Your 200hp bike does not belong on the street.

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by 81forest, Feb 18, 2015.

1. JohnCW

JohnCW Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not thinking, just quoting you "As you see, 200hp on a sportbike is pretty close to being optimally fitting public road regulations".

Are you thinking?
  2. Wraith Rider

Wraith Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    Now what? (I tend to agree on the second statement, since it would explain why you completely failed in this simple multiplication task.)
  3. JohnCW

JohnCW Long timer

Oddometer:
    :huh Makes about the same sense as your silly calculation.
  4. Neverenuff

Neverenuff Feral male !

Oddometer:
    I can't believe he said that in public!
  5. Rgconner

Rgconner Long timer

Oddometer:
    He is calculating how fast you can go at just under 1G of acceleration.

After that point, you no longer accelerate at ~1G.

Pretty damn fast at ~2.8 seconds
    scooterscott likes this.
  6. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    No, wrong. Note that most big rental trucks have full air brakes, and many have rear air suspension!

No, wrong. (Offhand, Ford offers a 29,000lb GVWR F650 with hydraulic brakes.)

Explain, in detail, how the mechanics of driving a bus set up as a motorhome differ from driving said bus set up as a passenger coach. Be specific. (Note that MANY large diesel pushers are over 26,000lbs...and that's not even mentioning the gigantic 5th wheel trailers.)
  7. car94

car94 What's this Box for?

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap I know at 2.8 seconds I am well past 60 MPH and getting ready to shift into 2nd gear and it is more fun than you should be allowed to have!!!:D:D:D:D
    [​IMG][/IMG]
  8. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    The point is: this is not a multiplication task; it is a psychological one. :rofl

Motorcycles have been over-powered for the road for many decades. This is nothing new. However, because several street bikes are now reaching 200hp specs, it has called the attention of the media and legislators to the FACT that motorcycles have been very powerful, much more than what you NEED for riding (fast or otherwise) on the road. So the question has become: now what?
  9. Wraith Rider

Wraith Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    Maybe, but not because of too much power, it was because the suspension couldn't keep up with the engine power. However, it is no longer the case that motorcycles are overpowered for many years now.

You don't need more than 15hp for riding at all, that's right. Some would even argue that much less is needed. Around 5hp might be enough. BUT how much power is "needed" to ride at all never was, and never will be of any interest.
  10. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure I am buying into your interpretation of how all the formulas apply so I'll propose a simple experiment instead.

You be the grown man, OK? Hop on a S1000RR, turn off traction control and wheelie control, run it at some speed under 140 kph, select a gear so the engine is around 12,500 to 13,000 RPM, and open the throttle. I'll hold your beer and take the video. :evil
  11. Wraith Rider

Wraith Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    I'd never do that on a bike I'm not accustomed to. Not even with TC activated. So it's really no "simple experiment" but needs a lot of preparation.
    Even with the right amount of training on this bike, there would be no reason to turn off my safety net that intervenes if I make a mistake near the edge of what is physically possible. That's like if you asked me to do a test ride without brakes or without suspension. Why should I leave usefull parts of the bike unused? That makes no sense.
  12. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    Am I alone, and wrong?, in thinking that not a lot will happen....

Red line/rev limiter on the RR is what? 15k? so if you're running at 12,500, in any gear, not all that much is gonna happen.

Is it?
  13. 81forest

81forest ADDRider

Oddometer:
    Peak of 199 horsepower on those is right at 12,500-13,000...
  14. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:

Ahh, OK but I'm still not really up with the implication - maybe I'm being obtuse...

peak power at 13k I get...easy...but if you run the bike up to 12,500 or 13,000 rpm and then open the throttle...not much is gonna happen..

Or are you saying that there's enough torque in the remaining 500 RPM to lift that front wheel in 4th (for example)?

I'm not saying the entire experience wouldn't be a puckerable one but won't most of it be over by the time you hit 12,500...

[​IMG]

A very different story at 5,500 RPM however...that's where the fear begins - if I'm reading things aright.
  15. 81forest

81forest ADDRider

Oddometer:
    One way to find out! :evil
  16. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:

:rofl
  17. mrphotoman

mrphotoman Long timer

Oddometer:
    All bikes should be 900+lbs and 30hp with less than 20 degrees of lean angle and be named after overweight people. Anything else is just asking for trouble!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ygc0CvxlVBQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  18. avocadofarmer

avocadofarmer Fruit Coot

Oddometer:
    The one thing we don't have in this world is a shortage of people, so lets forget the rules and let things sort themselves out.
  19. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Because, if you turn on the electronic controls you will not experience the full 200 HP (-15% from powertrain loss). Have some faith man. Your equations clearly show everything will be just fine. What could possibly go wrong?

Ah, but our math/physics instructor is talking about using 200 HP on public roads at mostly legal speeds. I have not checked specifications on the S1000RR but I would guess 12,500 rpm at a speed under 80 mph would put you in first or second gear. Who wants to guess what happens when you whack open the throttle of a S1000RR in first or second gear with the engine at peak horsepower? The bike flips in the blink of an eye? The rear tire goes up in smoke? Or, as the math demonstration predicts, the bike simply accelerates?
  20. rodhersh

rodhersh Been here awhile

Oddometer: