1. Hey everyone, We’re going to start a weekly email to surface interesting threads in the forums. No worries, you can easily unsubscribe if you don’t find it interesting. If you’re like me, it’s nice to have someone willing to poke around a big community like ours and find the most interesting stuff. Saves time and I hate missing something great. It worked really well when we had someone discovering the best photos for the home page rotation back in the day. And if you have something fascinating to post, maybe this email does everyone some good by getting it noticed. Let us know what you think when you get it. Your feedback will make it better as we go (thread). Thanks! Baldy & rudy1220
    Dismiss Notice

Your Motor Biking Neighbors

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Disston, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    This is about those riders that don't belong to social conscience forums and talk about the right way and the right's of riding. They may think they are the Rebel. Or they may have it together but we never meet them because they don't do Adv Rider.

The guy who rides his Harley with no helmet is 2 doors around the corner from me. He's somewhat of a Dick but we are friendly or at least on speaking terms.

5 or 6 years ago my next door neighbor went down on his Iron Head Chopper in the neighborhood doing 25 mph. He had a crappy set of forward controls or they were mounted poorly because the foot peg dug into the pavement in a turn.

He kinda straightened up the bike but never rode it again. He spent a year on the couch living on pain pills and his wife left him taking the teen aged boy with her. His mother had to clean the house up after he got evicted.

A repo man came by after she was gone and I got to tell him the story and the fact we had no idea where she was with the brand new Mustang she was driving.

Know any riders like these?

EDIT; Just realized I should have posted this in Old's Cool. Will try to get it moved.

EDIT II; I got to see the helmet after Ernie's accident. It was one of those skull caps that fit the head tightly, no padding. It was split down the middle.
  2. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    I don't see them...but I hear them. VRods on the limiter everywhere in suburbia,
  3. Zencyl

Zencyl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm the neighbor with the loud V-Twin. When I leave the house before 7am I feel a little guilt that my bike is so loud but i make a conscious effort not to blast the motor getting out. Guy around the corner is a Sunday harley rider but he's never made any effort to reach out to me so I haven't done so either. My neighbor has a sportster but I haven't heard him fire it up in months, and he's never brought up bikes when we talk.
  4. shakeybone

shakeybone Long timer

Oddometer:
    We live in a rural area. I am at the top of a steep hill. My neighbor, and good friend, lives just below me on the hill. When he used to leave for work early he would push his Harley, with stock exhaust, down his driveway and roll down the hill before starting it so he would not wake us. I told him he didn't have to.
    JaySwear, ACR, OLDNX and 5 others like this.
  5. Caesars_ghost

Caesars_ghost Air Cooled.

Oddometer:
    My neighbors on either side have bikes covered, in their garages. They never get taken out or ridden.

When I used to live in an apartment complex there was a guy across the way from me who commuted every morning on his Sportster, with a half helmet and fingerless gloves.
    9Realms likes this.
  6. FMFDOC

FMFDOC IBA #63181 Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Pudding-bowl "helmets"... :nono
    Darwin at work...
    God's way of throwing a little chlorine in the gene pool. :nod
    kwthom, R100PDave and THE PIG like this.
  7. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    I tried to move a decoy owl that I move around to keep birds from nesting in areas where they make a mess of my stuff. I like birds, though, and help them by making improvements to places where it's okay for them to nest. But I digress. A few days ago, I made a haste makes waste decision to step up on my four wheeler rather than getting out a step ladder to move the decoy to the rafters of my garage/barn. Long story short, I fell backwards onto a tractor that did not make a soft landing site. Many bruises and lacerations resulted and I'm sore as hell as I write. Next time I'm going to use a ladder and wear my motorcycle gear. So, yeah.
  8. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    We've had a number of riders in the neighborhood in the past 20 years. They ran the gamut from a British Expat who club raced a small Aprilia to the kid down the street who went through a period of riding his dirt bike across the neighborhood lawns. Our current riding neighbors are a sport bike couple who have given up riding because of their growing family and her medical practice. Probably the funniest was a chopper guy who lived across the street for a while. He would put out a green plastic man with a flag that warned drivers to slow down because of his step children. Then he would run into the street screaming profanities, in front of the kids, whenever someone transgressed his personal speed limit. Glad he's gone and I hope the kids don't imitate him.

We have a handful of the noisy cruiser crowd around the area. There are far greater nuisances. I kind of think of them like the retired guy with the old muscle car. While we share an interest in mechanical hobbies, we have nothing in common, so no reason to seek them out.
    JaySwear, Endorphin and msahern5 like this.
  9. PlainClothesHippy

PlainClothesHippy Riding a dangerously quiet bike.

Oddometer:
    I've got three:

Triumph Tiger guy about a block away who rides regularly all year long. Also has a motorhome, a TRW, and a couple of Jaguars. I've never seen him outside except when he rides down the street.

Honda 600 sportbike guy lives 2 doors down. He rarely rides as he has 4 young kids. This spring I asked if he had it out yet and he told me he hasn't had time to put the battery back in it yet. Not enough time to put the battery in it. I feel sad for him.

A block to the north there is KLR guy. I've seen him on the street exactly once. The bike sits in the garage, all clean and shiny, and yes, it sports a milk crate.
    dowdell and DOGSROOT like this.
  10. Norty01

Norty01 RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!)

Oddometer:
    Had a neighbor that used to ride a Triumph, back in the 1970's. Sadly, he died of cancer about 15 years ago. He would walk around the neighborhood with his toddler son, and stop and talk about motorcycles. His son would hang around when I was doing something to one of the bikes in the garage. One time, when he was about 8 or 9, I had him change a tire on my mountain bicycle. He'd never done or seen that done, so we did it together. It was a learning experience for him as his father had passed away. After a few years, he and his mom moved away. I showed him how to do lots of stuff on bicycles as well as motorcycles, over the years. Wonder how Scott is doing now that he's probably an adult.

Another neighbor, saw me ride past his place a thousand times and became intrigued with riding motorcycles. He saw my GF riding also. He walked to my house one day and wanted to know more. I told him if he were really interested to take the BRC (both my GF and me /were ridercoaches.) He took the class about 3 years ago, and bought a Harley 500 Street. (This was before Harley offered their "Rider's Edge" which became "Rider's Academy.")
    He's been riding his Street to work everyday to work now, for 2-3 years. I should go ask him how many miles he's got now...I think he rides to Sandy Eggo but not sure.
    JaySwear, todd900ss, DOGSROOT and 5 others like this.
  11. C/1/509

C/1/509 Why?

Oddometer:
    I see bikes riding through the neighborhood rarely. No one has a bike within several blocks - or if they do it never comes out of the garage. I have people in the neighborhood wave at me when I'm on the bike often. Always makes me wonder if they recognize me or are just bike friendly and wave at all motorcycles.
  12. Richy

Richy Long timer

Oddometer:
    One neighbor has a couple Harleys, haven’t heard them run in quite a while. He used ride them some, but got into a minor accident and I think lost his confidence. One of his bikes is a Shovel the his dad bought new.
    Other guy passed away, his Softail had 108,000 on it when I helped the new guy load it up.
    I only have a two car garage, so if I have any work to do, I have to put a couple bikes outside. Whenever anyone rides by, they feel that they have to give me a full shot of their pipes. That’s ok except for the guy on the Valkyrie with six drag pipes.
    KneeDrachen and steve3b3 like this.
  13. Tall Man

Tall Man Priest, Temple of Syrinx

Oddometer:
    My neighbor and occasional riding partner has a new(ish) Tiger 800. He commutes on it fairly regularly from late Spring to early Autumn. Another fellow down the street, who I don't know, has a bagger that I've seen being ridden just a few times. A third guy, who lives a block away and who I know just casually, has a Softail that I've seen on the street only once.

Once in a blue moon will an inconsiderate ass blow through the neighborhood on his unmuffled tractor. This area is otherwise functionally free of squids, though; the one problem rider that was known to be local crashed and died last year during one of his speeding episodes. So it's not really bad at all.
  14. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 PITA but useful

Oddometer:
    I had a cool riding neighbor once, he had a DL650.

Divorcee who had a nice new girlfriend. Until, that ended and he moved.

Now I have the HD dude with straight pipes with no gear who rides once a summer.

:fpalm
    FMFDOC and 9Realms like this.
  15. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @oneworldcycles

Oddometer:
    Had a neighbor with a super loud bagger sporting a 32 inch front wheel and crazy Batman themed paint job. Would blast Xtian gospel and hiphop. Really nice guy. Had the keys to my house and would walk my dogs when I would go out of town. Miss having him as a neighbor.

Have another neighbor with a straight piped cafe racer. Helped him rebuild his carbs and made a couple hundred bucks in the process.

Neither bike or manner of dress is my bag but I'm still glad to have both of these fellas around. I don't care what you ride or what clothes you wear as long as you aren't a presumptive judgemental asshole. What a boring, adventureless world this would be if we were all the same. I'm moving soon and hoping for similar bike diversity in my next neighborhood.
    JaySwear, klaviator, SocalRob and 5 others like this.
  16. PlainClothesHippy

PlainClothesHippy Riding a dangerously quiet bike.

Oddometer:
    I will add that my street is a convenient and popular shortcut. There are two guys on HDs that come through regularly, both wearing gear, both bikes with stock pipes. They sound great that way.
    klaviator and TheProphet like this.
  17. lnewqban

lnewqban Ninjetter

Oddometer:
    I had a Harley neighbor, who was a super-nice gentleman and regular rider (no noisy pipes).
    Before moving away, he used to advise against commuting in rainy Florida days, as I regularly did and do.
    He approached each time he saw me working on my Ninja and kept a frienly conversation, while his grumpy Chihuahua inspected my garage.
    Other non-rider neighbors are convinced that I am crazy for riding in the rain and working on my bike each weekend.
    Some even go by my garage to tell me about the dangers of riding these machines, while I wrench on.
    klaviator, Richy, Puttering and 2 others like this.
  18. PaveMint

PaveMint precious bodily fluids

Oddometer:
    I havea couple.

Neighbor #1 lives on my cul-de-sac. Triumph Trophy. Up until last year he rode it daily into South SF and split lanes all the way. I think he drives now so the bike rarely gets ridden. Mad respect for that guy. We never discuss bikes.

Guy down the street has a VStrom. I rarely see him out, but he always waves when I ride by.

Former next door neighbor had a Vulcan. He and his wife and kids were total scum. They would blast music at all hours, fight constantly, and the backyard became a trash heap. I guess the landlord had enough and kicked them out. Claimed ignorance when I told them about the problems. Talked bikes a few times but he always had bigger issues going on so the conversations were short.

I have a Starbucks right around the corner, and run into all sorts of riders--most will stop and chat for a few minutes.
  19. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Younger guy in our small apartment block.
    He has a Buell Blast, that his dad quit riding.

Today we did a short ride out to Bush Highway and Usery Pass, then looped back up Power Road....

He's a good guy, new to riding.
    Currently ready my copy of Total Control.

And we're trying.to get together to do some basic maintenance on the Buell.

He called my VX a BEAST, " like every time. I'd catch up to you, man you'd just roll away from me.

It was a good ride.
  20. Disco Stu

Disco Stu Long timer

Oddometer:
    Guy across the street has an SV650, I've been on a ride or two with him. He's all talkative and fun when we stop for lunch out riding, but quiet as can be in the neighborhood when we see him and his wife and kids.

A guy down the street is about 6'4" and rides a Honda Rebel 250. He looks pretty ridiculous on such a small bike, but he wrecked it a few years ago and broke his collar bone, so he's a little scared of more power.

The wife and I have 5 bikes. Our garage is off an alleyway and we're right in the middle of a three-block long section, so I try to be quiet when leaving in the morning, but that's impossible to do when I ride the Ducati.
    Richy likes this.