1. eNewsletter Sign Up

your opinion please f800gs seat

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by upweekis, Sep 6, 2009.

1. upweekis

upweekis Long timer

Oddometer:
    I want to replace the standard seat. Anybody tried the tourtech seats? If you replaced yours, which aftermarket did you use?
  2. skamikazee

skamikazee Novi├žo

Oddometer:
  3. upweekis

upweekis Long timer

Oddometer:
    so, do YOU know anything about the tourtech seat? I couldn't find any reference to them in the search......which is why I posted this
  4. Pete O Static

Pete O Static Adventure Seeker

Oddometer:
    Upweekis

I had the standard stock seat on my bike. I could not ride for any more than about an hour. I bought the Touratech breathable seat and it was worse!

First off, it was waaaay over priced but when your ass hurts, money is no object. Secondly, the fit was awful. The pan was not quite right and it took a lot of pressure to get it to lock and even more to get it to unlock. I found this with both the breathable and the touring when I tried them at the dealer. I have noticed similar reports from others in various threads.

I will admit that I only rode it for a day before taking it back ( 400kms ) and it could have taken a month or so to fully break in but it was so bad, I was getting headaches. ( Probably because my brains are in my ass ) My wife was on the back and she is pretty limber but she also could not ride on the Touratech.

Seat selection is extremely personal so take my opinion as just that, only an opinion. For comparison, I am 5'11" and about 190 lbs.

I then switched my stock standard seat with a stock low seat. The comfort of the low seat was much better than the touratech or standard because instead of being a slight convex shape, it had a pan to sit in. This resolved the feeling of sitting on a vinyl covered 2X6.

I found the touratech to have the same convex sort of feeling, much like the OEM standard.

If you can, try a low seat and save your money. If the low is too low, try a Sargent. I have one of those and quite like it, they also have a money back guarantee. However for the money, the low seat seemed the best.

I hope this helps.
  5. CourtFisher

CourtFisher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 to peter o sticki's experience.
    with emphasis on seats are very personal.
    Tried Touratech, too similar to standard--for me. (But some on this and other forums like them).
    F800GS low seat also too similar to standard--for me; but most cost effective if it works for you.
    Sargent is best so far (not perfect) for me, at 5'8", 31 inseam.
    You may need to go to custom built, or cut/ modify the standard, as others have done successfully.
    It all depends on your butt and preferred riding style/ position.
  6. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. upweekis

upweekis Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, thanks for those who knew. I think I'll try the Sargent.