Your thoughts- BMW Vs. Japanese dual sport for long hauls?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by kaspilo, Nov 4, 2016.

1. dwizum

dwizum Long timer

Oddometer:
    Far superior for what specific purpose though? Determining which brand I should buy next? Or understanding what current owners think of their recent purchases?

I would concur that anecdote needs to be taken with a grain of salt, but I'd also argue that this survey is, essentially, massively summed anecdote (which is ironically what an internet forum is). This is not really an actual study about motorcycle reliability. So, again, take it with a grain of salt.

Agree with you there.
  2. Fattytwocakes

Fattytwocakes Long timer

Oddometer:
    More useful when placed in the bin.:D
  3. BetterLateThanNever

BetterLateThanNever Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes indeed. In my business (marketing), the only number that would ultimately carry weight is the repeat purchase intent number. The satisfaction that counts, especially if you're already a dominant brand, is the number of current owners who would write a cheque for another one. They're the ones who crow to their friends about how much they love their bikes, and they're the ones who, by doing so, make those brands "cool". People can rag on all they want about Harley, for example, but at 48% market share in the US and the best re-purchase intent by far... well, let's just say there is clearly more to 'satisfaction' than how many times you recall having to get something fixed.
  4. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    I kind of glossed over that term, seems some think street bikes with long travel suspension are dual sports. The one place where bigger is not always better... a muddy rutted or rocky trail.
  5. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Japanese Bike:

Lots of ADV miles and a bike treardown:

and here is the rider.....

6. TheProphet

TheProphet Retired; Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    In the end, I perform my own surveys, and more often than not agree with my findings. Motorcycles are as much an impulse, or appearance based purchase as they are technology, or statistic based.

The fact that I do 100% of my own maintenance and repairs skews my surveys tremendously in my favor as well. IMO, how a rider maintains - or doesn't maintain - his bike has an enormous effect on the perceived reliability, and "owner satisfaction" level of the bike. Some folks think vehicles should take care of themselves, and are the first to whine and whinge when things don't go right. Folks who have wonderful bikes are out riding them instead of filling out surveys?

In all seriousness, has anyone here EVER purchased - or not purchased - a specific motorcycle solely based upon a "survey" such as this one? Don't B.S. to strengthen a point, fess up now!

Bikes are like women - when you see one you like, you do whatever you can to make it a part of your life. I doubt too many riders choose a bike based upon a survey, especially from a non-motorcycle publication.

Appliances, TV's, Toasters, and Vacuum Cleaners... sure, O.K., but not something as personal and close as a bike.
    aftCG likes this.
  7. toy4fun

toy4fun GET out of the way

Oddometer:
    My Jap bikes are much better deal for the money then my EXOTIC BMW. Just because I pay a lot of money for a machine should not mean you charge me an arm and a leg to keep it running!
  8. Fattytwocakes

Fattytwocakes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Consumer reports are equally important to me as what the sales staff tell me. A big fat zero.:-)
  9. racetrash

racetrash Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All i can say is my 2009 klr might have to go, 2 of the 6 zip tyes broke on my back milk crate....
    LowInSlo likes this.
  10. ABDriver

ABDriver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone who answered my question!

And just to go along, and try to understand how CR works: I had to go back to the dealership when the bike had a bit more than 1000 miles because the throttle got stuck (didn't return to idle by itself) when the heated grips where set to high (apparently it dilated because of the heat, making contact with something and getting stuck).

Would that count for the % failure for the bmw, even though it was a non issue and easily fixed by the dealership?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shouldn't all brands have 100% unreliability then?
  12. BetterLateThanNever

Oddometer:
    Yes.
  13. * SHAG *

* SHAG * Unstable

Oddometer:
    Seems like Winter is coming sooner this year :2cry
  14. TheProphet

Oddometer:

Ummm... how would they be out riding then? :lol3

Contrarianism Vs. Contribution. :(
  15. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    In the survey they should all have 100% unreliable, the ones that are reliable should be out riding, for all brands.

Who is answering the survey saying their bikes are reliable for Yamaha and why arent they out riding their bike (assuming your theory about why BMW only gets a bad score because their good bikes are getting ridden is correct).
  16. TheProphet

Oddometer:
    Methinks you are arguing with the wrong poster. BMW?
  17. BvilleBud

BvilleBud Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I will probably own a BMW one day, just because; same with Ducati. I have owned Yamaha, Honda & Suzuki, they have never let me down. My bikes saw crazy abuse when I was a kid. Have a 16 Road King, we'll see how that shakes out in time. Today I'd ride my 97 DR650 to Alaska & back without giving a second thought. BMW's are very nice motorcycles, but the maintenance cost a lot more, where I live dealerships are few and far between and yes like it or not they break down more. Does that make them bad? no, but if you are on a budget look to the east.
  18. mica

mica Weekend Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't need a survey to tell me about bike reliability. Personal observation tells me Euro bikes are not as reliable as Japanese bikes. Heck, I am surprised that people are surprised by the survey results. It's pretty obvious to me. But I would love to have a KTM 1290 anyway.:D
    eddie bolted, Bar None and BvilleBud like this.
  19. BetterLateThanNever

Oddometer:
    Exactly. A motorcycle manufacturer's ambition is not just to make a bike that works, it's to make a bike people love. This study seems to prove conclusively that the two don't overlap completely.
  20. Project84

Project84 I can haz adventure?

Oddometer:
    I think the survey was for people who love to not work on their bike. :dunno

I'm mostly in that camp. While I love the regular upkeep (brakes, chain, oil, filters, etc), even as deep as valve checks... I don't want to ever HAVE to go further than that.
    eddie bolted and William Wolfen like this.