Your favorite Macgyver moments\tricks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by HaChayalBoded, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Rippin209

Rippin209 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wish I would have known about that slick idea when my fork seal was leaking 60 miles from home I'll definitely remember that for next time
  2. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    you can even buy and carry the official version in your tool kit for less than $10 (https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0395) ... but then you couldn't play Macgyver, could you? :-)
    Black Hills likes this.
  3. mantree

mantree Long timer

Oddometer:
    After dealing with issues caused by ethanol in fule I grabbed some fuel stableizer. Not it is a 1oz to 5 gallon mix, being that my sidecar has a 5 gallon tank that means 1oz to a tank. I started looking for 1oz bottles to carry it in for fill ups and ended up finding this.
    https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=27655
    It's like to bottles that sanitizer for brewing comes in.
  4. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
  5. baldman1

baldman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mambo if you came up with that your a fucking genius.
  6. KeithinSC

KeithinSC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Storing the camper, the plug always seemed to get corroded from one season to the next.
    I usually tucked it under the camper, out of the weather. But still needed a bit more.
    Plastic coffee can with a slot cut in the lid. Worked great for the past 6 months. Plug had no problems when I plugged into the truck.
    I might get fancy and find a rubber grommet to put on the cord, but then I would have to unwire-rewire the connector to get it over the cord.
    I could probably use a yogurt container instead.

20190507_194144_resized.jpg 20190507_194205_resized.jpg
    Lafitte and HeavyMetal like this.
  7. giarcg

giarcg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fork spring compressor...

IMG_3734.JPG IMG_3735.JPG
    knight and willfreely like this.
  8. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
  9. giarcg

giarcg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Google Buell Ulysses fork seal replacement... gotta compress the spring. Common for USD forks.
  10. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Such is not required for the USD forks on my Tiger.
  11. JimRidesThis

JimRidesThis Local celebrity

Oddometer:
    1980 something XT250...

No decompressor mechanism. No problem. UK 2 pence coin and Araldite lasted for ever :D

[​IMG]XT250-009 by lou_and_jim, on Flickr

Lost unobtainium side panel. Bend a piece of obtainium metal found in a mate’s garage.

[​IMG]XT250-007 by lou_and_jim, on Flickr
    nzrian and turbodieseli4i6 like this.
  12. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    I just discovered that accupuncture needles appear to be perfect for poking clean the finest jets in any carburetor. I know someone who does accupuncture and she happened to mention that she has to dispose of any needle used once, and also has to toss the remainder in an open package of 10. They are stainless steel, and stiff but springy, like a very fine guitar string, but with a handle. Of course they are sharp, so don't poke yourself in the eye.

You can but them on Ebay for next to nothing. 50 of them cost $1.25, direct from China. IMG_20190610_082926856.jpg IMG_20190610_082829354.jpg
    MacG, NSFW, Rickjameswr and 3 others like this.
  13. RCR001

RCR001 MOTO CHASER Supporter

Oddometer:
    This stuff has saved me many times over the years, Its casting fibreglass, comes in a roll and ready to use , as soon as u open the Package it start to harden, Fixes leaking exhaust on cars , bikes and snowmobiles...Many times.... Broken handles, and anything else needs support...I carry a roll with me on trips and will turn into a arm or leg splint in 2 minutes or hold a bike together for getting home...I worked in orthro for a while and have used this lots, wear gloves, it's sticky!

Attached Files:

Zubb, Rippin209, Baroquenride and 3 others like this.
  14. stretch160

stretch160 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oops, thought i was in a different thread :p
  15. RCR001

RCR001 MOTO CHASER Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have used this on many Exhaust systems...Hardens up to a solid patch that you would need to saw off.. fixed a dirt bike exhaust and it lasted for years..Smokes for a bit when the heat gets to it (only first time) but it works far better then any exhaust patch...Amazon sells it! Keep in mind it gets strength from being wrapped around itself 2 or 3 times.. 20 minutes and its rock hard.. fiberglass casts are water resistant and need a special cast saw to remove! I can only speak of the experience of the 3M Scotch cast plus as that's all i have ever used.... Thank me later!!
    knight likes this.
  16. mantree

mantree Long timer

Oddometer:
    This one is something I picked up from a guy at a old job. When transferring a pattern to metal use some weight or magnets to hold the template on then spray it with spray paint. 20190612_090034.jpg 20190612_090048.jpg
    Bob_M likes this.
  17. milq

milq Long timer

Oddometer:
    May already be in here and not as easy to find these days but...if you have a bolt or nut with stripped threads you can use a paper match as a shim and thread the components back together. Seen it used on some threads that I never thought would hold.
    Marco Moto likes this.
  18. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    Leatherman to the rescue again. I have carried one for it seems 35 years or so. Don't leave home without it
    Often used that trick on the large fuel line connection to some carburetors on Chevies. It was always the carbs on Chevies with the 1 inch nut that held the fuel line. They all leaked it seemed until the paper match was used to tighten it up. An extra touch was to leave the striking part of the match exposed and in place at the nut. Always seemed extremely funny to me.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  19. willfreely

willfreely Elderly Belligerent

Oddometer:
    15606911420153617813260462333942.png

I just bring tools.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  20. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    Spell check strikes again. I fixed the original which I had typed several days ago but forgot to post. Now it gets posted when I'm telling the funny story of a match head on a Chevy carb. Boy, they really know how to take all the fun out of the internet don't they?
    willfreely and datleeman like this.