Your favourite "hang out" and "R+R" spots in Central and South America

Discussion in 'Americas' started by jfman, Dec 11, 2015.

1. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    Hello fellow inmates who have already traveled thru CA and SA.

I am planning a very long trip thru South America (and possibly Central America) and I am in need of your advice based on experience.

In the little traveling that I have done, I have never really had the luxury to be able to stop in one spot for a long time to rest or to soak up the experience of an area. Once I have spent 2 days in an area, I have to head out for the following segment of the ride because I have to get back to work.

I will not do this on my long trip. I would like to sometimes stop and stay in an area for a week or more to unwind. I cannot ride all day, everyday for many many months. My fuel budget and my energy levels wont allow it.

I know some of these stops will be spontaneous or mandatory (snafus happen) I am curirous to know if there are hang out spots where I should make an effort to plan some down time in. My criterion are: Cheap, not too touristy, access to decent food. I would also prefer remote locations over cities but am not discarting all cities. I would also like areas where there are many many roads or trails closeby to explore... basecamps.

If you had many many months to travel thru CA and SA, which spots would you plan on staying in for prolonged periods? Why?

Thank you,

JFMAN
    pranajerni likes this.
  2. Mtl_Biker

Mtl_Biker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Salut JF!

Do you know (of) Reaver? He's previously from Ontario but has moved to Costa Rica (I believe) and his trip reports of the journey were terrific. He's got two of them actually... because after he did the first one, he flew back in order to bring down a second bike. Do a search for threads by him and I'm sure you'll get a lot of tips. He's also a heck of a nice (and very helpful) guy. Tell him I sent you!

If you can't find anything let me know and I'll look it up.

Very best regards!

Eldor
    jfman likes this.
  3. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    We really liked Cajamarca and Puno in Peru. Spent Christmas in Cajamarca and New Year in Puno. Weather was great. Atmosphere festive and the surrounding area very interesting. Good mix of Colonial and Aboriginal. The ride to both was epic too! For contemplation and stark beauty Chaiten in Chile was eery. The whole town devastated by the Volcano. Getting there was exciting too. Leaving going south is one of the most interesting roads EVER.
    Parcero and jfman like this.
  4. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    Getting closer to leaving :)
  5. knight

knight Long timer

Oddometer:
    Panajachel, Guatemala ...Spanish lessons and the market in Chichicastenago

Playa Las Lajas , Panama ... beach and beers

Canoa , Ecuador ... bacon and beers

Montanita, Ecuador...blondes and beers

Huanchaco , Peru ... cheeseburgers and beers

Pucon , Chile ...lake di$trict and wine
  6. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    If you get to North America (Mexico) a stop in San Cristobal de las Casas in Chiapas, Mexico's southernmost state. Great little city with great vibe, and paved and unpaved roads all over beautiful Chiapas to explore.
  7. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    El Tunco, El Salvador. Many choices of places to stay inexpensive. GREAT food. Close to town and pier on bus. I'd go again in a minute!