Your favorite paved roads in Utah and New Mexico

Discussion in 'Americas' started by oldtouring B, Feb 26, 2012.

1. oldtouring B

oldtouring B Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    We are heading west from Florida in Spring for CO, UT and NM. We have CO mapped out but need help in UT and NM. If you could list your " not to be missed" paved roads in these 2 states it would help a great deal. Many thanks
  2. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hwy. 64 in Northern NM
    Hwy. 12 in Utah
    Hwy. 191 in Utah
    Almost any road in Southern Utah
    Almost any Road in Northern NM
    Any road around Moab Utah
    Trust me on these...
  3. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    152 from I-25 towards Silver City, or go the other way. NM
    It really gets tight so don't check out the view.
  4. oldtouring B

oldtouring B Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Foto and Wolf-- thanks for the info. I will add them to the plan.
  5. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Regarding Utah, I hope you are visiting all 5 national parks: Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Arches & Canyonlands. Now throw on that list Monument Valley, Cedar Breaks. All this is located east of 15 & south of 70, and can be covered in a small amount of time(if needed).

As FotoTEX already mentioned, Hwy 12 from Bryce up to Torrey is just one of those 'must do' rides inho. Out of Boulder you can ride about 30 paved miles of the Burr Trail which is just fantastic.

You mentioned you will be traveling in spring. You could hit just about any kind of weather that time of year. A place like Cedar Breaks will not be accessible. Bryce Canyon sits at 7000' so pack accordingly.

Sounds like you've got quite a road trip planned, good luck & watch the LEO's.
  6. Sleddog

Sleddog Ridin, again:)

Oddometer:
    North of Mexican Hat is hiway 261 ride it up to hiway 95. It will take you up & over the Moki Dugway! (the switchbacks are paved):clap:clap

All the roads mentioned by others are right on too! If ya ever get the chance to ride 191 in Arizona, (it's all paved) don't pass it up either!

[​IMG]
  7. ricard

ricard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    oldtouring B, I'm curious to hear what your Colorado road picks are. I'll be headed through there on my old R100R in July.
  8. David13

David13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For Colorado, get the Butler Motorcycle map, sold on this forum.
    In Utah I like 12, and Moki Dugway is fun on the way there. Also don't neglect Hite Overlook, Burr Trail.
    14 is closed 8 miles east of Cedar City.
    If Butler has a Utah and New Mexico map, I will recommend it sight unseen. They have real good maps.
    dc
  9. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Are all these roads recommend paved or capable for a sport touring bike? Would mid/late April provide safe weather or are there still risks at higher elevation?
  10. thetourist

thetourist Just passing thru

Oddometer:
    Some nice connection roads I've found.

From Shiprock...Red Valley - Lukachucai - Chinle...Nice tight curvy mountain road.

From I-70 to Moab...Cisco - Moab...Follows Colorado River at the bottom of a red rock canyon. the River is still small and this is a narrow personal canyon.

Mokey Dugway...on north edge of Valley of the Gods, near Mexican Hat...gravel with paved corners. Even if you don't ride over it, ride up to it. It just disappears into the canyon wall.

These two may be getting away from your route, but just in case.

Cedar City to Minersville to Baker NV, next to Great Basin Park. Scenic desert mountains.

Oasis NV to Snowville UT...skirts the north side of the salt flats