Your Favorite Twisty Paved Roads

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by 00Buck, Jul 8, 2015.

1. rwhittak3

rwhittak3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    141 between Gateway, CO and Naturita, CO is pretty awesome if you're looking for paved twisties.
  2. Sugra

Sugra Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you get as far down as southern New Mexico, the 152 between Kingston and San Lorenzo is good.

[​IMG]
  3. Boricua

Boricua Long timer

Oddometer:

+1
  4. abruzzi

abruzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't know the number, but I really liked Poudre Canyon, west of Fort Collins. 141 through Gateway, is in my top 10. In Utah, not as twisty, but I love 95 from a Blanding to Hanksville. Another vote for the road from Gunnison to Lake City to South Fork. 550 is twisty and dramatic, but slow car traffic. Ride it once for the views, then find other ways around.
  5. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    Or, just ride it on weekday mornings when the weather is the best and you can have it to yourself. :ricky
    darmahman likes this.
  6. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf High functioning sociopath

Oddometer:
    Mt. Evans is closed for the time being.
  7. dsauer

dsauer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You need a Butler map! :D UT 31 is awesome, UT 24 to 95 to 276 over the Grand Staircase is not to be missed, it's a very cool loop. CO 149, as mentioned is a great road, 550 is very scenic, that can loop over to 62 and 145, although the ride from Durango to Dolores is boring desert. 141 is a favorite - Gateway and the Dolores River is phenomenal, be sure to stop and check out the hanging flume, also mentioned previously.
  8. Veteran Noob

Veteran Noob Astoundingly Unremarkable

Oddometer:
    This seems like the logical place for this. Anybody use Twistyride lately and have problems using route planner? I'm getting no access to map and the planner will not recognize ANY location I enter for routing. I sent an email to their contact address but have not yet had a reply.
    darmahman likes this.
  9. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    BLUF: You want good twisty paved roads to ride for days on end go, look beyond the Rockies to California from the Central Coast to the NW corner and Appalachia (NW GA, E TN, W NC, N AL).

I haven't a clue what Twisty Ride is (the website is for cellphone cases/holder/chargers); but the AMA has a decent database for members:
    https://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/For-Members/AMA-Great-Roads-Database

For California this site is great:
    https://www.pashnit.com/ca-roads

One of the best rides in the U.S. that I've done is California's "Lost Coast":
    https://www.pashnit.com/ca-mattole-rd-the-lost-coast
    The road from Redway to Shelter Cove is just as good as Matole and has a the shortest light house you've ever been in at the end.

Carmel Valley Road is another ride that is an epic ride It connects Carmel to US101 which you can hop on for a minute then hit the Nac back to US-1 that is one Gnarly set of twisties decending out of the mountains and down to the sea.The Nac makes the "Dragon" on US-129 NC/TN look like childs play https://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/usa/4308-nacimiento-fergusson-road.html

I've done half this list (7) and they are definitely well deserved of being on it:
    https://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/usa/3059-americas-15-best-motorcycling-roads.html

CA 36 is one I haven't done yet but it's on the bucket list, the thing about CA is you can probably spend years riding there and not hit all the good twisty roads. I spent 13 months of riding as much as I could and I felt like I barely scratched the surface of that place. Whereas here in Colorado you could hit all the great paved routes in probably a week if you really wanted to, but to me this place is all about the dirt.

The problem with many of roads on this list of great CO paved roads is there's waaaay too much traffic on them AND a many of them have a pretty heavy LEO presence. Yeah you can get up at 0 Dark 30 and avoid some of the traffic, but there's no way around it you're going to have to do a fair amount of passing rental cars, RVs and Tahoes from Texas. My daily commute is on the list "36 From Lyons; To Estes Park Paved" :D Oh, and if you're coming from out of state be prepared for 100*F to Freezing temperatures within a day of riding and lots of sun and rain especially if you plan on doing rides like Mt. Evans, Trail Ridge and Pike's Peak.
    Honarable Mentions (and some of my personal favorites):
    War Woman Rd GA
    SR 60 GA
    Los Altos to Pescadero via Page Mill and Alpine Rd
    Saratoga CA to Alice's via 9 and Skyline
    NY/VT Border from MA to Lake Champlain
    Some of my favorites overseas:
    Neckar River from Heidelberg to Neckarsulm Germany
    Waldshut-Tiegen to Baden Baden Germany via 500 (and any of the twisties off of 500!)
    Little St. Bernard Pass France (this region of France has some of the best riding I've ever experienced with nice roads, and not traffic)
    Stelvio_Pass Italy seemingly endless switch backs, but very popular (bikes, cars & cyclists) so you won't be breaking any speed records on this road. Pretty much the whole Tyrolian area has epic riding.
    Dorrigo to Karangi NSW Aus waterfalls and rainforests and not another car on the road just watch out for roos
    Walcha to Port Macquarie NSW Aus Oxley Hwy aka "The Ox" Australian equivalent to US-129/Deal Gap Dragon, just no cars, trucks or other bikes on the road!
    Mt Road from Nahan to McLeod Ganj India
  10. mjskier

mjskier Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. Podzo's PD

Podzo's PD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great choices, seems like most should be done on weekdays and early morning if possible.
    Wet Mountains are still undiscovered. . . State 165 or so called the Greenhorn Hwy.
    Spanish Peaks/Sangre de Cristo's State 12 Highway of Legends
    RustySpokes likes this.
  12. Sir Denis Eton-Hogg

Sir Denis Eton-Hogg Tap into America Supporter

Oddometer:
    Stove Prairie road from Masonville to Poudre canyon then West up poudre valley to Walden
    Nailhead and Blakebird like this.
  13. Skunk-Works

Skunk-Works Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I second this!
    Rode this for the first time a year ago..............It's a great ride! I even included Rist Canyon Rd in my loop.

My favorite in the state still is Hwy-92 from the Dam till you pop out of the Canyon to the North.

Another favorite is the first 20-miles or so of Hwy-114 heading south from US-50 just east of Gunnison............It is a Ripper!

141 through Gateway is also awesome! Especially south of Gateway...............
    darmahman likes this.
  14. darmahman

darmahman "Illogically Deluded" Supporter

Oddometer:
    My favorite ride (“goat trail") from both the “technical” side and “panoramic “side is Santa Rosa Creek road just north of Morro Bay off Highway 1. 20 some miles of the gnarliest, twisty, elevated dangerous curves (dozens of blind curves ( one lane) in the USA. Views of the Pacific Ocean from high above with the road surface being rough, bumpy, long ago paved and showing it. It is a road for something like a DR 650 or KTM 690 for the fastest way around but can easily be done on a big GS, just not as quickly. A few cars. I usually see just 2 or 3 on the whole ride coming the other way, maybe have to pass one going my way.

Per the earlier post-forget about Stove Prairie, Rist Canyon, or Highway 14 along the Poudre.
    VERY BORING- :lol3TONS of cops, cars and slow moving semis and speed traps.
    Lots of accidents, people swerving into opposite lanes.
    Let me take those risks. I would hate to see people get big tickets riding up here. Best to stay away. :beer I only write these things to help my fellow ADV rider. :hmmmmm
    Rogue_Ryder and RustySpokes like this.
  15. MountainsandRivers

MountainsandRivers loves dirty things!

Oddometer:
    I also agree with the Stove Prairie and Poudre canyon options. If you are on the front range and go early morning, Hwy 34 from Loveland towards Estes can be a lot of fun. Take a right in Drake on 43 and run up to Estes that way, then return down 34. The section in the Narrows is worth doing twice.
    I haven't been on it since the recent big flood, but it is my understanding it is open again.
  16. darmahman

darmahman "Illogically Deluded" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Problem is most of the good curves have been “corrected and opened up”. Not near as much fun as b/4 the flood. Honest!
  17. MountainsandRivers

MountainsandRivers loves dirty things!

Oddometer:
    I have heard. I know they can't straighten the canyon, but I'm sure it has lost some of its character. Growing up in Loveland, I drove that road a lot for mtn biking, worked in Estes some, relatives have a cabin in Glen Haven. I knew every turn so well. Shortly before the flood I met up with a good buddy who keeps an AC Cobra replica in town and we took turns at sunrise with no traffic through the Narrows, then Estes, down to Evans, back to Estes, down through Glen Haven back down 34, all in a few hours. Yes, it was pure hooliganism and not recommended and I'm an asshole driver, etc. but the memories of that morning keep me smiling!
    darmahman likes this.
  18. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    I've been on that road twice this year :D an old favorite.
    I usually hit it by coming up from Cayucos on Old Creek Rd.

Santa Rosa Creek Rd

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Old Creek Rd

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grew up in Monterey, so years of trekking back for races at Laguna Seca has seen a few bikes hit Carmel Valley Rd.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have been on hwy 58 from Buttonwillow/McKittrick to 101 three times this year - one of my favorite stretches of road anywhere.

[​IMG]

the new pavement is nice on Stove Prairie, but they took out a couple of attention-getting curves that is almost unforgiveable :nod
    Rogue_Ryder and darmahman like this.
  19. Veteran Noob

Veteran Noob Astoundingly Unremarkable

Oddometer:
    Twisty Ride has (had?) a nice routing tool. I liked to use it when traveling for work. No details on the algorithim used, but you just put in starting point and destination, and it comes back with the, uh, most unstraight route (within reason; it's not going to try and route you from Lincoln to Omaha via Deals Gap and, obviously). It is (was?) a great tool, especially when your destination isn't optional.

http://www.twistyride.com/Motorcycle-Journey-Planner.html

I could then go to a sight like http://www.motorcycleroads.com/motorcycle-roads or https://www.bestbikingroads.com/ to see if there are any recommended roads near my base route through which a detour would be worthwhile. BTW, I haven't checked through all the recommendations here to see if they're already highlighted, but, if you know of great, good, or maybe even just OK, routes, you might want to check one, or both of those sites, and add the route if it's not already listed (and add comments or recommendations if it is). Note that some of those just kind of OK routes might be the perfect tonic to break up a slog through an otherwise mind numbing portion of a trip.
  20. siyeh

siyeh unproductive Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Son and I spent two weeks in your great state last summer on street bikes. We went everywhere. This little road ^^^was great great fun and the day we rode it there wasn’t any law around which was good,,,