Your 200hp bike does not belong on the street.

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by 81forest, Feb 18, 2015.

1. vecchio Lupo

vecchio Lupo Diplomatico Di Moto

Oddometer:
    Of course your example makes perfect sense in theory, or where economics don't come into play.

A 17 year old who just learned to drive a Eggplant Cannon Homda Civic, will not be given a job driving somebody else's half million dollar rig, nor are they very likely to pony up that kind of cash themselves (yes, I know rich parents exist). Unfortunately, the 17 year old who took the MSF on a Rebel 250 and racked up a few miles on his cousins dirt bike, can cut grass all summer and stroll into a Suzuki Dealership and buy a used Busa or maybe even apply his graduation money toward a new GSXR and then go out and ride the roads with you.

I support unlimited HP for experienced license holders and also stepped licenses. While I was stationed overseas, I saw first hand the advantages of that system.
  2. fratermus

fratermus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Think of all the money, lives, and injuries saved if they just outlawed bikes.
    James11 likes this.
  3. khager

khager Long timer

Oddometer:
    I
    You can get a late 70's early 80's. Class A. 20,000lb Motorhome pretty cheap. Yes one that Cousin Eddie would be proud of.:lol3
  4. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    Is that your way of saying that you disagree with mandatory bike training and testing?

As for KTM's CEO - it was rather an idiotic thing to say - I wonder if he was the same bloke who said no to the LWR crew.

10 to 1 his car has more than 200 HP.
  5. 81forest

81forest ADDRider

Oddometer:
    If his car has more than 200hp, then...?
  6. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    He says it's "impossible to argue that it (a 200 HP bike) belongs on the street anymore...." and yet I doubt he drives a Smart car around Austria - now, I'm making an assumption about the car but I think it's reasonable (Austrians place great store in the type of car they drive) so, assuming I'm right - isn't that rather hypocritical?

IMO assuming you're sufficient experience and training I see no reason why, as others have said, you shouldn't be free to make your own decisions about exactly how much HP you want your bike to have...

I'd love to have an RSV4R - I'd never need it's full power on the streets but I'd want to ride it to a track and open it up from time to time (to time to time to time....).

He's saying that KTM won't homologate their new RC8 for roaduse - fair play, but I'd never buy it, I don't want a track only bike - it's way to specific a purpose for me. Of course, as Joey would say - "it's a moo point" I can't even afford a 100HP right now, let alone a 200 HP (well, 177.5) one :(:
  7. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    At 60 mph, you should have been in 4th, not 6th. What you did was abusing that bike by lugging it. I'll grant that it's geared a bit tall for the average person, but that's easily fixed with a front sprocket change. Mine isn't happy cruising under 4000 rpm, so I don't do it. I use the gearbox to keep it happy at the speed I happen to be at any given time. I don't get into 6th until about 80 mph. Different machines require different riding techniques.
    Traxx likes this.
  8. SCPancho

SCPancho Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting comment from someone that sells 160hp motorcycles.
  9. SCPancho

SCPancho Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can make your own choices. If you want a bigger bike, get qualified, take the test and get licensed. We don't just let anyone hop in an airplane and take off.
  10. CSI

CSI Long timer

Oddometer:

No.....Just the 1300A

I can always take one of my children's bikes......one of em has an 06 Ninja 500, and the other has an 03 Suzuki 650 Savage..:rofl
  11. JaySwear

JaySwear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My thoughts too. My 848 Streetfighter is geared for the street, not a track, and IT would be pissed doing 60 mph in 6th gear. That's 3rd or 4th gear territory to keep that engine happy. How unhappy a bike is when you lug the hell out of the motor shouldn't be a determining factor in the bike's enjoy-ability.
  12. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    Just a note: I tried to edit my post to change "primitve" to "refined" but the strike-out code must not work here in ADV. Or I did it wrong. My brain fart...
  13. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    Strikethrough doesn't work here - at least not directly - if you really want to use it, use a word processor and then cut/paste to your post here. <STRIKE>That works fine</STRIKE>.
  14. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    Actually "that someone can pass a 2-mile road test in a Civic, and then drive a 40', 35,000+lb motorcoach with full air brakes" is a myth. Anything with air brakes requires testing and training in any state I can think of. Air brakes are required over 26,000 pounds. So, someone can, in theory, "pass a 2-mile road test in a Civic, and then drive a 30+', 25,999 lb GVWR motorcoach." But I bet it doesn't happen much. There is another huge distinction within your often-repeated myth: There is a huge difference between driving an RV and driving a commercial rig, best explained by the fact that anyone can drive a Ford LTD, but it takes a special license and training to drive an LTD taxicab. Another example is that while anyone can take a 28' boat offshore fishing, but if you carry passengers for hire, you need a special license.

Lastly, I fully support graduated licensing. No one should be able to drive four wheels until they first master two. Motorcycle license first then car. Be an egg first, then you can be a hammer.
  15. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do it like this: <"S"> word <"s"/> Remove the quotes on the s on both sides: <S>like this</S><S><S><S><S>
    </S>
    </S>
    </S></S>
  16. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    <S>and thus begins a rash of folks using strikethrough </S>:evil</S></S>
  17. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    All I heard was

"IIIII don't think YOUUUU should have 200hp bike, Bugatti, guns, yada, yada, yada."

Classic liberal knows whats good for someone else.
    DirtMedic and Traxx like this.
  18. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    Ah, yes. A full worldview in one motorcycle thread. Nice.
  19. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    Got it. Thanks.
  20. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    Your comment is very insightful.