Your 200hp bike does not belong on the street.

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by 81forest, Feb 18, 2015.

1. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure why you would read into it that way.

I specifically mentioned the US, and took it for granted "legally" would imply street use since it's not a requirement for use anywhere else.
    Perhaps I started myself poorly, but I said there shouldn't be arbitrary limits on HP, and none of my 4 statements suggest otherwise.
    TEJ likes this.
  2. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    Yup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 899 was north of 150hp, though I never dynoed it with the tune, Termi exhaust and forged wheels.

The Tuono is north of 180hp with the full Akro system. It gets around pretty well on the road, too.

[​IMG]

Again, semantics here, but one can ride a bike - legally - on track.
  3. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Indeed
    22540228_1453417038045295_5115645045649418133_n.jpg

If you look the plate is on it because I rode it there and back that day.
    Dtx915, 666Kayteaem and dharmadan like this.
  4. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    What do you take exception to in this statement?

Edited for clarity, what do you take exception to in this statement?

I awkwardly said I don't believe there should be any arbitrary HP limit.

Where did I say a 200+ HP bike is inherently dangerous, or shouldn't be allowed on public roads?

I don't understand the umbrage?
    TEJ likes this.
  5. Bigbugberg

Bigbugberg De oppresso liber Supporter

Oddometer:
    "Umbrage." nice.
  6. fetherston

fetherston Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks to COVID-19, some 3d printed brackets, and eBay lights, my R1M track bike is doing street duty along with my GS. Ask me anything.

On the surface it's actually a pretty mild mannered streetbike. It's smooth, the quickshifter makes it feel like a big scooter, and the electronic suspension set to full soft makes for a pretty plush street ride. The TC does a really nice job of keeping you safe managing the unpredictable nature of the road. I typically run tc, slide control and abs in about the mid settings with lift control off because being able to pick the front tire up at literally any speed is just plain fun. It's quite easy to ride.

It's loud, eats tires and gas with no sympathy for your wallet, it's uncomfortable, it runs hot, has the turning radius of a city bus, attracts the attention of every copy you pass, geared completely wrong for riding in town, eclipses speed limits in milliseconds, and if I was younger, expensive to insure. It's pointless overkill 99% of the time.

But it's exciting. You get off it quietly giggling to yourself marveling that such a machine even exists. A modern liter bike is the pinnacle of motorcycle performance. Of course it belongs, people just value different things.

This forum values comfort, touring, and practicality. That doesn't reflect everyone's values in motorcycling so we shouldn't paint broad strokes of what belongs and what doesn't.

Attached Files:

7. BobcatSig

Oddometer:
    Someone gets it. I'm glad to see you riding the race bike on the street.

Sometimes, motorcycles are entirely an emotional thing. It's whatever blows your hair back.
    DR Donk and dharmadan like this.
  8. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rode my son's GSX-R 600 race bike once. It probably made about 130hp and weighed 360lbs or so. I thought that thing was violent. Pretty hard to ride on the street I imagine. I don't know how you folks ride those 200hp monsters that can probably run 1/4 mile in 7-8 seconds. Even that 600 I mentioned had better be pointed in the right direction when I pulled the trigger because that is where it was going in the flash of an eye!!!
    dharmadan likes this.
  9. mwzl

mwzl mwzl

Oddometer:
    That's the great thing about such a bike.
    Enjoy your rides
    dharmadan likes this.
  10. Tripped1

Oddometer:

Same way you ride any other bike, with more throttle control.
    BobcatSig, Dtx915 and dharmadan like this.
  11. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    Also, most of the 200hp bikes have a lot more Nanny controls on them, not that you cant still hurt yourself with them if you are ham fisted. The Nannies are not that good yet.

I think there is no reason for them not to exist. I think my problem is that many seem to equate more rider skill to these machines when, from what I have actually seen is that the opposite is true. It is typically the more noobish riders that buy these, whether it is so they can keep up with their riding buddies that have more skill and corner much faster than them, or just so they appear less noobish, I don't know.
    Most of the truely fast riders I have met have relatively sedate bikes as far as HP, and are still the fastest in 99% of riding conditions, or at least till it becomes extremely flat and straight. Even the professional racers I know train on much smaller displacement. lower HP machines with no active electronics. They have told me that the lack of HP is a good training tool as you can make up for a poor corner with HP that way and you learn better habbits.
    666Kayteaem likes this.
  12. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm betting the same thing that was true in 1980s is still true.

When Sen John Danforth was pushing the outlawing of "Bullet Bikes", with the help of Joan Claybrook and the NHTSA, they were all about how horrendous those high powered "crotch rocket" bikes were and wanted to make it illegal to have the high horsepower 1000cc range super sports. Problem was when the actual statistics were looked at in a straight forward way the facts pointed out the fallacy in the assumption that bigger was more dangerous with more fatalities. Just wasn't true. Turned out a majority of the big bore super sport bikes were bought by older, more experienced, more responsible riders. The accidents and death rates were not as high as claimed and were actually lower. Low enough the bill died out. Anyone really involved in motorcycling or in the industry could have pointed that out in short order. Big displacement and high horsepower had little to do with the rate of fatalities and injuries.

Probably still true.

I really won't argue anything about learning riding or the like. I will argue that what I just pointed out from the original development of the super sports is very likely still true. Most who buy a big inch super sport look at it as an investment like a serious performance car, not something they can beat up and thrash. Paying twice as much for a "thrash bike" doesn't make sense to those kind of riders. Even the serious stunt bike riders don't do the bigger more expensive version, because it isn't worth it to pay more and they don't need the power.

You just aren't going to have some punk squid or stunter-wannabe go in and drop an extra $5000 to go from say an R6 to an R1. They know they're going to ride like idiots and won't spend the extra money. That is not to say everyone on an R6 is an idiot. I'm sure there are a lot of riders who buy them with the same "investment" in serious performance as I would. Many would go the extra money just to have the "Lamborghini" of motorcycles with one of the big bore super sports.
  13. Dtx915

Dtx915 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Still trying to figure out how to get the new Z1000H-2. If I do I will ride it on the street just like any other bike I own. I have no tickets, not even a parking ticket !
    If I want to race I sign up and line up like I have for decades.
    Last year an old friend of mine went for a ride with me. When we stopped all he kept saying was how he was expecting me to go by one one wheel. I have never lifted my motorcycle on the street but somehow that was what I was going to do.
    Some people have no self control, so if they can't ride a 200hp motorcycle on the street nobody can.
    Traxx likes this.
  14. Strayarider

Strayarider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Self control is the important one mate. Nice one. Riding bikes comes with certain responsibility for us and our loved ones.

I think it's great that some folks can enjoy 200bhp on the street. I can't, I like to wring the fucker's neck and find the limits. Each to their own.

I'm happy with 250cc's now on street and offroad. I might get another bigger bike later, i might not. Depends on my location, road conditions, lifestyle, lots of things.

The motorcycling world is not a cock-measuring contest. Fortunately, that's a game with only one player.
    DR Donk and Dtx915 like this.
  15. BobcatSig

Oddometer:
    These 200 hp bikes are scary. How do people even ride these belly bullets?

[​IMG]

These bikes are so powerful. Why even ride them on the road? :D

Oh, right. Because they're fun.

I just picked up this RSV4 RR. Only 201 horsepower. I'll probably die. Or grin like an idiot when I twist the throttle.

Now, where does this put me in whatever-measuring contest?
    MTBRALPH, Dtx915 and Colorad0 like this.
  16. Dtx915

Dtx915 Long timer

Oddometer:
    almost pulled the trigger on one a few years ago when I got my Guzzi NTX but at that time I didn't need another track bike but things have changed !
    BobcatSig likes this.
  17. Squidbrah

Squidbrah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    52023516-8A4D-42DA-8820-C1FC6D582E69.png

I whipped an R1 around on the streets for the past 5 years. Just traded her in for a more comfortable, slightly slower Tuono.

I'm more of a dangerous freedom over oppressive safety kinda guy...and I'll be staying that way.
  18. BobcatSig

Oddometer:
    You sure about that? :D
  19. Squidbrah

Squidbrah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mannn let me tell you...The R1 was an absolute knife. The Tuono definitely holds its own but I did trade an eentsy bit of performance for comfort. To be honest I do have more fun on the Tuono because I'm not sore after 2 hours like I was on the R1.
  20. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    This is the SV650 argument.....from a LWT racer :lol3