Your 200hp bike does not belong on the street.

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by 81forest, Feb 18, 2015.

1. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    I've just been to a seminar on the 2015 S1000RR, and it has a bunch of new features, things like clutchless downshifting that automatically blips the throttle, and launch control. You hold the throttle on the stop, RPM comes up to 80%, and you just dump the clutch. The traction control runs the throttle to prevent tire slippage and wheelies and you just shift as needed without the clutch.
  2. mrphotoman

mrphotoman Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is really cool.
  3. Wraith Rider

Wraith Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    You will only not experience the full 200hp with electronics on if the circumstances aren't optimal. Like bad road surface.
    What could go wrong? That's all explained by physics and it is a shame that I have to explain it to you - one should know the physics before mounting a motorcycle.
    One could fail to shift your weight properly and indeed flip back, there is proof on youtube that this happens even with the most powerless bikes. One could operate the throttle not smooth enough by accident and apply too much power to the rear before dynamic weight shift has occured. One could underestimate the acceleration and rocket yourself into something. One could miss to identify a spot with decreased grip on the road ahead.
    Erring is human, you know.

It's already proven by riders more proficient than me that stock sport bikes indeed ARE able to deliver that power to the ground. They are tested to reach 100kph in 3 seconds without flipping over or smoking tires up. Keeping aerodynamic drag in mind, these 3 seconds wouldn't be possible if the bike wasn't able to put force worth of 1g acceleration to the ground.
  4. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Offer still stands. No nanny electronic governors to cut power. 200 BHP WFO. S1000RR, Panigale 1299, wherever. Give any bike unregulated 200 horsepower at street legal speeds. I will hold your beer and post your fail on YouTube.
  5. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    I must admit - I'm boggled...you boggle me...you have boggled me :)

You seem to be implying two things here

1 - that without driver aids the bikes you name (and more that you didn't name) are unrideable on the streets...
    and
    2 - that there's only one way to ride these bikes - and that's throttle to the stop and taking each gear to peak power each time before changing up....

Now, the most powerful bike I've ever ridden was a 125bhp (rear wheel) rebuilt katana so I can't speak directly to the riding experience of the RSV4R *drool* or the S1000RR etc but surely the throttle is a twisty thing that doesn't HAVE to be turned all the way to 11 each time? Surely short shifting is fine and whilst the bike may not like it very much I'd have thought it perfectly possible for it to pootle along at 40mph, or 70 without it imploding into a chuntering pile of shrapnel...

or I am wrong?
  6. Wraith Rider

Wraith Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    So you want to provide a cool bike for me I can play with FOR FREE with the only requirement that I completely without reason and completely senseless turn off some of its parts it was designed to work with and you may put that on Youtube? DEAL! Come over and bring the good stuff, I'll accept your generous offer instantly. Oh, just one requirement from my side I want to add, since you demand me to use a sophisticated system in a way it was never meant to be operated, you should as well provide the safety gear. You may be an inerrable superhuman, but I am not and have to protect myself in case I make one of the mistakes I explained to you.
  7. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:

To err is human but to ride a S1000RR without rider aids is divine?
  8. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess the Boss Hoss LS445 is a bit over the top with 445 hp
  9. quasigentrified

quasigentrified Bikeslut

Oddometer:
    mmmm, acceleration. :1drink
  10. mrphotoman

mrphotoman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why don't you do it if you are so big and bad about it?

Heck, get a 20hp dirt bike, rev it up to redline and pop the clutch in 1st gear and see what happens. Go ahead, do it. The offer still stands, I will hold your beer and post your fail on youtube. Go on....... DO IT

Still waiting........are you chicken or something?

Come on, still waiting.

The offer still stands...............

STILL

W
    A
    I
    T
    I
    N
    G
  11. AustinRT

AustinRT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I sense new material for Tosh.O in the making here. :lurk

Larry
  12. Johann

Johann Commuterus Tankslapperus

Oddometer:
    I can´t afford an S1000R but I´ll chip in five dollars to help buy Wraith Rider a Yamaha FS1E with a Nitrous kit if somebody will film it.
  13. 81forest

81forest ADDRider

Oddometer:
    We should organize a charity ride! A "Please help send Wraith to maximum acceleration" event. Kickstarter??
  14. Johann

Johann Commuterus Tankslapperus

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  15. Buliwyf

Buliwyf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why?

Ride to the track. Get my knee down. WOT all the way to 155mph on the straight. Ride home.

You must be doing it wrong. Oh, and Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP2's will hook up on the street on a warm day just fine. But you'll be way over your idiotic "street legal speeds" qualifier long before you get the throttle stop in 2nd gear.

If you want to ride olde arse 1994 zx7rr's, then do so.
  16. car94

car94 What's this Box for?

Oddometer:
    Why is the WFO or what has it got to do with launching a High HP bike?
    I launch at 3500 to 4000 rpm. The front end comes up about 6" and I get some wheel spin on Dunlop Q3's and a little lift after I hit 2nd gear! Like this>
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bBOZDvfrkqU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  17. 81forest

81forest ADDRider

Oddometer:
    High horsepower bikes good, launching WFO very good! But where to use that on a public road? Looks great on the drag strip, and makes total sense on the track, but criminal fines are bad. Reckless endangerment charges, bad.
  18. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry to be so obtuse. Just agreeing to some degree with SP's statement in the interview. I simply don't believe a rider can make full use of 200 HP on public roads.

Open the throttle at any non negligent speed and traction and wheelie controls will cut power to something well below 200 HP. Ride around at lower rpm and the power is below 200 HP.

On the track more is always better but on public roads there is only so much a rider can make use of.
  19. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are making the assumption that all riders ride within the law, which is obviously not true.

The statement is that you can't use 200hp on the street not that you can't use 200hp legally on the street.
  20. sharkmotorcycle

sharkmotorcycle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well why to make that kind of statement it's that you are interfering in some others domain. It would be like Apple suggesting Samsung not to make phones which are 6+ in size.