Your feedback on my week long trip plan

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by JonnyFiveAlive, Aug 30, 2013.

1. JonnyFiveAlive

JonnyFiveAlive Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all. I won a spot on the Denali road lottery and I've been researching what to do with my time. I'm hoping you guys can help me get it figured out.

I'm interested to hear if any of you will be on the Denali road during the lottery period. I got in on Saturday. Would like to meet up if anyone's going.

Map of the trip

Must do's:
    • Denali Park Road
    • Denali Hwy
    • Glacier Cruise from Seward

Concerns:
    • I think this is a lot of time for the area I've covered in the map. It feels like I'll have an empty day. Thoughts on that - anything I'm missing you would include or does this timeline seem about right? Arctic Circle sign seems out of reach, Fairbanks sounds not worth the trip.
    • Renting a motorcycle is expensive. Trying to see if anyone that's selling a bike on CL will let me rent theirs from them for 60 or so a day. No luck so far. It's a longshot, I know. Saving money here would be big.
    • I'm interested in camping. Camp area suggestions are welcome. I'm especially interested in the cost savings camping would bring, since bike rental is expensive. Secondly, if hostel or cheaper lodge accommodations are the way to go - tell me so. I'm not set on camping. I do want to treat myself to a hot tub under the stars at some point though haha

Itinerary:
    • Thursday: arrive late, sleep in ANC
    • Fri: ride up toward Denali stopping at Talkeetna. Stay at a motel near the park entrance or camp.
    • Sat: Ride into Denali, try to make it to wonder lake and back.
    • Sun: Take Denali Hwy to rt 4 and then back to ANC. Stay somewhere on the Denali Hwy.
    • Mon: Long ride from Denali Hwy to Homer.
    • Tues: Kenai
    • Wed: Kenai (seems like too much time on Kenai to me)
    • Thur: All day Glacier cruise from Seward
    • Fri: Head back to ANC, all day in ANC, then leave ANC late night

I only have a few POI's on the map - feel free to tell me what not to miss along the route.

Thanks a million for your feedback!
  2. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    Planned trip/ rides are the most ....& planned to fail or change..

I saw just get a rough idea of what u want to do, be ready/prepare. And have fun as you go !!

Wing it !
  3. Full Power

Full Power Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your SUNDAY itinerary looks confused.
    An alternate route would take you NORTH on exit from Denali Park, through Cantwell, Healy, Nenana, roll through Fairbanks, thence south Delta Junction, Glenallen, ( Maybe Valdez if you are a LD rider ) then a quick transit through Anchorage, and on down to Homer.
    Free camping space for you here.
    Seward is only 3 hours from here, so making your boat ride shouldn't be too difficult.

Nothing much to look at in Kenai, unless you need to shop HomeDepot, so I wouldn't spend 3 DAYS on the Kenai leg.
    . If any of this is confusing, or you want to pitch tent in Homer, ( You can see four glaciers from my backyard ) PM for my shop phone.
    Do it soon, I am out for the weekend.
  4. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    maybe Denali highway to the Kennicott mine, possibly camping on the Copper River just outside Chitna (good free spot on the south side of the river right after the bridge)... then to Anch
  5. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cantwell & the Denali Hwy. is South of the Denali Park entrance/exit.
  6. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is North...... if you go far enough.
  7. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, over the Pole. Don't think he wants to go that far. :norton
  8. Full Power

Full Power Long timer

Oddometer:
    OOPS.. okay thanks.
    So, back to the OP... Did you rent a bike yet ?
    where are you, and which direction are you moving in the morning ?
    I am in Eagle River now, and rolling North around 0900 or so. no set destination, 72 hours to play.