Your 200hp bike does not belong on the street.

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by 81forest, Feb 18, 2015.

1. ChaoSS402

ChaoSS402 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you really think you can use 200 hp on the road legally? The only way you use all of a bike's horsepower is by going throttle wide open at the correct rpm. Do that in a lower gear and you'll loop the bike, do it in a higher gear and you'll be well in excess of the speed limit.

You can certainly use all the horses available at a lower rpm but not 200+.
  2. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    Why do they sell 500hp sedans and 30,000ft2 mansions?
    They are not sold because we need them but because people like them and there is money to be made.
    Otherwise we all will be living in 70m2 flats and driving Ladas.
    Freedom of Speech (and expression) along of with freedom of Commerce are all a big part of freedom.
    There might be places and times where a regulatory system (for example, a regime) might try to regulate what people can have or not have.
    Personally, I know a 300-400lbs 30-50hp off road capable bike can get to any places and easier than any other bike but
    I cannot expect everyone to have the same vision I have for what Adventure and fun is.
    I like Rock and you might like Jazz.
    jasiu and Traxx like this.
  3. GeoAdventure

GeoAdventure Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not True
    I have, as many others have, cracked full throttle in first gear, with traction control on and barely lifted the front wheel. That does not mean, I popped the clutch.
    But the point I am making, it is not the bike but the rider. And to suggest that 200hp should not be allowed, is not looking at the history or logic of the argument! I have been riding for a half a century and I remember when the same argument was discussed for 100hp and even less!
    The Vincent Black Shadow had a top speed of 125 with only 55bhp.
    One can always argue XXXhp is not needed.
    But then we enter the Beard Logic realm!
  4. BywayMan

BywayMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The video I posted shows a head shake at 100 mph start. I doubt rider skills caused that.
  5. GeoAdventure

Oddometer:
    What in your opinion caused the head shake!
  6. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

Could be anything.

Bad surface, bad suspension set up, worn components, head bearing loose, wheel alignment.

Lots of ways to get into a slapper.
    Traxx likes this.
  7. GeoAdventure

Oddometer:
    Road induced or slipstream induced
    Rider shifting weight at the wrong moment
    Rider position shift during change in road condition or wind change. Unloading or loading from via throttle.
    like you said: many many many! Too many to speculate. But steering dampeners are a good add-on!
    With 215bhp, just lift the front wheel, at 100mph!
    Lol
  8. Tripped1

Oddometer:

Don't need 215hp to do that, my old 675 would walk the front end over crests at that speed and it was all of 110 at the wheel, that is the consequence of typical short wheelbases found on many super sports, particularly 600s.
    666Kayteaem and Traxx like this.
  9. GeoAdventure

Oddometer:
    True
  10. ChaoSS402

Oddometer:
    Traction control or wheelie control is just another way of saying that the bike is limiting/governing itself. You may have cracked the throttle open, but the bike most certainly did not, certainly not through the rpm range where it hits peak hours.

Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting you shouldn't have a 200 hp bike if you want one. I'm certainly not suggesting you shouldn't be allowed to have one. I'm just disagreeing with the idea that you can actually make use of the full 200 hp legally on the streets.
  11. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    We are not all street only riders.
  12. ChaoSS402

Oddometer:
    What's your point? I was responding to a post that made an incorrect statement.
  13. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    What was incorrect about his statement? Do you have any experience with said machines? I certainly do.
  14. 666Kayteaem

666Kayteaem Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Germany here yes you can do your max speed on the highway (if you can).
    I had 299km on the 3 motos mentioned and popped wheelies until about 190km.
    No traction control no abs etc.
    Conserning the video I have came across this by passing rail lines and the smallest stiffness on the rider can result on the ground you really need to let the bike get straight again the smallest interfere with steering wheel will drop you.
    Is not all about hp I can give you a Maiko 680cc 2 stroke /80hp you think is going to be safer bike from the Zxr600 ?
  15. GeoAdventure

Oddometer:
    again it boils down to semantics. Full use of the power! Do mean reaching the peak of the curve. Yes, if take traction control off and know how to ride.
    But it boils down to the full curve of power available to a 200+ hp machine vs that of a less powerful machine. For example my bike was able to do 0 to 60 in 2.3 seconds. Within the legal speed limits. But look at the curves. Utilizing the full available power at whatever rpm is greater on a 200hp machine. And yes you can use all 215 BHP, legally, in Idaho, on I-15, if you want. I would not. Speed limit is 90. Just stay in 1st gear. Lol. Of course this is a true but humorous comment. I have actually bumped the rev limiter, in first gear, on I-15, just to see what it will do.
    But to concede the argument! Yes 200+ bikes are insane. As are 200mph bike! And yes we cannot utilize the full potential on the streets, legally.
    However, it is great to have a street legal bike, that you can take to track days and have fun, and take to the drag strip. Or go bust the 200mph at the flats. All for under $10,000 (if you buy used)
    But do we just keep that insanity on the track? Yep sure do, officer.
    That is why I sold my last one, last November. I had owned over seven such bike. Maximize the hp, put over 100,000 miles combined. Not one ticket.
    But pushing 70, I know my reflexes are slower, so I should be too. So I bought a DR650. I actually feel less safe on this bike. I am at the mercy of cagers, no brakes, no handling, 1960 technologies. A 65 vw can out perform it.
    But it is a blast to ride!
  16. ChaoSS402

Oddometer:
    No. Not I know that wfo on my 65 hp bike will very nearly power wheelie the bike going through the hp peak in first gear, so yeah, I can figure what tripling that power will do.

Again, nothing wrong with that, just saying that the bike can't be used to it's full 200+hp within legal speed limits. (At least in America or anywhere with similar speed limits).
  17. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    So your sitting on a 100HP bike,and its pinned WFO in top gear and it just isnt getting you there? My stock 1250 would pass a car in a heartbeat with out even revving it up..... Its funny I have a DR650 bone stock engine,and I ride with guys that have hopped up their engines a good bit.
    But it doesnt matter cause they dont seem to know how to turn the throttle. They like the loud muffler and spinning the tire but beyond that they are at a loss.
    Going down a dirt road the stock DR spins the tire all day,If I want. So its hard to say how useful twice or 3 times that much power is worth.
    Once a tire is spinning its spinning.

A 200HP bike....no place in the US to use it all,for more than a split second. Need an autobahn.
  18. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I go faster on tight backroads on my DR650,then my 1250 would ever go.
    The DR does it easily and some bumps and gravel are fine. At least once 1000.00 is spent on suspension. DSCF4019.JPG It handles just fine but not in stock form.
    Brakes can be upgraded.
  19. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    There seems to be a lot of arguing about semantics, and just for the sake of arguing.

Can we all agree?

A 200+ HP bike can be ridden safely and legally by a competent rider.
    The full capabilities of a 200+ HP bike can't be used safely and legally in the US.
    No amount of HP can make a good rider bad, or a bad rider good.
    A 200+ HP bike can compound the effects of a riders lack of skill, judgment, or self control, but it doesn't cause it.

IMO, until such time as no vehicle is allowed to be capable of exceeding the legal limits, it doesn't make sense to say needless excess is ok, but set some arbitrary limit of what too much excess is.
    TEJ likes this.
  20. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    How about no.

1) Everyone doesn't live in the US
    2) Everyone doesn't use their bikes on public roads alone

You don't want a bike with a big motor, fine don't buy one, many of us do, and I have been riding bikes in the 190-200hp range since for about 18-19 years now without any major injury, and all of minor injuries those on a track.
    jasiu and BobcatSig like this.