Your favorite Macgyver moments\tricks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by HaChayalBoded, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Blackshirt

Blackshirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve used a side stand to break a tire bead on someone else’s bike. It actually worked okay.

A friend’s clutch perch on his Sportster vibrated loose and the half not connected to the clutch cable was lost. I tie-wired the half-a-perch in place and tightened it down with pliers. He was able to ride home (and to the HD dealer).

I zip tie a clutch cable to the one on the bike. This makes it easy to swap cables if one breaks while on tour.

I use a mudflap on the front wheel of my bikes. It seems to prevent punctures to the rear tire (see photos).

E9F282F5-6B19-47BA-9834-0F5634F005D0.jpeg
    EC85FCA9-D981-4FFA-A586-F29E17CF3905.jpeg
    6C7675F7-E9A0-4CC5-8A98-A0F0C2B32082.jpeg
    DonM, Zubb, lnewqban and 1 other person like this.
  2. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    A week ago I was coming back from a 4000 mile roadtrip and about 800 miles from home, I stopped in Livingston, MT for a water and stretch break and when we went to go again I felt and heard a clunk, clunk, clunk. Ah, Scheisse! Thinking a wheel bearing had gone out, I instead saw that the front brake pad was dangling.
    The brake pad retaining bracket was missing and had worn the bottom edge of the caliper allowing the 'stationary side' pad to now dangle freely. (I discovered today that the inner part where the moveable pad is, is also worn quite a bit as a result of the bracket missing for many miles.)

Crap, now what?!? Having that overwhelming feeling so far from home, not knowing how to tackle it, and after thinking it over for several minutes, my buddy said he had some wire which is all I needed to be inspired, get my head back in the game, and dive in and wire the pad back in. I wired it up in two places then went for a ride, came back and thought I'd wire it up some more for a total of four separate pieces of baleing wire. I've also carried a roll of wire for about the last 6 years in my tool kit and used it also for this fix with the thought that at least one or two pieces of the different wires will hold the pad in place. They looked the same but neither was 'safety wire' and of unknown strength. This was all almost 800 miles from home and I was pretty proud of my 'on road' fix! About 300 miles later and some confidence I was able to tackle Lolo Pass and still have fun.

Attached Files:

3. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Took home a 2020 ttr230 yesterday. Does anyone know an easy way for me to remove those annoying 5 reflectors that are on the bike? Thanks!
  4. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  5. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Already got one quite similar to that one. Although barrel on mine bout 3 inches less!!!!
  6. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    My dad taught me early in life, always carry some bailing wire. And I do.
    Baroquenride likes this.
  7. 12bridn

12bridn I need throttle therapy

Oddometer:
    Just remembered I had a flat out near the Mississippi. I had a spare tube and the group had canned air to fix but no way of propping up the bike. Nothing around to lean it on or anything like that. Took my gloves and helmet off, set the gloves on the helmet and voila! Impromptu center stand.
  8. Blackshirt

Blackshirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Remove stick-on reflectors with a heat gun and some dental floss. Clean up the residual glue with Goof-Off.
    Wentwest and lnewqban like this.
  9. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Goof Off fucks with some plastics. Try WD40 first.
    Black Hills likes this.
  10. waylongway

waylongway madmax Supporter

Oddometer:
    I find this takes lots of STUFF OFF w/ no ill effects.....:-)

[​IMG]
  11. Bob_M

Bob_M Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Richarde1605 and lnewqban like this.
  12. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    Somebody just liked this post, which I'd forgotten about. I retired on the last day of that year ('14), shaved my beard of 32 years for the last day of work and have not grown it out again since. Interesting.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  13. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Throttle Lock:
    First I search for something I could make.
    I found this on YT:

Yeah, I can make this......but I don't want to go to the store.
    I got the plastic from the side of an old garbage can.
    Cut 2 washers. Then I made the 2 black washers as follows.
    One side to go against the switch housing and one against the grip.
    1 1/8" hole and put the grip on the plastic to cut the outside.
    I cut a small indent into the piece next to the switch housing.
    I cut the one next to the grip with a handle. I then put a screw from an electric switch at 90 degrees from the small handle (lever). The two on the left. One side of the indent on the left washer will be slanted and the other side of the indent is flat cut. This just depends on which way you want the slide to work, up or down. I cut on on each side, opposite ends to try both way.
    20191014_191810.jpg
    Here are the parts on a pvc joint for better view
    20191014_191708.jpg
    You can see the ramp on the left side of the indent and the head of the screw will drop into the indent when not used. Then I mounted it and it seemed to work good. On the road trial, the washer with the screw would stick against the throttle grip and didn't work as intended.
    That's why I returned and made the white washer out of a thin piece of cutting mat. That works as a slick interface between the washer with the screw and the throttle grip.
    Slid them onto the throttle tube and went for another test. Works perfect.
    I used velcro to stick the inside washer to the switch housing so it wouldn't turn.
    If I ever redo it, I'll use double sided sticky tape. But after I got this final design, I cut another one that looked a little better for permanent mounting.
    20191014_191619.jpg Once the grip is remounted against the DIY lock, it is very light action. On the washer with the lever is rotated with the thumb, there is just enough pressure against the grip to lock it into position with friction.
    Pushing the lever back to the position so the screw head is in the indent will unlock it.
    The friction is very light, so a normal touch is all that is needed to control the throttle just like normal.
    I kept the palm control on the end of the Kury grips also.
    Total cost was maybe 2cents of electricity to run my dremel tool to cut the parts from stuff that would usually go to the trash bin.
    lnewqban, tanukkki and Baroquenride like this.
  14. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    Yes, but you probably used up maybe 3 hours (maybe more) of labor designing, creating, re-doing. So if you value your labor at $10/hour (for such inventiveness) that's $30 when you could have purchased something similar for less than a third of that and rode your cycle for 3 hours. It's the same question I have reading all the Instructibles I get in my email - is this really important enough to you to spend your time on?
  15. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    I was already killing time pidding in the garage. So I turned idle time into something I wanted. I recycled. And I didn't settle for a product I didn't want.
    Wentwest, Rippin209, 42 and 2 others like this.
  16. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    ^ As I said, labor of love. No need to talk about $ saved.
  17. zipweee

zipweee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Macgyver's not talked about step brother
    20190921_130346.jpg
  18. tntmo

tntmo Oops, I did it again.

Oddometer:
    My buddy wanted a hand changing his tire before a ride tomorrow. Well, he didn’t have the large Allen wrench for removing the front axle. Problem solved!

Attached Files:

19. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good use of the bottom bracket spanner
    tntmo likes this.