Your thoughts- BMW Vs. Japanese dual sport for long hauls?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by kaspilo, Nov 4, 2016.

1. kaspilo

kaspilo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is what caught my attention:

The annual USA consumer survey of the top 10 brands found similar results to last year with the Japanese bikes leading the reliability stakes. Yamaha recorded the lowest failure rate for four-year-old motorcycles with 11%, followed by Suzuki and Honda (12%) and Kawasaki (15%).

American brands Victory (17%) and Harley-Davidson (26%) were midpack, and Triumph (29%), Ducati (33%),
    BMW (40%), and Can-Am (42%) were the more trouble-prone brands.
    Aj Mick likes this.
  2. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Numbers never lie, but liars use numbers.

For example, do all of the "4 year old bikes" have the mileage and use? My BMW is a commuter, and I suspect it will cross 100k miles around that timeframe. My yammie is a doodler, and barely has 9000 miles at 4yrs. Also if I pay twice more for bike, I am probably more likely to snivel about every little thing, versus just cursing in private about that crappy bike part...
  3. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are a lot of DL650s that have done very high mileage too. They had a weak stator issue in the first model, as did the BMW. Other than that they seemed reliable.
    The KLR650 have been around for a long time and many riders love their reliable and cheap running costs.
    The Suzuki 650 has a long history too, but stators and 3rd. gear problems are well documented.
  4. antonyp

antonyp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well spoken Dorito. I seem to get annoyed even by little things sometimes just because I think of what I payed for it.

A friend of mine bought a brand new 650 Dakar back in '05. When the bike was just 3-4 years old the rear brake master cylinder failed. He got so upset he ended up selling it right after he fixed it and swore he wouldnt buy a beemer again because he could not justify that kind of failure on such an expensive bike (for its class).
    It might be an extreme example but it shows how a consumers psychology is affected by the price.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk
  5. NCD

NCD Dirty Hairy

Oddometer:
    That rear brake master cylinder was made by Brembo. This is where his logic really falls apart. So now every machine that uses Brembo brakes should be off his list forever.

That's a lot of badass motos and cars off his list.
    nk14zp, DOGSROOT, Mat and 3 others like this.
  6. antonyp

antonyp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's a good point. I wish I had thought of that back then - I'm sure it wouldn't have changed his mind but it would make a hell of an argument - LOL

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk
  7. kaspilo

kaspilo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a total of 4 BMW's and my plan was to take one of them (F650 GS- twin) on my USA - South America trip next year. Now I'm reconsidering my choice. Since young I had mostly German made motorcycles (started with a NSU), but lately I had nothing but serious "reliability" issues which are NOT very easy to fix while on the road. I spend more time (or appears so) fixing the bike than riding it. Imagine having a fuel pump issue in the middle of the Atacama desert?.. or, ignition switch, or a failed charging module... ? Japanese bikes, besides having outstanding reliability, they seem to have more representation (dealers) throughout the world, in addition, spare parts are less expensive.

This is mi dilema... sell the BMW's and buy one good Japanese bike?...
    craigincali, Bar None and Alexander B like this.
  8. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Over 40,000 miles on my WR250R now and not a single problem. Just got a 2017 F700GS...we will see.
  9. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Well if we are evaluating on stators alone, my Wr250 needed one at 5,000 miles. My BMW got a respectable 55,000 before needing one.
  10. BMW-K

BMW-K F800GS FTW!

Oddometer:
    I've done a few SS1ks, two 6,000 mile tours and countless 2,000 mile trips on BMWs. It never occurred to me that reliability was any real concern.
    nk14zp and Uke like this.
  11. kaspilo

kaspilo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    perhaps I'm over-reacting... i sure love how my F650GS twin rides, but my trust on this bike is not there, especially for long trips. I had too many problems and BMW is not willing to recognize and address them... here are a few more in addition to the ones I posted previously.. the rattle of the cam chain during start-up due to a poorly designed chain tensioner, or maybe a flimsy (elongated) cam chain, or both?... steering column trust bearing failure.. on and on..

yes... maybe the f650-f700-f800 series should be considered "lemons"....
    Alexander B likes this.
  12. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    face palm.jpg

Are people really still bringing up that Consumer Reports bull shit?
  13. 4PawsHacienda

4PawsHacienda Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a crapshoot, find something that fits you and ride it until you understand it. Don't carry more tools then you know how to use.
    nwestrn, Gaazz!!, dogon2whls and 8 others like this.
  14. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bravo!
  15. stevo7706

stevo7706 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sometimes it doesn't take long to understand that something is a POS. I wouldn't let my pride convince me that bad engineering/design is worth committing to regardless of brand or how much paid. I'd rather keep my tools in the shop not on the bike. Sell it if it's a POS and buy a JAP bike.
    craigincali and Alexander B like this.
  16. BetterLateThanNever

BetterLateThanNever Long timer

Oddometer:
    A well understood issue with surveys like this. Another is not defining "failure".
  17. ABDriver

ABDriver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am genuinely interested. What makes the report so wrong? Not that I'll trade my F700GS because of it - actually, I'm going on a 1700 mile roundtrip tomorrow. But I'm curious about why so many people say it's bullcrap.
  18. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Owned BMW, owned Suzuki. The BMW I could never trust to get me home again, always burned oil which was bloody annoying. The Suzuki that followed had 100,000k's on the clock when I set off on a 6000k trip. Never missed a beat and it dragged my tired and very soggy body home through a cyclone.

The latest Suzuki has 110,000k's on it, uses no oil.

So yes, my impression is that there is a vast difference in reliability there. If all you want is a weekend ride it doesn't matter. Commuter or touring it most certainly does.
    Alexander B likes this.
  19. Fattytwocakes

Fattytwocakes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Consumer reports are like politician's promises. Not to be taken as truth or fact under any circumstance. But folks use them to "prove" their dogma, so they have a use I guess.
  20. Rgconner

Rgconner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Apparently.

I quit listening to them about cars when they started rating cars that came off the same assembly line and were just badged differently, Toyota vrs Geo for example, and the Japanese car was always rated higher.

I am sure that cosmetic plate made all the difference to the engine and transmission.
    Night_Wolf, drbuzzard and tire joe like this.