Your bike in deepest mud, swamp, bog, quagmire, etc.

Discussion in 'Photos' started by ThirdUncle, Nov 9, 2017.

1. ThirdUncle

ThirdUncle More will than skill

Oddometer:
    @The Bigfella - I've been to Thailand at least 30 times but never set foot in Chiang Mai. Haven't been back since 2004, when I decided it was too 'done' for me, and vowing not to return. My wife wants to go. She's Sunda, a Bandungian, has no idea what the hell's up there. I used to be semi-fluent in Thai, so maybe I could reactivate it, disavow my vow and return in a year or so with her and kid. You staying put?
  2. The Bigfella

The Bigfella Big Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's the plan. I'm heading back to Oz for a couple of months in the middle of the year - when no-one's riding much here. Might take my wife and introduce her to real cold weather too.

A Bandungian eh? I only stayed in Bangung for one night when I was riding up here from Australia. I did, however, have a Javanese princess on the back of my bike for a couple of years. Grandaughter of the Sultan. I'd post a pic... but wouldn't want the missus to see it :rofl:rofl

Back on topic... here's a shot near the Burmese border, coming back from having a week in a refugee camp. This truck is bogged. The other one chickened out and walked in the rest of the way, leaving the truck there.

[​IMG]

and me, on another trip (doing the Missing Link, from Sangklaburi to Umphang.... first bikes through in 7 months, helping Muddy Jack out of the mud

[​IMG]
    Geschift likes this.
  3. ThirdUncle

ThirdUncle More will than skill

Oddometer:
    @The Bigfella - I believe you've out-bogged us all here. Don't stop. You've done all the rides I'd wanted to do when I was in SE Asia. I did my share in 89-99, but never close to that level -- as you couldn't even gain entry into some of those countries -- not without sneaking in.

I have an old Aussie friend, used to sell boats in Singapore, in Thailand, and is floating a Borneo jungle track crossing notion. I reckon I could get at least one mate from here to do that for a total of 3-4 guys. I took a yacht and longboat into the heart of Sarawak in 1990. There were almost no roads. I think there are now. What's your take? What bike would you use for that?

Also curious what armour, gear and clothes you wear on the Ho Chi Minh Trail and in the jungle? I'm a big sweaty bastard and can barely handle ATGATT here in Ontario trails, especially when we get stuck and are wrastlin' 450lb bikes out of the ooze. Been close to expiring a few times from overheating.