1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Your favorite Macgyver moments\tricks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by HaChayalBoded, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    That is true genius.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  2. Gone in 60

Gone in 60 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cleaning out more junk from the In-Laws' property. I agreed to limp an old Chevy to the scrap yard (nothing of collectible value) - the car would no longer pass smog, and was eligible to be "retired" to the scrapper for $1k if it could be driven there under its own power. Got it to start and drive. Had to use my shoelaces to tie up the exhaust for the last few miles, but she made it to her final resting place.
  3. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hereafter known as a ‘tart’.
    MiamiMotorcyclist likes this.
  4. pennswoodsed

pennswoodsed lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer:
    Did you get shoelaces back ? Changes the value of the project.
  5. Gone in 60

Oddometer:
    Ha! Funny thing about the shoelaces... Per the rules listed on the website to retire a car in California, it has to arrive at a junkyard running under its own power, and it must have a list of functioning things on it. "Exhaust system" was one of the listed items the vehicle is required to have. So, I decided that I'd just leave the shoelaces on the car and flip-flop away from it with a grand in my pocket, and buy some new laces on the way home.
    Wentwest and RolyKBiker like this.
  6. Gone in 60

Oddometer:
    Proppa! I currently have a zip tie and a 1/4" nut holding down a pin switch on my forklift to disable a switch that won't let me turn it at upper extension. But if I can't turn it, I can't clear a sprinkler pipe near the ceiling.
  7. willfreely

willfreely Elderly Belligerent

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to your contribution in the "F-OSHA" picture thread.
    Mickalmus and small_e_900 like this.
  8. Gone in 60

Oddometer:
    I already posted this one in the OSHA section, when it got stuck toward the top, and I had to climb down on a ladder. In this case, I had bumped a power cut-off switch that I didn't know it had.

If you look at where the top of the cage is in this picture, it's just below a sprinkler pipe. This is sort of a MacGuyver situation here. The pallet is in position to jump over the wall it is up against to access some storage space we made over our ceiling. You have to do some maneuvering to get past that sprinkler to get high enough for the pallet to clear our alarm box. By design, it's only supposed to go straight back and forth at that height.

Before the forklift repair man showed up, I cut the zip tie to remove evidence of my tampering, in case he noticed. Put it back once he was gone.

IMG_0528.jpg
  9. theothersean

theothersean dirty boy

Oddometer:
    In true Mac guyver fashion. I replaced my shoelaces with 550 cord. You can strip out the seven inner layers for cordage and still use the outer sheath as shoe laces.
  10. KeithinSC

KeithinSC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not really clever, but a tip that has helped me a bunch.
    Any time you finish off a can of spray paint, brake cleaner or any spray, save the nozzle.
    Next time you grab a can that is missing the nozzle or it is clogged, you might have one that fits.
    Save the straws too!

20200625_194104_resized.jpg
    Jman45, DonM, RolyKBiker and 6 others like this.
  11. Mumbles24

Mumbles24 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Last weekend in Fields, OR I was refueling and then my key wouldn't go into the ignition. No way i had rode about a thousand miles to be stuck like that. M.F. Bill Woods MacGyver'd that shit with a paperclip! Realigned the ignition pawls and after a bit i was running again. "Don't take the key out of the ignition" was his only other advice. Storm was there with a full tool kit, sassy mouth and put on her "work shirt" to cover up her 90° hot-hot outfit.
    Baroquenride likes this.
  12. theothersean

theothersean dirty boy

Oddometer:
    056CC0F7-66F0-4DFD-AB73-45C8B5250ECE.jpeg 3E9FA6C8-E6DE-41CF-B4DA-47FF9F955A1C.jpeg Needed to pull stakes out of the ground , and didn’t feel like dealing with people at the store to go buy one. Couple scrap pieces of 2x4, Half a ratchet strap I kept around when the turn buckle was scrapped. Piece of an inner tube for grip. No clue where I got the bolt on ring piece, had it in a junk bucket.
    No more breaking the stakes off at the ground level trying to rock them back and forth. Not to mention much easier on the back and shoulders.
    flei, 2000RSV, Ladybug and 4 others like this.
  13. CrustyAPO

CrustyAPO Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been doing that for years. After dropping them and they roll into the floor drain or to wherever 10mm sockets go to die, I finally got smart.
    16VGTIDave likes this.
  14. MiamiMotorcyclist

MiamiMotorcyclist used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer:
    Large 48” wide hollow core door at the office had the screws ripped out of bottom hinge. No door available at the moment.

In a flash of inspiration/Hail Mary moment I put drywall anchors into the mounting holes. Worked surprisingly well. Door is working well and might even last for a while.
    Shocked.
    z_rider and Wentwest like this.
  15. goD giB

goD giB Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you really want to MacGyver it. Cut or tear strips of paper as wide as the screw penetrates the door. Roll up until approximately as round as the aforementioned damaged hole.
    Press in.
    You don't want it to tightly packed.
    In hardwood you might want to add a little PVA or flour and water.

Same effective fix... But without using a commercial product for its intended purpose.
    Mickalmus and MiamiMotorcyclist like this.
  16. MiamiMotorcyclist

MiamiMotorcyclist used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer:
    Interesting. Not sure paper would have worked here. The door was hollow beyond just a bit of inner doorframe. It’s in rough shape in general.
    I was just surprised it worked, wasn’t much for them to grab. And never thought of using the anchors anywhere besides dry wall before today. Pleasantly surprised.
    Wentwest and goD giB like this.
  17. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    I imagine you could use molly bolts or toggle screws if the hole was really big. Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose.
    goD giB and MiamiMotorcyclist like this.
  18. willfreely

willfreely Elderly Belligerent

Oddometer:
    ...nothing left too loose.
    Ratski, small_e_900, DonM and 4 others like this.
  19. jfauerba

jfauerba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Done the same thing in the past and also used toothpicks with glue too.
    GotDammitDave and 42 like this.
  20. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another choice besides toothpicks is golf tees. An old time handyman turned me on to that. Good idea, but I don't golf. No tees around the house. Toothpicks I have.
    Wentwest likes this.