Your favorite Macgyver moments\tricks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by HaChayalBoded, Sep 21, 2008.

1. mampula

mampula Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How fast was that seal going when you blew him?
    Night_Wolf and parannoyed like this.
  2. parannoyed

parannoyed When in doubt, mumble.

Oddometer:
    :hung So wrong.lol
  3. Loudo

Loudo Pithy

Oddometer:
    Blew a seal? No, man, that's just frost on my mustache.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  4. SilkMoneyLove

SilkMoneyLove Long timer

Oddometer:
    $20 is $20 :-)
    81eFp0x78fL._AC_UL320_SR166%2C320_.jpeg
  5. theothersean

theothersean dirty boy

Oddometer:
  6. X5-

X5- Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m sure this has been mentioned before but it’s the first time I have used it. I was helping a friend work on his atv winch cable that was tangled up. We started pulling parts and pieces off to get better access to the winch. After getting the cable issue straightened out we started to put stuff back on, the fairlead back on I could only get a finger on the bolt so putting the nut on was going to be a challenge. Then I had the bright idea of using a piece of tape wrapped around my finger with the sticky side out so it would hold the bolt to my finger long enough to get it in place and started. Worked like a charm and as I said earlier I’m sure you all have heard or used it before and if not it works and saved me some time! 61AB491E-DF5F-468F-867D-85B281C010C7.jpeg 00263D1C-6A9B-4D61-9C58-096E9B5DCE7F.jpeg
    DGR, Nytelyte, Richy and 5 others like this.
  7. dirty_sanchez

dirty_sanchez Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer:
    No kidding!

I use the leaf blower and leave it on idle to get charcoal going for the grill and to speed up the burn on documents that shouldn't be thrown out for the garbage truck one a year. Putting the paper in an expanded metal basket with a lid on it keeps the ashes from blowing away.
    PFFOG likes this.
  8. willfreely

willfreely Elderly Belligerent

Oddometer:
    As I installed engine guards on my KLR, it occurred to me to utilize the wealth of bubble wrap inside the giant plastic bag it all came in as a more comfortable option when kneeling or laying on the concrete floor during installation.
    IMAG1886.jpg
    Not only easy on my old carcas, but the occasional popping of bubble wrap by shifting around satisfied what we all like to do with that damn stuff anyway.
    lnewqban and SilkMoneyLove like this.
  9. GrumpyStuart

GrumpyStuart Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Back in the late 70's I had the rear sprocket come loose on my CB 175, lost all the fasteners to hold it on. I bent and broke some wire off a farm fence beside the road, and wired each spoke on the sprocket to 2 spokes on the wheel, trying to keep the sprocket as parallel as possible to the wheel. Drove it home at about 10-15 mph, not fast, but it was a lot faster than walking, and our family did not have a truck to go pick the bike up with.
    Wesley J, Wentwest, lnewqban and 6 others like this.
  10. Wesley J

Wesley J Hoser

Oddometer:
    A friend lost his countershaft nut on his Dr. Z. Oil began ejecting from the bike as the sprocket walked out enough for the countershaft seal to unseal. Turns out the lock nut on the front axle is the same size but wont push the countershaft seal in like the countersunk stock nut. Found a large box end wrench in his Suzuki tool kit (ironically for the front axle nuts...), pulled out my handy leatherman and cut the handle off of the wrench with the metal file. Luckily the wrench was made of butter so it only took 30 mins. Used the box end as a washer under the new countershaft nut, finished the 300km ride home without issue. He rode that way until the nut he ordered arrived.
    DGR, KiwiPewe, Richy and 3 others like this.
  11. brider

brider Long suffering Cub Fan NO MORE!

Oddometer:
    Now that was a Macgyver moment!
    Wesley J likes this.
  12. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    Letterman to the rescue again. I have carried one for it seems 35 years or so. Don't leave home without it.
    KiwiPewe likes this.
  13. willfreely

willfreely Elderly Belligerent

Oddometer:
    tomo8r and 42 like this.
  14. BillsR100

BillsR100 Happy Paleoflatus

Oddometer:
    I didn't believe it would really work. I was wrong.
    The battery in my "garage queen" 1999 Miata drained and would not charge back up. Totally dead battery, would not charge back up.
    So... I "revived' the battery by draining the acid out of it and refilled it with a mixture of water and Epsom Salt.
    Then put the battery on the trickle charger over night, before the battery maxed out at 7.5 volts, after using the magic elixir Epsom salt trick and charging over night it shows 12.8 volts! At this point I'm still doubtful it can put out any amps.
    So I put it back in the car and the car fired up perfectly, just like as if I put a band new battery in it! wow!:eek7:eekers
    We'll see how long it lasts? But right now it's a STRONG battery!
    I used these instructions.....
    https://garage.eastwood.com/tech-articles/restore-car-battery/
  15. tominboise

tominboise Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shouldn't it be refilled with an acid/water mixture?
  16. small_e_900

small_e_900 Amanda carried it

Oddometer:
    Nope. The acid is still there in the form of lead sulfate.
  17. BillsR100

Oddometer:
    That was something I learned while researching this Epsom Salt trick, the acid that is in new batteries is only to "activate" the battery. During activation the battery acid (sulfuric acid) etches the plates and creates lead sulfate as @small_e_900 said above. So when I added the water with epsom salt to the battery the lead sulfate is still in there on the plates. The epsom salt removes unwanted crystallized lead sulfate that has built up over time. There is a really good LONG explanation on youtube... HERE (youtube video)
    P.S. It's been two days since I did the the epsom salt trick and the battery is still fully charged and working (starting the car) like new.
    Marco Moto likes this.
  18. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    Any idea how much longer a "revived" battery will last?
  19. Black Hills

Black Hills Long timer

Oddometer:
    1190 wouldn't start yesterday, appears to need a battery. I'll give this a try.
  20. BillsR100

Oddometer:
    No idea how long it will last. I cant imagine the battery is "like new" even though it behaves like it is.
    I'm skeptical. Lots of people on the internet say their "revived" batteries have lasted years, others only a few months. I think the secret is doing the epsom salt thing before the battery gets too bad. In may case I think I may have gotten lucky and did it the first time the battery was dead, in other words my battery didn't sit dead for months.

The hardest thing to do for me was getting the 6 filler plugs out that sealed the cells, what I did was screwed a dry wall screw into them just a little bit and the dry wall screws gave me something to grab ahold of and pull the plugs out.

My battery looks like this. It's "sealed"..meaning the filler plugs are not easily removed.
    [​IMG]
    Black Hills likes this.