of gas. Even without a calculator I can tell you that's 100MPG. That was the best mileage I ever got with the Smax.

After I got home I went through all the pics taken of me by the multiple photographers on 129 and picked out this one to buy.

[​IMG]
    Skooter, Stubanger, Samspade and 6 others like this.
  5. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gorgeous!
    Dirt Road Cowboy and klaviator like this.
  6. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Great shots Win. Winding stair to Wayah looks like a must do ride!
    Dirt Road Cowboy likes this.
  7. klaviator

Oddometer:
    The last couple of times I tried to ride Winding Stair it was closed. I don't know if it was re-opened.
    dp064 and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  8. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Camp spot down stream from Fugitive dam?

[​IMG]
  9. klaviator

Oddometer:
    This is just below Calderwood Dam and I don't think camping is allowed here.
  10. black 8

black 8 motography memories...

Oddometer:
    Great updates Win...

I was late to game in documenting my rides so I lost a decade's worth of memories. I can recall some rides here and there but it's all blurred with work and deployments getting in the way. I really didn't get serious about documenting my rides until after I retired in 2015...

Keep 'em coming...
  11. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Did you lose those memories or are they just blurry? If you took pics you might be able to resurrect some of those memories. That's what I had to do for the first part of this thread. It was very interesting trying to match up my old and hazy memories with the pics I had taken at the time. Of course it helped that some of my most memorable rides took place back before I joined ADV and started actually documenting my rides.
    Dirt Road Cowboy and black 8 like this.
  12. black 8

black 8 motography memories...

Oddometer:
    Both... some I have forgotten about and all I can recall are snippets every now and then. The sad thing is I rarely took photos of my weekend jaunts on the bike. What remains are what’s stored in the gray matter but that will fade as the years go by... I may have started late but at least I keep detailed adventures on record now...
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
    October 2017.

I jumped on my Majesty and rode nearly 2 hours to the Barber Motorsports Park for the annual Vintage festival. The Majesty was perfect for this trip because it's a comfortable highway cruiser and when I got there it was easy to find a parking spot and then stash all my riding gear under the seat and in the tail box. I headed over to the vendors section and immediately ran into my old friend Mike.

[​IMG]

Mike and I met at Two Wheels Only back in 2006 when we were both trying to make a living selling motorcycles. Neither of us are still in that business but we still occasionally run into each other despite living over 200 miles apart.

After talking with Mike for a bit I headed over to the Kymco booth.

[​IMG]

They had a couple of bikes I was interested in.

[​IMG]

The Spade on the left was a competitor for the Grom and Z125. I thought it would sell well since it had a 150cc motor, 5 speed tranny and lower price tag than its competitors but that doesn't seem to be the case. I can't recall ever seeing one in the wild.

On the right was the Like 150i. I thought at the time that if I hadn't recently bought an Smax that this would have been a possibility.

I tried it on for size.

[​IMG]

Over all I was pretty impressed.

[​IMG]
    Stubanger, dp064, black 8 and 3 others like this.
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Wandering around the area made for some sensory overload with all kinds of sights and sounds for a motorcycle enthusiast.

I'm not sure what the ferris wheel in the background had to do with vintage motorcycles:dunno

[​IMG]

Off to the right were some guys on MX bikes doing crazy stuff.

[​IMG]

Not exactly vintage but really cool to see in person as opposed to seeing it on TV.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was vintage racing going on to the left but I decided to try to find the BamaRides booth in the swap meet area. To get there I walked past the bike parking area on the sides of the main perimeter road. That was an interesting show by itself.

[​IMG]

I found the booth which was clearly marked unlike the previous year.

[​IMG]

I hung out there for a while, ate a sandwich for lunch and talked to the others there.
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I enjoyed hanging out there but there was so much to see so I wandered back over to the vendors area which some other guys.

WOW motorcyles from Marietta GA had a big display as always and had a couple of bikes that caught my eye.
    First was this Benelli 600 V twin. Italian name but now made in China.

[​IMG]

I liked this SSR 250.

[​IMG]

Checking it out for size.

[​IMG]

While I have never seen either of these in the wild there is a fairly active thread on this 250 in the road warriors section of ADV.

I saw my first Gurney Gator in person. I remembered reading about this bike in magazines earlier.

[​IMG]

I stopped by the Bates booth and talked to @TrashCan. The guy holding the muffler is a regular with the Deal's Gap breakfast club and I have often talked to him at Deal's Gap.

[​IMG]

If you go back to the first page of this thread you will find a pic of a Honda CT70 which was one of my first dream bikes. There were a number of them here at the Vintage fest. I still think its a really cool little bike and I'd love to have one although I'm not sure what I'd doo with it other than drool on it.:D

[​IMG]

@FenceJumper09 trying out a Royal Enfield for size.

[​IMG]
  16. klaviator

Oddometer:
    One of the big attractions of course is the vintage racing.

[​IMG]

I didn't know anyone racing and had no idea who was winning or anything else but it was just cool watching, and hearing, the bikes go around the track.

[​IMG]

I tried capturing the action with my camera.

[​IMG]

But my camera couldn't show the speed or the sounds.

Racing has it's risks.

[​IMG]

Side car racing:

[​IMG]

I left after the racing ended. Due to the weather forecast all Sunday events were cancelled and by the time I left many of the vendors had already packed up and were heading out.

So I had a great day. I don't think my pics or words can really show what a great event this is for any motorcycle enthusiast. You don't have to be a vintage guy (or gal) to enjoy this. This is just an incredible gathering of motorcyclists with so much to see and do. Barber Motorsports park is an incredible facility probably second to none in the motorcycle world and it's right here in Alabama. Wandering around I saw dozens of people I knew which is probably just a small fraction of the people I know who where there. I told myself that in the future I should try to come down for more than just one day. There is way to much to take in on one day.

One last pic. This bike probably handled like shit but it sure looked cool and probably sounded awesome as well.

[​IMG]
    norton73, Stubanger, dp064 and 3 others like this.
  17. tonymarchman

tonymarchman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I counted 7 exhaust pipes. Is that Kawasaki on the gas tank? I once saw a Harley with 3 cylinders at Daytona Bike Week in 2001 (IIRC)
    This guy was sure his Harley needed more HP so he moved the front wheel forward, re-configured the crank and bolted on the 3rd cylinder.
    https://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/make-mine-triple-feuling-w3/
    dp064 likes this.
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    It was Kawasaki H1 or H2 with four additional cylinders.
  19. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I looked at a Spade before I bought the SG.. i liked it..
    my problem was dealer related.. just couldn't justify the fees they wanted (about 30%).
  20. Samspade

Samspade Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was at the Vintage Fest in 2016 and 2018, but missed 2017. No wonder I didn't remember seeing you there!