Your 200hp bike does not belong on the street.

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by 81forest, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:

Several basically already do, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha, BMW all get near, at or over 200hp and do it will fairly sedate big 4cyl engines rather than big high strung twins. I know you already know that, just wanted to point out the Panigale race tuned twin vs Tuono 4cyl wouldn't be the best comparison. The 1290 was a much better comparison but again, it's comparing a bike with a race tuned engine, a close ratio box and track biased gearing vs a naked bike tuned and geared for the street.

Again, I know you know the difference,,,,, just wanted to point out some of the comparisons validity to some that may not have the ability to know the difference.
    RustyStuff likes this.
  2. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:

+1

I don't like anyone telling me "what I need" or "don't need". If I want a 1000hp supercar and have the money to dish out,,,, I should be able to buy it. If I want a 200hp or even a 300hp street bike, again,,,, it's no one's business.:1drink
    khager and Traxx like this.
  3. Millwright98

Millwright98 Share the love, leave the dirt in the garden.

Oddometer:
    It only goes as fast as the rider turns the throttle.... :norton
    ikonoklass likes this.
  4. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not really since most of them have TCS.
  5. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    That's what Justin Bieber said.

The astuteness never ends.
  6. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    idk maybe its an insurance thing or lawsuit thing or some sort of motorcycle political correctness, but the only rider aid a bike needs regarding horsepower is a throttle, gearbox, and brakes imo
  7. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    Buy a KLR and alternate between the two. The FJR will always feel powerful... and <s>primitive</s> refined too, providing you bought the FJR ES.

Edited to strike out a brain-farted word.
  8. 81forest

81forest ADDRider

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  9. 81forest

81forest ADDRider

Oddometer:
    I think you should be able to spend your money on whatever you want, too. Don't forget to turn on the nannies.
  10. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    With no regard to training or experience?

Call us a nanny state as much as you want but the UK (and most of western Europe) has decided that a staged licence, with meaningful mandatory training and testing, is the way to go.

It's reckoned that:
    Implementing graduated driver licensing in Great Britain would save 4,471 casualties and £224 million annually.
    Two thirds (68%) of UK adults, and 41% of young drivers, support the introduction of graduated driver licensing.
    16 year-old drivers in the US who are subject to graduated driver licensing have 37% fewer crashes per year, and 17% fewer crashes per mile driven.

and on and on and studied, peer reviewed on....

but hey...that's the nanny state for you..saving money, saving lives, reducing injuries...but FREEDOM! Fuck the Man! Booyah!
  11. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    leno knows best :1drink

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vAo0LWQFxdE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  12. Dualsport4ever

Dualsport4ever Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Be interesting to see if there is actual decrease in crashes where such programs are in place. Also, perhaps a good thing to come from such graduated bike licensing would be lower insurance rates.

Either way, I still like the freedom to make my own choices.
  13. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    And I like to make my own decisions as well, but I don't always choose wisely, or unselfishly or for the best of the society that I've chosen to live in.

Learners crash all the time, sometimes, often even, always tragically and nearly always avoidably, they take other people with them.

The state isn't saying "no", it's saying "train".
  14. Wraith Rider

Wraith Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    Don't blame the bike for operature error. No bike feels good if you use the completely wrong gear.

The ZZR-1400 does so (at least as long as it's not defective and doesn't deliver anything at all).
  15. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    Serious question: is it worse that someone can take a training class on a Rebel and buy a Hayabusa, or that someone can pass a 2-mile road test in a Civic, and then drive a 40', 35,000+lb motorcoach with full air brakes?
    khager likes this.
  16. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No suspension?
  17. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd say the second example is worse since it has the potential to kill more people.
    khager likes this.
  18. 81forest

81forest ADDRider

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure who you're arguing with, but I agree with you about increased driver training (I think). The "nannies" I'm referring to are the controls on the bike, not "nanny state".

There's only one reason these bikes have all the nanny controls: liability. As a manufacturer, you can't just send out a production bike with 200hp with full power on all the time, because it isn't going to be safe for road use for the average consumer. So it has nothing to do with the state regulating our bikes (unless we're talking about emissions.)

So manufacturers make increasingly sophisticated controls in order to make the power manageable for average consumers. They all race to make bigger and fasters motors, alongside all the electronic aids to limit the power. Bikes get bigger, heavier, more complicated, and way more expensive. I'm not saying that's a bad thing; motorcycle development is always a good thing.

I just would like to see a race for the lightest, safest and best handling, rather than the race for hp which no one can really use.
  19. ArmyStrong

ArmyStrong 6F

Oddometer:
    Whatever sells will be built.
  20. gmk999

gmk999 ____ as a Rotax

Oddometer:
    There is a slight difference in that If the rider is 300 pounds a lot of horsepower is nollied on the bike.
    The Motorhome, not so much