You Only Live Twice

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Feb 9, 2015.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's no excuse because I was there in 2016 and 2018 as well.:D
    Samspade and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  2. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Over the years I have done hundreds, probably thousands of rides. Some were very memorable but many have been lost in the blur of all the rides I have done. In November of 2017 I did a couple of solo day rides that I doubt I would have any memory of if I hadn't documented them. They were both very fun rides but there was nothing on them that really made them stand out in my memory.

The first was a ride into NE Alabama on my Versys.

I headed East then North on 65 through Paint Rock Valley. I had ridden this road many times. This time I decided to explore some of the side roads that I had often ridden by and told myself that someday I should ride them and see where they went.

[​IMG]

The pavement ended but I continued on for a bit.

[​IMG]

My KLR would have been better here and I turned around once it started getting muddy.

Back on 65.

[​IMG]

Then I headed over to Crow mountain which has a couple of twistiest roads in the state.

[​IMG]

I rode up and down CR33 a couple of times.

[​IMG]

And then did the same on CR39.

[​IMG]

Due to the steep grade and very tight curves this is one of the most challenging paved roads I have ever ridden.

[​IMG]

The dragon gets all the hype for being extremely twisty and even bans large trucks from driving it. They don't have to ban large trucks from this road because there is no way an 18 wheeler would make it through.

There is a dirt road off of 39 where I often stop to regroup and take a break. This was the only time I

have ever been there when the gate was open.

[​IMG]

I rode it a ways then turned around. The rest of the ride was uneventful.
  3. klaviator

Oddometer:
    November 2017

One thing I have enjoyed doing is meeting inmates who I have only "met" online. So I headed out planning on meeting someone but ended up running into a second inmate as well. I stopped at Cycle Gear and ran into @telejojo who I had met before at a KLR rally years earlier.

[​IMG]

When we first met I was still living in Jawja and just getting ready to come to Huntsville.

I took the scenic route to Guntersville.

[​IMG]

@Heatery was doing a ride around Alabama to see if his Vespa would be suitable for longer trips. We planned on meeting in Guntersville for lunch.

I parked at the meeting spot and then used the 50x zoom on my Sony to catch him coming across the bridge. Catching a moving subject while zoomed way out was a lot harder than I expected.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We talked a few minutes then headed for lunch.

[​IMG]

After a few years I no longer remember the details of what we talked about over lunch but I do remember that it was a very interesting and enjoyable discussion.

BTW, the reason I met @Heatery in the first place was because I was following his ride report and he had been following mine. Heatery's ride report: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/lower-alabama-la.1244014/
    augerdin, Heatery, Stubanger and 4 others like this.
  4. klaviator

Oddometer:
    After lunch we rode a bit and I took some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We split up as we needed to go in opposite directions. I had some time so I did a little exploring around Guntersville.

What makes Guntersville so interesting IMO is that it is nearly an island and there is water everywhere which makes for some great scenery.....and some great places to live.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I even managed to get some interesting pics near the end of the ride when almost home.

[​IMG]

It almost looked like the Saturn V was lifting off!

Since I was on an interstate Highway I thought I'd pin the throttle for a bit.

Approaching warp speed......

[​IMG]

Ludicrous speed.:lol3

[​IMG]

Not bad for 155cc. Looking back, that Smax was a great scooter and I miss it. Eventually I'd like to get another small scooter with the performance of the Smax.
    victay, augerdin, SoPaRider and 6 others like this.
  5. SoPaRider

SoPaRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bump!

I can relate to your thread klaviator; I was born in 1950, the first bike I ever rode was my friend and neighbor's new blue 1968 Honda CL175 Scrambler during the summer of 1968, I was 17. By December I was at Navy Boot Camp at Great Lakes, IL, I then was stationed on three ships; the USS Alamogordo ARDM-2, Canopus AS-34 and Orion AS-18. During the last year of my enlistment I was married to my wife Karen (SoPaGuider) in April 1972 and discharged in December 1972. WE bought our first bike shortly there after, a new 1973 Yamaha DT/RT3 360 Enduro, and the rest they say is history. I've now been riding for 53 years and Karen for 37 and we've been married for 49. Our current corral includes three Suzuki's, a 1996 DR350/441S with 64K, a 2007 V-Strom 650 with 78K, that we've ridden in 48 states, D.C. and 5 Canadian Provinces so far and we're the third owners of a 2009 DR650 with 28K. We've owned over a dozen bikes over the past six decades and have no intentions of slowing down anytime soon. We enjoy your posts and hope to make it to Alabama some day soon to enjoy one of your rides. Carry on!
    belmoresr, Stubanger, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  6. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the bump and the comments! Congrats on 53 years of riding and 49 years of marriage. Both are very impressive:super Do you have something special planned for your 50th anniversary?

If you make it down this way sometime I'd love to ride with you. Certainly let me know if you make it down to somewhere in the southeast.
    SoPaRider, B10Dave, dp064 and 2 others like this.
  7. Al-Rider

Al-Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just finished reading through this last week while we were camping on smith lake, we had a few rainy days. Read this instead of my road runner magazines, really enjoyed it and looking forward to the rest. Thanks for taking the time to do this, and looking forward to riding with you again.
    klaviator likes this.
  8. Wierdrider

Wierdrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m slowly making my way through this thread, on page 15 currently.
    Thanks for taking the time to share your life with us, very inspiring, and fun to read :clap
    I really liked these photos of you and Debbi, and gave them a little tune up. A45DB4CA-972F-4435-9CF0-BB1F8D20C1B8.jpeg DE4AB1CF-08CA-4835-9F8A-359011DF4F7B.jpeg Here’s a few of some of your old riding areas.
    This one is on Otay Lakes rd., the upper damn is behind me.
    0F8B76D0-5EB8-48E9-99FB-1A4D0DBDB14C.jpeg The road that Debbi practiced on 10E891E7-047A-451A-B383-8D4705DB5B1F.jpeg This is Zubb on Honey Springs rd close to 94 085AF7ED-6C8A-4AEB-8965-472BEA0A8CFF.jpeg Lyons Valley rd 8C86403D-EA58-4ED4-9615-C25692B9BEEF.jpeg The Banner store on Banner Grade (78) heading down towards the desert from your favorite breakfast spot, Julian. 491857E8-E507-4CB7-B421-755A14C57031.jpeg And of course, Mother’s. I didn’t realize it was vegetarian food when I ate there, and thought the bacon was weird on their BLT! 104B6D78-BE8B-476A-96B8-6FE5510B862F.jpeg I’ll try and find some more photos to post, or go for a ride for some new shots :-)

Attached Files:

9. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the response and the pics! Things have changed a "bit" since I lived there. Back in the day, Otay Lake was out in the sticks. The road off of Otay Lakes road that ran along Lower Otay Lake had almost nothing on it. Now that area is developed almost to the lake and I see all kinds stuff on Wueste Rd. A large percentage of my rides started by going out Otay Lakes road. Out of curiosity I decided to find the place I lived. It took me quite a while but I found it on Google Maps. We were renting a townhouse on Alta View Drive just off of South Bay Freeway. I think I was paying around $750 per month rent. I looked the place up on Zillow and it estimates a value of $533,000:yikes. I couldn't afford to live there today. I did see that the Ralphs that we used to walk to is still there.

The Banner Store doesn't look familiar. Either it wasn't there back then or just a case of CRS:D

Is that a phone booth next to the Palomar Mtn General Store? It looks like some remodeling of the store but then it's been nearly 30 years. Is it still a popular hangout for riders?

Going back to San Diego and riding some of my favorite roads and maybe exploring some of the dirt roads that I never rode is on my bucket list.

I do wish I took more pics back in the day. Many of the places I went to regularly are probably gone or have been changed.
    Wierdrider and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  10. Wierdrider

Wierdrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sure looks like a phone booth, I guess I haven’t paid much attention to it while up there. I’m not up there often, but I have seen the parking lot fairly full of riders before.
    Unfortunately the dirt roads are dwindling, but there’s still some to keep us dirty. Here’s a view from Engineers Rd overlooking Cuyamaca Lake, with Stonewall Peak in the background. Engineers Rd goes from 79 by Cuyamaca damn over to Boulder creek rd. I usually bypass Julian’s congestion and go this route lately. C78B30A6-F3DF-4A59-A956-8D4F83F541DA.jpeg
    Dirt Road Cowboy likes this.
  11. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Cool pic. Debbi and I hiked to the top of Stonewall peak with a couple of friends. Great view from up there. Back on the 80s Julian was a small town and I don't remember congestion being an issue. We normally rode 79 through Cuyamaca Park and into town. When I first got there 79 had a dashed centerline but at some point they put in a double yellow. Sometimes we came over the Sunrise Highway to 79. I don't remember ever bypassing Julian. Most of the time we stopped there for breakfast or lunch.

I don't remember Engineers road or if I ever rode it. When I went back in 97 I was riding with a friend and he took me on some of the back roads around Julian but that was the only time I remember riding a bunch of back roads in that area.
    Wierdrider and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.