Your thoughts on bear spray

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by speedracertdi, Jul 16, 2012.

1. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    That mugg alone would scare off even the largest bear.

No matter who or what your opponent is the key to winning any fight is to establish and maintain firepower superiority.
  2. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:

Agreed. Blackhawk was what I bought 30 years ago and several times wished I'd had the red. Looks close to the same spot for sure.

These are the ones that have actually made me nervous more often. There was even an old Chinese guy taken out at the entry doors to the local university a few years back by one of these tuff, huge and stupid beasts...

[​IMG]
  3. beemerphile

beemerphile Unreconstructed Southerner Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just don't touch his tire-changing machine and you will be alright.:D

To the OP: Don't worry about the bears. Worry about the mosquitos. I came back with a full can of pepper spray and two empty cans of DEET.
  4. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Yep, we use the adults to drill for oil. :wink: One of the babies got another ADV'er at the Border.
    [​IMG]

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
  5. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    I will agree with on that one I try to tell Jayna that and she just doesn't seem to get it.
  6. friar mike

Oddometer:
    to know me is to love me.:huh:eek1:lol3
  7. speedracertdi

speedracertdi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hear you about the mosquitos, they love me. If there is one in a hundred mile radius, it will find and bite me two dozen times. Last time I was in AK, I carried a can of insect repeleant and a net for my head. I either kept my helmet on or immediately put the net on when I did remove my helmet. The locals laughed but welcome to my life........

I got the air horn and when I get farther up north, i'll stop somewhere and pick up a bear banger kit.
  8. beemerphile

beemerphile Unreconstructed Southerner Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here is a free tip. When you stop for construction (you will), immediately put your bug net on OVER your helmet so that you can have the visor open while waiting without your face becoming a picnic area.
  9. Full Power

Full Power Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am told that WE taste like chicken.
    The taste for spicy food is very much an indivual preference, but I would guess that we taste better with pepper spray.
  10. simestd

simestd Packet plumber Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm wondering how we managed to get this far without the tip on filing down the front site to aid in the ursidae suppository application of firearms. You guys are withholding important info here! :lol3
  11. speedracertdi

speedracertdi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been there, done that. I use a modular helmet, so it comes off, head net goes on. I told you the locals laughed at me right. :D

My .357 Blackhawk would be pretty painful...... :eek1

I said I wasn't allowed to have a gun, doesn't mean I didn't inherit any from my father when he passed.....:deal
  12. Cubdriver

Cubdriver Stampede Swimmer

Oddometer:

I believe this was somewhat the feeling expressed by the late Timothy Treadwell
  13. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bear Spray works (maybe) if the wind is with you.......kinda.:deal

Can't get our son to carry a shotgun while hiking..........so we bought him a Ruger Alaskan 454.......also shoots 45 Colt longs for practice. I would rather he carry a shotgun.......BUT......the 454 is better than nothing.

He was up at our remote cabin target shooting. The 454 went all the way through a 2 foot stump that wasn't rotten. Will prolly do some damage to a bear.

Guess Canada has convinced tourists and it's citizens that bear spray is ok.......cause they don't trust "regular folks" with guns.........eh???:deal
  14. aquadog

aquadog Dude Buddha

Oddometer:
    Mark is right, bear spray works well.

And this is the usual attitude that ignores field trials, like those done by the University of Alaska and others, and believes that only a gun works. Do some research and make up your own mind, don't rely on BS opinions, especially from those who don't understand ballistics and would use an insufficient calibre, you'll see a lot of that on this site - "why, my .45 will kill anything". And for those who feel it's OK to wound an animal to scare it off, consider the ethics of that - no hunters in this crowd, apparently. And no guaranty that the bear will be afraid in the future - some will be pissed. Take into account the practicality of a tool as well, read Canonshot's story about hiking the North Canol Trail - he brought a shotgun, but realized that in most encounters he wouldn't have time to get it into action, while spray was strapped right to his pack harness, ready to use.

Yes, I have about two dozen guns, no I don't feel a need to take them on a trip.
  15. friar mike

Oddometer:
    as far as Iam concerned until you have had to use a gun on a bear you don't know what you are taking about I have and Iam not taking about hunting for one thats not the same when they pop up out of the brush front and center:eek1. I used to gold mine up in the 40 mile area that place is just packed with bears some of the time you didn't go to the out house with out a gun:eek1 I think bear spray is a good thing I recommend it for travelers who think they need something but for me nothing takes the place of my 12 gauge.
  16. aquadog

aquadog Dude Buddha

Oddometer:
    What you're talking about is different than choosing to make an elective trip, and camp, in bear habitat. If you're working in a bear saturated area, a 12 gauge can be a good thing, as you don't have the option of moving on. One time coming up the Stewart Cassiar, I was planning on camping at Kinaskan Lake, but after counting about 28 bears (then stopped counting), decided to keep going rather than wrap myself up in a bow and lie on the ground :evil.

If you're not at work, you have the option of choice. Too often, people put their faith in one solution. That may work for guys like yourself who are experienced in that sudden encounter, but a lot of people aren't going to respond well and a different option might work better for them.

As noted, I'm not gun shy, but think there is the right time and place for each tool - or avoiding the situation.

Note that you're making a big assumption in your first statement.
  17. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:

Speaking of big assumptions, I've noticed that these threads wind up with some very opinionated folks in them and in some ways it's unfortunate because there are a number of riders that will see these threads and may assume that every voice merits consideration when in fact they may not. Aside from reading about other peoples field trials and experiences, have you:

#1) Any real experience with pepper spray on a pissed off carnivore?

#2) As an owner of 24 (long?) guns, have you opted to 'just bring the spray' and leave the firearms at home in bear country... or is it incorrect to assume that you spend any significant time in bear territory?

You sound like a man that might have some experience in this area but haven't sighted any. Any personal experience that leads you to believe that spray is good enough for you... or do you mean that it's good enough for others?

BTW, I'm not a bear expert and don't want to sound like the voice of authority. I do have some experience though and am genuinely interested in hearing the first hand stuff. I don't put much credibility in AK/DF&G's statements about the superiority of spray, etc. as they're towing the company line and mitigating potential hazards; having a bunch of greenhorn tourists busting through the brush looking for that Alaska experience with a .454 strapped to their chest is probably not in everyone's best interest.
  18. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Anybody have any out of the ordinary experience to site? Interesting stuff would include being charged, being between a sow and cubs, surprise encounters in the brush, walking up on kill sites, watching a bear take a calf down close by, etc.

Anything like that and in particular was there anything about the experience that might help others?
  19. friar mike

Oddometer:
    and so are you it was a general statement. If you noticed I haven't quoted you till now.
  20. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awfully quiet around here.