Your newest "incomer"

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by snodog, Jun 1, 2009.

1. snodog

snodog Dog Driver

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys

Just wanted to say hello and quickly introduce myself.

Wife and I are making the switch from Scotland to Alaska this summer, arriving either late July or early August. We've got a place just outside Willow, that will be home to us and our 24 sled dogs.

I'm going to have to leave my 02 GS 1150 Adventure behind - but I have every intention of picking up a bike once we're settled.

I'm coming over in 3 weeks to have a final check on everything before we ship the dogs - looking forward to dodging the mosquitos again.

Where's good places to look for 2nd hand bikes?
    I love my Adventure and would probably be happy with another one of those (but like most guys, my eyes do wander from time to time).
  2. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Hello. Man, you been on ADV for a while! And you have a nice web site.

A lot of us will be out of Anchorage in 3wks on the D2D ride most leaving Anchorage Wed June 24 for Tok.

Here's where a lot of bikes, and other things, can be found: http://anchorage.craigslist.org/

See ya, Mark H.
  3. akkurt

akkurt Rode hard

Oddometer:
    24 just isn't enough. Good news though, I am getting out of mushing! I can hook you up Good dogs, great bloodlines, fast, reliable. and I am a GS'r, so you know you can trust me ;)
    :evil
  4. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    What kinda dogs do you have???:huh Sprint or middle/long distance stuff??:deal

You may be better off selling you dogs at home rather then paying shipping charges to Alaska. Not much of a market for European dogs here in Alaska, unless they have done well in major races.........just saying.:scratch
  5. snodog

snodog Dog Driver

Oddometer:
    These dogs are like our kids :raabia - actually they're better than kids, because we can shut them outside and not worry that they're doing drugs or vandalising the neighbor's yard.

We have Siberians, most of them I've bought from racing kennels in the US and flown to Scotland over the years and the others are the pups of 2 of those dogs - pups are now nearly 6.
    I'm under no illusions about coming over and being competitive - I'm just looking to run MY dogs, gain some experience and have a good time.
    Looking to run mid-distance,.

And hoping to improve my gravel road riding skills as well, because quite frankly, they're pretty awful. Too much tarmac in this country.
  6. TRACTOR RIDER

TRACTOR RIDER No Rules Gruver

Oddometer:
    Welcome

TR
  7. AKLiz

AKLiz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome to Alaska, Snodog! Sibes are beautiful dogs :) A musher friend of mine is mentoring a young musher from near Bath, UK this year - he's planning on running the Quest this coming winter.

Used bikes....Craigslist can be ok, but you might also want to keep an eye on the board at Alaska Leather when you're in Anchorage. Good luck!
  8. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok......guess I am confused.......though you were getting out of mushing......as in selling your dogs.:confused
  9. snodog

snodog Dog Driver

Oddometer:
    nope, not me, I think akkurt said he was getting out of dogs.

Thanks for the welcome everyone.
    I'll make a point of visiting Barb's during this trip and once we're here and settled, in August, I'll be hoping to get to know the roads a bit.
  10. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oops.......sorry about that.....my bad.:D Must a had a "senior moment".:norton
  11. akkurt

akkurt Rode hard

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the confusion.
    My wife and I have been mushing (recreational) for 12 years or so. We got started with some "left over dogs" from Bob Morgans 96? Iditarod team.
    I think we started with 11 dogs. Well, you know how these things go...
    We had 2 accidental breedings in one year between our star lead dog, and one of our beloved siberians. We just couldn't get rid of our "kids" Pretty much all the pups turned out to be good honest sled dogs.
    Over the years we bought other dogs, and mixed it up until we had 3 solid teams. Why we needed 3 teams, I still don't know. We have city friends that would "borrow" teams, and a few of our dogs were "leased" for iditarod, and Jr. Iditarod. Our old lead pair (now deciesed) took 8th in the Jr. with a rookie driver. That same year one of the lead pair made it to Nome.
    A couple years back, we were given a 3 North American champion sprint leaders, I wanted to mix in some more speed in my team, and boy did that do the trick! One day, when nobody was looking, another one of our beloved siberians, had his way with one of the sprint leaders. You know what happens next...
    Last year, my wife and I had some unreconcileable differences of opinion. and split the sheets. 2 months later, she left town for a family emergency in Wisconsin. She asked if I could take care of the dogs, for a couple weeks while she was gone. That was in October, she is still gone...
    lack of time, and other recources has brought us to the conclusion that we must reduce our herd. I am not sure we will completely get out of dogs, but we are committed to finding good homes for our dogs where they can be sled dogs. They deserve to run a lot more than we get to run them.
    We would like an arrangement where we could hang with the dogs and maybe run them sometimes. We are not trying to sell any dogs just want to place them with mushers that will provide for them a life of running that we can no longer provide.

I currently have 24 dogs, 10 are team dogs, and siblings (8 Y.O.) that have run together all their lives, of the 10, 4 or 5 are competent leaders. They are a mix of Iditarod veterran Alaskan huskies, and siberian, leaning heavy toward the siberian. At their peak they all run about 10-12 MPH and are middle to long distance trained. I realize they are 8 and may not fit into a competative team. However they are great dogs and will serve well to train pups, (and drivers) and will definately get you accross any finish line in Alaska.

I also have 5, 1 Y.O. sprint/sibe mixes. Mama is an 18MPH dog, Daddy is a big freighter sibe. the pups are long legged, like mama, smartand honest like daddy, and will be very very fast. They are socialized, and somewhat domesticated. We spent a lot of time with these pups, they have pulled a few four-wheeler miles but not a sled yet.

Then I have 5, 4 month old pups that I beleive have the same father. They are also long legged and have about the same markings as the first litter.

All are healthy, most are up to date on their shots, all are fat right now. (even the sprint dogs are fat)

I want to see them all in a good home, and get run like they should. wifey would like to see them run together as they are all friends, and have always been together. Out of all the above dogs, you could probably develop 15 very competitive long and mid distance dogs. Take your pick, mix and match, etc. Our only requierment, is that the dogs come back to us if they dont work out, and that we be given the opportunity to help out with them, and or run them as we have time.

We also have some equipment for sale. including a very nice almost brand new proffesionally built "walk in" dog box, built to slide into a pick up.

email me at akkurt@gmail for more info...
  12. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bob had some pretty decent dogs......he finished ahead of me a few places in the '94 Iditarod. He had a problem of getting busted up......mostly broken legs. We worked together form many years (15/20) as officials in both the Aurora Dog Mushers Club and the K 300.

Best of luck getting out of dogs. It can take some time. I quit mushing after the '94 Iditarod.....our last dog died a year ago, May 2008.:deal
  13. akkurt

akkurt Rode hard

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the sentiment. sled dogs live forever it seems. I know it will be a long road, but every long road starts with the first step, or so they say. I would love to see somebody put some serious miles on the dogs, I know they have it in them, and they deserve to prove it...