Your most scenic ride ever in america?

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Sandslinger, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Sandslinger

Sandslinger Luv-Husqvarna

Oddometer:
    If you could go back and redo, your all time favorite ride ever, and stay in that spot, for a week. Where would it be? Also if money were no object , where would you retire to? Let me grab the popcorn, this should be good.
  2. traindriver

traindriver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Every time I ride from my home town of Carl junction MO. To Alaska. I return. And start planning my next trip to return their. I've went other places East coast, west coast, Yellow stone, Grand canyon, Glacier national park' Smokey mountains , Rocky mountains. But the trip to Alaska has it all. Weather you take the Alaskan hyway or the cassier or go threw Banff to jasper and up that way the trip is an adventure and has it all. I like riding to the penisula Denali the Glenallen hy way. The scienery can't be beaten or at least I don't know where to go to find better. The people you meet along the way are great. The camping is good. As far as retirement goes prabably in a cabin close to a trout stream somwhere.
  3. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not in Ride Reports. moved to the Regional Forums and have a look at Trip Planning forums as well.
  4. kenbob

kenbob Gnarly GnOOb

Oddometer:
    Beverly Hills, Mt -swimmin pools,movie stars
    I live in NW Montana but, hwy 550 in Colorado from Durango North to Ridgeway , turn left and go to Telluride , up over Lizard Head pass and on down to Dolores and Cortez .
    Now that's a little ride that rocks !
    That wiil be etched into my brain for a while - will definately be going over that route many more times in my life !

Next time will go much slower , spend way more time soaking it in .

You'll have to go try it yourself . enjoy
  5. widebmw

widebmw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Southern Colorado, Monument Valley, Zion, Bryce, Torrey.
  6. ballistic_ken

ballistic_ken Helmet hair victim.

Oddometer:
    Utah Hwy 12, Bryce Canyon to Torrey. Beautiful!
  7. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    I would say the route from the Salar de Uyuni to Laguna Verde in Bolivia.
  8. exoff-roadgoat

exoff-roadgoat Will ride for food

Oddometer:
    I love New England. I love Colorado. I love the Texas hill country and BB. It wouldn't be fair to choose just one. Sorry:dunno
  9. mike-s

mike-s 2 squeaky wheels

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately It was a drive, not a ride. But we did a drive down Highway 1 along the coast from San Francisco to Los Angeles. It is a spectacular bit of road and we did the trip over about 3 days. It was fantastic,absolutely fantastic.
  10. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most scenic would definitely be Colorado for me - probably Redcone area.
  11. thetourist

thetourist Just passing thru

Oddometer:
    I think the most memorable trips would be thru the Great Basin. Miles and miles of nothing but more miles. Always mountains on the horizon. Beautiful sunrise and sunset. I like the cattle areas better than the more desert stuff.
    Western Alberta is like this, also Dillon MT area.

To retire...Not much better than where I live. Maybe Wallace ID. Leadore, ID. Nelson,BC. A couple places in Mexico.
  12. patmo

patmo Long timer

Oddometer:
    West by God Virginia

Few years ago rented a cabin near Cannan Valley. Cabin had 3 bedrooms, kitchen, din ding, living room combo. No Tv or air cond...but didn't need either. Sat on back of a large estate with no other buildings around, along the proverbial babbling brook. Lots of shade, and high enough in the mountains that no ac was needed. Cost was....get ready....64.00 per night/4 or 16.50 per person per night!

Spent 4 days there and rode different routes each day. All were spectacular.
    Spent the evenings plays cards and drinking beer with my buds. Best vacation I had in years. Trip over and back, via backroads, was through SE Ohio and eastern Ky. Both are great areas to ride as well. West Virginia is heaven for a rider.

Patrick
  13. exoff-roadgoat

exoff-roadgoat Will ride for food

Oddometer:
    :clapI love W.V. too...Its close for me, uncrowded and has more backroads than you could ride in a lifetime.
  14. Shakerattleandroll

Shakerattleandroll Underacheiver

Oddometer:
    Highway 12 from Lewiston Idaho to Lolo Montana is unbelievable. Don't try it this or next year though. Conoco Phillips has been permitted to take "MEGA" sized loads Across 12 for the next year and Exxon has loads arriving in the Port of Lewiston for travel down 12 as well. Thanks, Idaho D.O.T
  15. thetourist

thetourist Just passing thru

Oddometer:
    Don't stay away because of that. The trucks only travel at night.
  16. WaywardRider

WaywardRider a geek on two

Oddometer:
    Its always a personal choice, what type of ride do you like best? Technical, scenic, combination, day-ride, multi-day ... coastal, forest, desert, off-road, etc. etc. Popcorn question indeed!

For breath-taking scenic with loads of technical but doses of wide-sweeping ah-factor, I vote for west-bound Highway 20 in Washington. I've done the Rockies (continental divide to Aspen) and while stunning, they're so technical that its hard to retain the phenomenal beauty of the surroundings.

However, there's heaps of the U.S. I've never seen .. so hope to get great suggestions of "not to be missed" rides with this thread!

Might be nice to get descriptions of the ride: level of difficulty, road conditions, points of interest, Google or GPS map, time/miles ...
  17. 666

666 Agnostic and Orange

Oddometer:
    If you went north from San Fransisco it would be even more fantastic. Especially on a motorcycle on a weekday. Going south is OK. I went both ways few times.

There are so many rides here that you shouldn't even ask that question.
  18. MAKETIMBER

MAKETIMBER Blendzol or nitro?

Oddometer:
    Hyw 299 in nor cal from redding to eureka works pretty well for me as far as scenic, and the return trip can be on hwy 36
    prolly one of the most technically fun roads around.
  19. bigskyguy

bigskyguy Adventurer

Oddometer:

I'll second that. Bozeman, MT to Sandpoint, ID to Bellingham, WA following rivers the whole way has to be one of the greatest rides I've ever done. Nothing like a sunny monday morning riding west from Winthrop, WA into Bellingham, WA. The FZ1 was just made for that stuff!

[​IMG]

Course I was pressed for time on the way back and went Stevens Pass to the 90 and back to Big Sky in one shot. 750 miles + 90/100 degrees + one day to do it in = sore ass :cry. Shoulda went back the way I came and just called in sick :evil.
  20. Mechanoligist

Mechanoligist Just along for the ride

Oddometer:

:thumb

Did this last summer and would have to agree!