Your bike in Colombia? Or where to buy used bike?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by WhicheverAnyWayCan, Dec 1, 2013.

1. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    Hi,

Going back to Colombia in Feb for 2 months stay and I would like to see about renting your bike (without paying too much like Motolombia) or at least buy a cheap used bike from a Colombian or moto dealer? I might keep it and storage it down there or just sell it out after I leave? All depends.

I couldn't find a website of motorcycle dealer in Medellin so if anyone know where I can find a website, that would be great!

Or if you are American and you already have a bike in Colombia for storage you want to make some extra bucks.. I'd be glad to pay rent and soat (insurance) during my stay in Colombia. Of course, the price would have to be right and I'd glad to oblige on "broke/crash it and I bought it" agreement. Or say you decide you need it shipped back to the USA, I'd be more than happy to ride it to wherever the shipping company is (Bogota or Cartagena or wherever) and I'll take bus back to Medellin at my expense. I am flexible on paying for some fee for you assuming it doesn't break my pocket.

I'm a good rider with good driving record. No speeding or serious citation in the USA in past 10 years other than a small accident of backing up company's pick-up into small car in the parking lot and citation were dismissed after insurance settled the matter. I'll sign agreement agreeing to pay for any traffic ticket I may have pick up in Colombia (Speed camera).
  2. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    :hmmmmm:ear:huh
    lurker here...:D
  3. WhicheverAnyWayCan

Oddometer:
    Two sites came recommended by Colombians:

Mercadolibre Colombia

TuMoto

I was told I need a Cedula to purchase motorcycle in Colombia so I am looking into that. I hope passport is sufficient but I think they meant Colombia Government issued ID?
  4. WhicheverAnyWayCan

Oddometer:
    Ok another update.. Spoke with Mike of Motolombia and he told me that you can go to Central Vehicle Register and show your passport and get your fingerprint into the system.. then you will be allowed to buy a motorcycle in Colombia..

I'll have my date call the office in Medellin just to be sure it is that easy for American (Mike is a Denmark I think?). You never know if they have different rules for different citizen?
  5. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    It's as easy as Mike says. I did it as a US citizen and everything went off without a hitch.
  6. WhicheverAnyWayCan

Oddometer:
    Parcero,

Thanks for the reply.. what did you go about buying a bike? From the dealer or private seller or ??

I was thinking about trying to see if I could find a dealer that can sell small bike real cheap and take credit card so I can put it on plastic.. unless you have a better idea?

I think I have secured a room for 2 months in Medellin and plan to escape few times to do some exploring on northern part. Already did central/south last month.

Appreciate any tip you can offer..
  7. rover650

rover650 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What about selling a bike in Columbia? Possible?
  8. WhicheverAnyWayCan

Oddometer:
    Rover, I may be wrong but if I understand Colombia's law correctly??

You may sell Colombia-registered bike to other Colombian or foreigner living in Colombia that plan to keep it in Colombia.

You may sell non-Colombia registered bike to anyone who will ride it out of Colombia before the temp permit expires.

What is really not clear to me whether you can import bike into Colombia because I am hearing that Colombia will not allow this because they want to help dealers make money selling vehicle/bike. I am also hearing that you could import vehicle/bike if you are prepared to pay hefty tax? And another story I am hearing is that you could import vehicle/bike that is over X years old? This is part I can't help you right now.

Do you have a bike in Colombia you are thinking about selling? Maybe I might be interested depending on the price and insurance/temp permit issue?