1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Your Broke Down Bike (and dignity)....

Discussion in 'Photos' started by YukonTracker, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Tall Man

Tall Man Antisocially distanced

Oddometer:
    I traded in my last motorcycle because of the threat of the same problem eventually occurring. Performing the necessary preventative maintenance, even in the garage and with the bike on a lift table, was more than a simple little job. No thanks. Give me a cable-operated clutch every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
  2. haystack

haystack Just ride

Oddometer:
    Only plumbers crack:lol3 on @pigmo
    jfman likes this.
  3. tac650

tac650 Broken...

Oddometer:
    Years ago near Bend, OR I had an issue with the upper triple clamp after chasing a KTM950 down a trail with several small jumps. I went into the next corner and the bike went one way and the front wheel went another. The second photo explains it all. Another rider came back to look for me and then went to get his truck so we could take my bike home.

PICT0014r1k.JPG PICT0022r1k.JPG
    Gham, GlosBoy45, Dao1 and 2 others like this.
  4. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    Damn....

Did you fix it?
  5. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    docjekyll2002 likes this.
  6. tac650

tac650 Broken...

Oddometer:
    Yes, I found a used upper tripple clamp in Texas and the generous owner gave me a good deal.
    docjekyll2002 likes this.
  7. tac650

tac650 Broken...

Oddometer:
    The bike and my self came to rest, adbruptly, up aginist this rock on the side of the trail. You can barly see where the bike dug in. I got revenge by reliving my self on it, child like revenge I know. :-)

PICT0013r1k.JPG
  8. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My ride ended a little early today - shoulder didn't fare much better.

[​IMG]
  9. ktmtraveler

ktmtraveler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Somewhere in Arizona, one of 6 worn tires during the 5 month road trip:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk
    tattoo Dave likes this.
  10. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just checkin' the points, they were fine.
    [​IMG]

Later that same day, I found the problem. A corroded connection along the frame.
    [​IMG]

I was in the reassembly phase when this pic was taken.
  11. dogjaw

dogjaw plays well alone

Oddometer:
    Western Colorado[​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    Iron Cross Junction likes this.
  12. vintagebob

vintagebob Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Brand new Triumph 800XC I bought so that my brother could ride through Glacier and Yellowstone with me. Immobilizer system failed and would no longer recognize the key. The only Triumph shop in Montana (Missoula) could not figure it out?! U-haul rescue vehicle...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. Gham

Gham past expiration date Supporter

Oddometer:

I don't see a Triumph listed at the bottom of your page with your other 2 bikes :lol3
  14. Racer111v

Racer111v Long timer

Oddometer:
    On my way to the Unadilla MX Nationals I started thinking something was funny with the front end. I pulled over twice and felt the hub, and shook the wheel. The hub was cold and the wheel felt OK. So I pressed on. About two hours in the spedo stopped. It is cable driven, and I have had it fall off the spedo end before. I found a lot to pull over and this is what I found. P8180005.JPG P8180004.JPG

The bearings were clearly shot now. It still early afternoon, so I found a bike shop (BMW) close by. They clearly didn't want to have any thing to do with my Ducati. They did find a Ducati dealer, but my house was closer than that dealer. I just hate calling the tow truck. So I started heading home. I stopped at a shop and bought a container of grease on the way and packed a bunch in. I stopped and checked it a few times and jammed some more grease in. Made it home in about 3 hours with out any catastrophe. I kick my self for not changing the front bearings when I did the rears a few months back. The rears were in good shape when I changed them chasing another issue. The fronts were on the list.

P8180007.JPG

P8180006.JPG
  15. Alex B.

Alex B. Adventurer

Oddometer:

I used to live in Big Bend when my dad worked there! We used to go to Alpine all the time!
  16. Alex B.

Alex B. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My 1967 Kawasaki A1-SS electric conversion. My charger crapped out on me... So now I have it parked until my new charger comes in the mail! (any day now!) IMG_20170404_165045.jpg
  17. Iron Cross Junction

Iron Cross Junction Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Va.
    That third photo is stupendous. :(:

Bill
  18. Motorwerx

Motorwerx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Happened while I was waiting for my new chain to arrive in the mail :doh
    Started making noise on the way home after a day of riding up in the mountains, pulled off the freeway to check it out. Crossed my fingers it would make it home, got about 100 yards up the onramp and it spat it right out the back.
    [​IMG]
  19. Skellington

Skellington Pro Coffee Drinker

Oddometer:
    ^^ Wow that must have been pretty scary !
  20. The Bigfella

The Bigfella Big Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gee, I haven't posted on this thread since 2010. I've got a few dozen incidents that would qualify since then.

How about one that led to another? I went down the Ho Chi Minh Trail in September 2012 - that's wet season. I made it most of the way, despite some deep mud and water... but eventually drowned the bike in a river crossing and spent a couple of days sorting it out - put up by some lovely locals who fed me on rat (yeah, rat) and helped charge up the battery from a solar panel. It was a tad remote.

[​IMG]

I'd just done an oil change... an hour before I drowned it... and I had to ride out a bit to get more oil. Here's the oil that came out (90 minutes running time on it)

[​IMG]

I think that was the start of the end for that engine. I made it through Cambodia, back into Thailand and even did the missing link trail on it, up the Burma border.... but it was having issues... hard to start, etc. Come 2014, I threw a new piston in and set off into Laos again.... but I decided to turn around and head back to Thailand for a proper look at the bike.

Here's the bike, seized solid, 4km from the China border (I wasn't crossing, just visiting Boten to see how the ghost town had changed since 2012).

[​IMG]

It took 3 days to get back to "civilization"... the capital, Vientiane.

Something not quite right in there

[​IMG]

I think it might have been a shim behind the clutch.

[​IMG]

Whatever - I took the engine back to Oz and threw in a brand new 613 when I got back to the bike in 2015
    knight, Dao1, GlosBoy45 and 6 others like this.