Your 200hp bike does not belong on the street.

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by 81forest, Feb 18, 2015.

1. 81forest

81forest ADDRider

Oddometer:
    :hide

I didn't say it, KTM's CEO did!

I do agree with him, although I also believe that people should be able to throw their money in any direction they please. On a side note, what an exciting time to be a pumpkin jockey! :evil

Cycle World interviews Stefan Pierer
    magnussonh likes this.
  2. Unhingedlizard

Unhingedlizard Long timer

Oddometer:
    What he doesnt know is Im a fat fuck and I need that power to get up hills
  3. mjfields_228

mjfields_228 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now that shit is fucking funny!!
  4. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is this admission that they can't keep up in the hp wars?
  5. 81forest

81forest ADDRider

Oddometer:
    Very astute observation. Yep, when I think of KTM, I definitely think "can't keep up with the hp wars..."

:jump
    Benduro and JeepDawg like this.
  6. 81forest

81forest ADDRider

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  7. Buliwyf

Buliwyf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Who needs to keep up in the HP wars? KTM did for the big single what Ducati did for V twins. Tons of character and fun. IMO, no KTM's should have more than 1 cylinder.

That being said, he's wrong. My 200hp literbike is a pussy cat on the street. It doesn't hurt nobody.
  8. SoSlow

SoSlow Having fun

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  9. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Their bike is only 175hp, isn't it?

Not keeping up.
  10. 81forest

81forest ADDRider

Oddometer:

It's only 50 hp!! Definitely not keeping up.

[​IMG]
  11. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Never, not once, heard a better reason (excuse) for more power!:deal

Please include me in your click!:lol3
  12. texag10

texag10 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep,and with a healthy dose of torque, is totally ok to ride on the street. Just, you know, don't goose the throttle with all the nannies off. Something bad might happen...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WW36lv46-hU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  13. 81forest

81forest ADDRider

Oddometer:
    I find it interesting that at least one industry executive is coming out and saying "what is the point" with that much horsepower when you have to outfit every kind of rider aid just to keep average consumers from killing themselves. It just becomes a waste of valuable R&D in my opinion, for every day street use machines.

But the race continues. Personally I'm just fine with a nice 130 hp, they can keep the traction control/ wheelie retardant, and put that value into my suspension, please.

Edit: not saying I would kick that 1290 out of my garage or anything...
    mb8 likes this.
  14. Wraith Rider

Wraith Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    That again proves that someone can be technically competent and intelligent but have a huge lack in wisdom.
    zedexniner likes this.
  15. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I ride a bone stock 1250 Bandit,not exactly anybody's dream bike.
    If I pin it and shift fast it goes 140 pretty quick,whats the difference between doing something stupid at 140 or 180? Death is imminent regardless,none of us gets out alive,smoke em if you got em.
    fonztheyeti and zedexniner like this.
  16. khager

khager Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can never have too much HP! Just because you don't need it most of the time, doesn't mean that there aren't instances where 200 ponies wouldn't come in handy. Dry road, straightaway , and limited time or distance to pass that double trailer, that you have been stuck behind for the last 5 miles, or a long line of cars where the 2nd in line is afraid to make a pass.
  17. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Hmmm... Both circumstances where you take a certain risk regardless of how fast you can make the pass. Not that I disagree HP can have its uses sometimes, I'm just not sure the above are the best examples - certainly not the second one.

I have a 100HP bike and while that is enough most of the time, I am occasionally saying to myself "Come on!... Is that all you've got?" I imagine there would be times when I would say the same while riding a 200HP bike.
    ragtoplvr and mb8 like this.
  18. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    I'm the art director for a local print MC mag. We get test bikes, sometimes.

A few years ago, I rode the Panigale. What a stupid bike for the street. Would barely run under 4000 rpm, and 6th gear at 60mph was something like 2000 bucking, popping, stuttering RPM. Ironically, I felt like I was going to break something unless I was revving it harder. 165 advertised HP.

A couple months later, we tested the Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC. What a huge difference. Not nearly so high strung, much more civilized. 163 advertised hp. But it NEEDED the electronics because it would wheelie anywhere, anytime.

Fast forward to last year, we tested the 1290 SuperDuke R. What a lovely piece of gear. Very easy to ride, even with the nannies off. 155 advertised HP.

What made the KTM so nice to ride? It wasn't the 10 fewer HP, it was the fueling. It made very smooth, linear, predictable, progressive power. If they can deliver 200 hp with such an agreeable, compliant package, bring it on.
    daveinva and Barry like this.
  19. 81forest

81forest ADDRider

Oddometer:
    Very cool. Did you get a chance to ride any of them on the track? Interesting comments on the Super Duke, especially since the fatal flaw to the 990 Super Duke is the horrible fueling. Glad they got it sorted out, at least as far as that herky jerky throttle. :eek1
  20. CSI

CSI Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a HD Ultra Classic......traded it in on a Goldwing, and it felt like I had found horsepower nirvana.....for about six months....

The Wing has since been traded in on a 2014 FJR1300......it's a rocket, compared to the Wing....

I wonder how long before it too has me saying "Is this all you've got??"