Your favorate camping spot in Big Bend.

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by Dagwood_55, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Dagwood_55

Dagwood_55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Our trip is getting closer, leaving Feb 12.

We decided we will be tent camping. What are some of the fav camping spots?? I dont mean at the concrete camping KOA or whatever, I mean at the primative sites. We need water available, but we like:
    Secluded
    Senic/Vista/Views
    Close to dual sport riding
    Looking for a WOW factor.

Any suggestions??
  2. Dagwood_55

Dagwood_55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the double, how do you 'nuke' a message?? Or delete?? Or is it a mod thingy??
  3. markhas

markhas markhas

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  4. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chisos Basin in BBNP is a awesome place to camp. A store, restaurant and killer views await. Big Bend Natural Park has very nice primitive site, check them out in Lajitas area. Rio grande Village has nice camping also with the Rio grande next to you. There are no bad views or roads, trust me. I am headed there next week to shoot some photos.
  5. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The three big developed CGs in the Park are the only ones with water: Cottonwood, Chisos Basin and Rio Grande Village. Cottonwood is ho-hum, RGV is infested with RV's and javelinas; of the three, I'd only stay at the Basin. Lotta folks, no DS, but other-worldly beautiful and quite special. And a mediocre but welcome restaurant--hot coffee, good brkfst but stick to the burgers for dinner or supper.

There are dozens of primitive sites out on the unpaved roads. Some are better than others, and each is unique, and they all meet your criteria except for water. I really like some of the ones on the Old Ore Road best. Or on Black Gap Road. And Grapevine Hills. And...

You can fill your camelbaks at the faucet at the HQ at Panther Junction.

One last suggestion: fill your tanks every chance you get. Seriously.
  6. Bentley

Bentley Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Stephen has it spot on. Big Bend is the desert. If it's a primitive camping spot then it doesn't have water. Also, note that dual-sport riding in the Big Bend NP is rather schizophrenic - it's either really mild (e.g. Maverick Road) or a bit challenging for a big dually (e.g. Black Gap, River Road). Not a lot in between.

I will however disagree with Stephen - the restaurant in at the basin is pretty damn good! Well maybe it's good after 4 days of freeze dried chili mac!!

Cheers,

Ben
  7. tomski74

tomski74 Silesian American Supporter

Oddometer:
    I stayed at the Basin, Rio Grande Village and Cottonwood. If you like all the comforts of civilization I would recommend Chisos Basin. If you like some quiet time try Cottonwood. Castolon Store is a couple of minutes away, so you can resupply if you need to. The sites on the south side of the campground are a walking distance from a grassy/sandy area by the river (just behind some trees and bushes). The bank is pretty high over there so be careful :freaky:

[​IMG]
    Ground fires are prohibited in the park, but all sites have grilles at the above mentioned major campgrounds, so don't forget your charcoal.
    Hope it helps.
    In general the campgrounds along the river don't have much grass, because the got flooded last year and there's a lot of dirt still there. It didn't bug us much 'cause we spent most of the evenings on the river bank.
    If you make it to Rio Grande Village don't forget to stop at the hot springs - it helps prevent monkey butt :D
    Have a great trip!

P.S. Don't feed the Javalinas:
    [​IMG]
    And stay away from those guys:
    [​IMG]
  8. Mud Missile

Mud Missile Aventurero

Oddometer:
    I have an additional suggestion that meets your requirements, Big Bend Ranch State Park. This park is located near the town of Presidio and it is as primitive as they come. You will hardly see a living soul once you pass the rangers station. Heck, it takes about two hours on dirt road to get to the park from Hwy170. The only problem is water. If you stay by the rangers station, there are facilities you can use and even a bunk house you can crash on if weather turns ugly. For off road riding, there is nothing else but dirt. This place is so primitive that you need to bring your own poty bags or a showel so you can bury it. I am not quite sure, but it may be a possibility that you can connect via trails from BB Ranch State park to Lajitas, which is just a few minutes from the entrance to BBNP. You can go to Texas State Parks website and check it out.
  9. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    Maybe someone can clarify this. I was looking at the State Park info page on the park, and it indicated vehicles with 4 wheels only to be allowed on the backroads. Am I reading that right, or is it referring to something else? It seemed to indicate this restriction even if the motorcycle is street legal. Didn't make sense to me. I've been through the park a few years ago, but I was in a 4WD truck. I'd love to do those backroads on the KLR or KLX...both street legal.
  10. WoodButcher

WoodButcher Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are allowing street legal bikes on the backroads now. I believe they require a state offroad sticker though, but I may be wrong on that point. They've only been allowing them in for about 6 months and we need to be good citizens so they don't change the policy back.
  11. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    Interesting. How long ago did they go "4-wheel minimum"? So it's just a matter of the site info not updating? The state is really trying to get people to come out to this park, so maybe it makes some sense to allow bikes.

You know...thinking about the offroad sticker, at least in the state of Texas, I'm not sure you can require a dualsport bike to also pay this fee if it's already licensed in the state...at least if other motor vehicles are allowed without the fee. If they charge a vehicle fee or some other such revenue generating fee for all vehicles, then they could probably get by with that.

I was in Arizona back in '04 with my KLR650 and wanted to ride that "Devil's Highway" in the Cabeza Prieta NWA in southern Arizona. They have a motorcycle ban there, but they have more lattitude in vehicle restrictions being an NWA. Only automobiles are allowed. But even in Texas I guess you can find enough yahoos to try to discriminate against motorcycles in a state park and probably enough motorcyclists rowdy enough to cause some heartburn. Does anyone know of any actual problems that occured in BBRSP to cause such a ban at some time?
  12. jezecat

jezecat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I spent a week there in late Feb. '07. Check the videos here and pics for an idea of camp sites .. http://community.webshots.com/<wbr>user/jezecat
    I suggest the Basin. We trailered there set up a base camp and camped overnight elswhere a few nights. Not many folks there before spring break in March. Yea, there is a pay phone at the basin just in case.
    Showers at Rio only if I remember right at the store.

Make the night show at the McDonald Observatory and camp at the state park near there, great!

I'll go back soon, have a great trip.
  13. jezecat

jezecat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ooops ... I was there in 2008
  14. Zapp22

Zapp22 ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer:
    you gonna post those here?