Young riders

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Up_North, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Up_North

Up_North n00b

Oddometer:
    Planning a 30 day trip from Minnesota to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska, butts in the seat Aug 1st. This will be the longest ride for my 17 year old son on his F650. He has some 2000 mile rides under his belt. This will be a big one for him. Anyone taken a young rider on a big run like this? Any advise? Just brain storming.
    http://http://minnesota2alaska2011.blogspot.com/
  2. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    While not the round trip, I know several fathers who have ridden down to the states with their sons of about that age to get them started in college. Kids that age adjust to just about anything in a hurry. Just be sure the old man can keep up with him after about the 4th day. :lol3
  3. Up_North

Up_North n00b

Oddometer:
    Just be sure the old man can keep up with him after about the 4th day. :lol3[/QUOTE]

No kidding, that may be true...:eek1
  4. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just got my son out on the (used to be) wife's Hondamatic.
    Hoping to be able to get him into a safety course and on the road.

Hope your trip goes well.
  5. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    I was 19 when I did my first trip from pa to mt. my neighbor and I went, I don't think our parents believed we were going till the day we took off. this was back before cell phones and all that crap. we called from glacier nat park happy as could be!
    he'll have a blast, and it could change his life. my trip surely changed mine, I discovered all I wanted to do was ride and take trips!:clap
    I have been riding dirt bikes since age 4. got my first beemer at 16, second at 18. hard to believe some of my buddies kids are 18 and don't even have a drivers license yet. kids need to get off the damn phone/computer and get out there and see the world.
    good luck to you and your son on a wonderful journey!
  6. smilin jack

smilin jack Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Back in 1966, I was 17 years old and my brother was 16. We left Newport Oregon and headed to Alaska on our Suzuki S-32 bikes (150cc twin 2-strokes). We tent camped all but one night (motel). It was more than a month trip, but only made it into Yukon... bike troubles and time line. We did get my bike fixed and rode both bikes home.

My bike threw the rings north of Fort St. James and some millwrights from a local mine came by and cleaned up my piston so I could ride it back to town. The local Evinrude dealer made a piston and rings from his parts shelf fit the Suzuki and I rode it back to Oregon, about 1500 km. The bike ran fine for several more years until traded on a bigger bike.

We were up the the trip... and your son should be too, with your help and guidance. Keep the weight of gear down low and Have a fun time.

Dave
  7. thevulture

thevulture Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wish my dad rode motorbikes, I'm very jealous of your son to get to do this at his age. My only advice is bring bug spray.