A week ago I was coming back from a 4000 mile roadtrip and about 800 miles from home, I stopped in Livingston, MT for a water and stretch break and when we went to go again I felt and heard a clunk, clunk, clunk. Ah, Scheisse! Thinking a wheel bearing had gone out, I instead saw that the front brake pad was dangling. The brake pad retaining bracket was missing and had worn the bottom edge of the caliper allowing the 'stationary side' pad to now dangle freely. (I discovered today that the inner part where the moveable pad is, is also worn quite a bit as a result of the bracket missing for many miles.) Crap, now what?!? Having that overwhelming feeling so far from home, not knowing how to tackle it, and after thinking it over for several minutes, my buddy said he had some wire which is all I needed to be inspired, get my head back in the game, and dive in and wire the pad back in. I wired it up in two places then went for a ride, came back and thought I'd wire it up some more for a total of four separate pieces of baleing wire. I've also carried a roll of wire for about the last 6 years in my tool kit and used it also for this fix with the thought that at least one or two pieces of the different wires will hold the pad in place. They looked the same but neither was 'safety wire' and of unknown strength. This was all almost 800 miles from home and I was pretty proud of my 'on road' fix! About 300 miles later and some confidence I was able to tackle Lolo Pass and still have fun.