Your best motorcycle travel pic EVER!

Discussion in 'Photos' started by kimangao, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Quitou

Quitou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not the best ever, but a favorite I take often. Mustang Valley Nepal. Not far from Tibet. I have some space on a trip next spring if anyone wants to have their picture taken on this spot, in front of Nilgiri peak, 23,155 feet. DSCF6798.jpg
  2. pingvin

pingvin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Already have my picture taken in front of those mountains (sorry white mountains bit under exposed, mobile camera) :D But absolutely recommend going there, and do it now before the chinese build new road in Nepal up to the border (is being discussed now) and all the authentic culture is gone. We went to Tibetian border (China) but our guide said it's more tibetian on the Nepal side as a lot of Tibetians fled to Nepal where they have been allowed to keep their culture (as opposed to in China).

[​IMG]

And another pic from further up the valley:

[​IMG]

We went up to 5000m (16.000ft) almost to where snow in background (chinese border fence at the right in pic), was a bit of a struggle as no trails or anything but worth it :clap

[​IMG]
  3. Quitou

Quitou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I live on the Nepal side where there are thousands of miles of rugged roads. We regularly visit areas where the culture is not only unchanged, many villages we visit have never before seen western travelers. Nepal is truly an untapped paradise of riding, but people tend only want to stick to the same routes thousands of tourists on motorcycles use. Oh well. More unspoiled Himalayas for us! :)

There's no race to find vanishing cultures in Nepal, but most riders are just not adventurous enough to get off the popular tourist routes to go find it. We were the first westerners to visit this secret village in 60 years. Just behind this village I have seen two snow leopards.
    DSCF5159-4.jpg
  4. pingvin

pingvin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fair point and guilty as charged
  5. Scubawerx

Scubawerx Scubawerx

Oddometer:
    Where do they pipe their sewage?
    tattoo Dave likes this.
  6. Quitou

Quitou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting question. :) Like the old towns in America, most use deep, as in very deep, holes above pretty simple outhouses. Not going to lie, it creates significant issues in some areas. This is why my motorcycle touring company also folds water health initiatives into our group trips. We've provided safe drinking water solutions to 20,000 rural villagers, because of things like underground sewage and water quality issues.

That said, some of these villages in Nepal, particularly in the jungles along the border of India, are immaculately clean. Even a family living in a house made of mud keep them spotless and organized.
    catfish, Scubawerx, Muscongus and 2 others like this.