1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Your tag dollars at work at Rampart

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by MeterPig, May 21, 2012.

1. MeterPig

MeterPig Meh

Oddometer:
    I posted this in trail clearing in as well.

So...speaking of Rampart...and of trail clearing...behold your tag dollars at work.

At typical work party, we were assigned to put in a bridge to cross a stream. Sounds good. Oh wait...stream for the new single track? nice.

To start, two beams were placed on the sides and a third was measured out so the rest could be pre-drilled.
    [​IMG]

Let the drilling commence.
    [​IMG]

Gunner, the resident tree hauler and young guy who was "gettin it done.
    [​IMG]

It's walkable!
    [​IMG]

Rolling some rocks into place.
    [​IMG]

and lifting
    [​IMG]

Clearing the incoming path.
    [​IMG]

And it is done!
    [​IMG]

All for this....
    [​IMG]
    :evil
  2. tchancey

tchancey Gearhead Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very nice! Thanks for the hard work. :beer
  3. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Just curious, did the USFS approve the design? This is way different than what we were required to build. Our design needed to be wider with short curbs.
  4. terry.mc

terry.mc Stop ruining my vacation

Oddometer:
  5. Olas

Olas the darkness

Oddometer:
    Nice! Wish I didn't have to work, or I'd have been there.. Can't wait for this new section to open...it's gonna be great!
  6. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey, don't think my Ural will cross that thing.........still a nice job.
  7. doc_ricketts

doc_ricketts Thumper jockey Supporter

Oddometer:
    What no hand rails!!:D
  8. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    It's interesting you mention "design requirements" on some of this stuff. We have an IMBA liability policy on one of our local MTB trails, and they often come up with some strange concepts. This curbing deal came up some time back on a small water crossing bridge, and it recommended the "curbing" design. It was soon discovered that the small, wooden curb was more of a hazard than a flat, smooth surface to the edge. It seemed the curb caused more highsides into the creek once the tires touched it than the opportunity to just steer away from the edge. Unless the "curbing" is huge and very tall, it seems like for MTB or dirtbike that the curb can contribute to going over the edge once you hit it with a front tire. I know you were just stating a requirement and not arguing pro or con on the issue. I think some of this stuff often shows a lack of knowledge from the governing body making these requirements. And I can see the arguments on how a wet, slick, wooden bridge might benefit from the curbing with a sliding, greasy, front tire...or not. But, no need to worry. Soon we'll have federal requirements for wheelchair ramps and access on trails like 5MOH, so all of this will be a moot point anyway.:lol3

Nice work and commitment, MP. Thanks for the work.
  9. MeterPig

MeterPig Meh

Oddometer:
    I sort of asked the same question. Let's just say my question was not, um, answered to my satisfaction. They said if "there was a problem" they would come back...?
  10. MeterPig

MeterPig Meh

Oddometer:
    For the record, the USFS did the bulk of the work. I hauled a beam and mainly hauled scrub around to close perfectly good trails. I sort of felt the USFS should throw their own trees on the trails since they were the ones closing perfectly good trails...but alas...no. :lol3

There were a lot of folks there who did the actual engineering (read mainly older and USFS). So, I just did whatever they told me to do.
  11. MeterPig

MeterPig Meh

Oddometer:
    You mean, I might be blessed with the DR presence someday?
  12. Moto Beak

Moto Beak Professional Amateur

Oddometer:
    Nice bridge. These guys should talk to their friends in Gunnison who won't put a bridge over Cement Creek unless they can get funding for an eight foot wide steel bridge. :scratch
  13. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    LOL!...you know, it's funny to think sometimes how the pioneers would have made out going west with the kind of requirements and concepts in play today. I guess we'd still be sitting on the dock somewhere on the east coast.:lol3
  14. MeterPig

MeterPig Meh

Oddometer:
    Eight foot wide...for a jeep?
  15. markamazing

markamazing That didn't hurt!

Oddometer:
    work party constructing the Skeleton tr or 770 ?

2 trails on my tick list..
  16. Moto Beak

Moto Beak Professional Amateur

Oddometer:
    According to them it has to be wide enough for two pack animals to pass each other. And it has to be steel. No wood allowed. Somehow they were surprised that their proposal for a grant from the OHV registration fund wasn't approved.
  17. no2tracks

no2tracks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So it has to be as wide as a railroad. That is based on the two tracks made by two animals pulling a wagon. Where is Gunnison's heads at? Oh, yeah, they're the ones that close singletracks to motors for mating season but mtb's are ok (Dr. Park). WTF?!?!
  18. MeterPig

MeterPig Meh

Oddometer:
    The very same.