1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Your favorite Macgyver moments\tricks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by HaChayalBoded, Sep 21, 2008.

1. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    you should give us some video of it working
  2. theothersean

theothersean dirty boy

Oddometer:
    i'll have to remember that for next year . rows are done . planting has started for this year .
    this guy has something similar
  3. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks, that makes sense
  4. theothersean

theothersean dirty boy

Oddometer:
    8A555699-0B85-4A62-9267-09380C6F017E.jpeg 847B2EB3-CB47-4A06-9D18-F227617E126B.jpeg 11598E57-8E0A-4BDD-80A3-EB7649FEC360.jpeg 53702CA6-B4FB-446C-95C4-B3B5A7B23D7C.jpeg For those with bad backs. Or don’t like bending / squatting down to sow seeds.
    Attach a scrap piece of angle to the end of a scrap piece of conduit. Drag it through the soil, then stand it vertically in the trough and drop a seed in the end of the pipe. Use the back of an iron rake to push the dirt back over.
    spencermarkd likes this.
  5. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mr Fancypants over here, won't stoop to the level of just scraping the dirt aside with your boot, dropping the seed, and covering it back up with said boot
  6. theothersean

theothersean dirty boy

Oddometer:
    the wife is pretty particular about getting the spacing accurate :)
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  7. husqvarna

husqvarna Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What a great memory; from a generation of individuals who HAD to "make a plan". Wells in sandy soil can often be jetted in with good water pressure but the car pile driver does the business, obviously.

The double wheel idea has been adopted for a more nefarious purpose down here in the south of africa, somewhere that prides itself on stealing anything not welded to the earth's crust, and that will be tried. A favourite sport is stealing overhead electric cables. One variation after the cable is broken (often by taking a chainsaw to the wooden poles) is to have a 8t truck or similar with an extra rim welded outboard at the back. The cable is looped over the rim when the truck is jacked up, the vehicle put into first gear and cable reeled in until something snaps somewhere. The booty is then loaded to be stripped and the copper "exported" or, if aluminium / copper mix (to discourage theft), melted into pots. Good times.
  8. small_e_900

small_e_900 Amanda carried it

Oddometer:
    The guys that I worked construction with were a pretty resourceful lot.

There was a salvage job that I wasn't part of, although, the statute of limitations on most, if not all the crimes, has long since expired.
    It seems that there might have been a question about the permission to salvage.

The old Atlantic Swim Club in Asbury Park was being torn down to build condos.

The salvage part was removing anything that wasn't nailed down, and the stuff that was nailed down, before the wrecking ball got there..
    This meant removing, among other things, every other rafter as they were 22 foot long , full dimension 4 X 12's and every other 4 X 12 floor joist, all #1 Doug Fir.
    The lockers were all wide cypress boards. They were un-nailed and carried away.

One day, Vince noticed the big, copper service entrance cables coming into the building from an underground conduit.
    He wrapped a chain around a column, attached a come-a-long to it, grabbed the copper cables on the other end and commenced to ratchetting.

He was tugging on the cables for quite a while and it was getting harder and harder to ratchet the come-along. About that time, Vince's dad showed up and said to the other guys, "Hey. Look at that telephone pole out there. It's all bent." It was at that time that the cables that Vince was tugging on in the basement, snapped. Everyone top-side watched the telephone pole SPROING back and forth at about a million miles per hour.

Vince got himself a truck load of copper, the demolition guys got a building that could have been knocked over with a strong fart, and we got a huge pile of clear Doug Fir that we used on jobs for another five years.
  9. MattLikeyBikey

MattLikeyBikey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Save your Chipotle bowl tins - those things are outstanding for small volume oil changes (final drives, etc) and other stuff.
  10. Black Hills

Black Hills Long timer

Oddometer:
    Salvage is crazy. Years ago we hooked up a commercial building. The electrician has to pull their wire to the transformer and then we terminate. There were 36 runs of 1,000mcm copper and it was all about 3’ too long. Not wanting to ”steal their wire” we stacked the scrap up next to the transformer and left. The next day the owner called and was Pissed that we “didn’t clean up” so in went and picked it all up to make him happy. $126 at the salvage yard, the line crew drank good that night.
    Baroquenride likes this.
  11. theothersean

theothersean dirty boy

Oddometer:
    i used to work for a scale repair company . We worked on truck scales , type you drive over at the scrap yard . we had to close one down while we replaced all the wiring underneath that get chewed up by rats . As we were finishing up and getting ready to leave, the line of "scrappers" waiting to get on the scale were fighting over the pile of wire we were tossing out . The guy working there said " those scrappers will steel you mother if you leave her laying around "
    WrenchMonkey likes this.
  12. WrenchMonkey

WrenchMonkey Two wheel slave

Oddometer:
    “those scrappers will steel you mother if you leave her laying around”

Is that pun intentional?
  13. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    Recently I needed a wheel magnet for my speedometer on my Husqvarna wheels. KTM/others wanted ~$20. I accidentally discovered that the magnet on the back of the blue Harbor Freight flashlight they give away is a lot smaller/thinner than you'd think and worked perfectly once glued in with weatherstrip adhesive that I had around.
  14. Mjpickering

Mjpickering Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Needed a quick base for my vice today while fixing my brothers mower. Scrap brake drum from a Semi, some lag screws, and a random piece of wood later...

IMG_20200513_153140238.jpg
    lnewqban likes this.
  15. gmk999

gmk999 ____ as a Rotax

Oddometer:
    My youngest is a total mad scientist.. a month ago we were helping my oldest build a model of a home that he designed (architect) and we needed to cut some slate for the roof. I called around to borrow a cutter but couldn't get one that day. Matt asked what a slate cutter was so I showed him a picture from the web. He says, I can make that...and an hour later we had this.. 20200315_143319.jpg made from an old hockey skate. .. the best part. He drilled a hole for the pivot and just left the drill bit in.
    Mini-Guiver.
    z_rider, R-A-M-O-N, Square1 and 14 others like this.
  16. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Drill bit pivot... that's clever.
    Motoriley and gmk999 like this.
  17. Scooter22

Scooter22 Gratuitous Advisor

Oddometer:
    Yes, the force is strong in that one!
    z_rider and gmk999 like this.
  18. tag3

tag3 Doofus

Oddometer:
    Inland from the coast of Santa Cruz and Trona.
    Would only run with starter switch depressed. Disconnect lead from solenoid to starter and bump start. 11115.jpeg
  19. MiamiMotorcyclist

MiamiMotorcyclist used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer:
    The tactical pebble is a nice touch.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  20. tag3

tag3 Doofus

Oddometer:
    Inland from the coast of Santa Cruz and Trona.
    Saving up for Christmas.