Your thoughts on bear spray

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by speedracertdi, Jul 16, 2012.

1. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:

Excellent point. Their top speed is reported a little higher than roughly 30mph, too, which leaves even less time. C'est la vie Mr. Pepper. :lol3

------------------------------

Grizzly's top speed est at 34.8mph (source).

Converted to feet per second is 51.04fps.

That's cooking right along for a chapped 500# carnivore. :lol3
  2. Harry Swan

Harry Swan One more time

Oddometer:
  3. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:
    I read a bunch of stuff about camping in bear country before we left. Best advise was to set you tent near the edge of the woods so you could hear one coming vs a clearing, where you probably wouldn't hear him. Next advise was to have a good knife in your tent .... so you could cut your way out of the tent if you had too. But most encounters come in daylight when you come between a sow and her cubs.
  4. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    we carried through Canada bear spray and a 12 gauge shotgun... at the crossings the guards were more interested in the spray.. paid the $25 "transport fee" for the gun... no issues... even when these guys showed up

[​IMG]
  5. AlaskaTiger

AlaskaTiger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I definitely prefer "lead based" bear spray. Mine in the form of a 2.5" Taurus Tracker in 44 mag.
  6. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    I've been carrying a .44 mag with bear loads and I try to shoot it a couple of times a week. I'm pretty skeptical that a .44 mag will take down a charging griz every time. You would have to make a well placed head shot at a 30 mph moving target with little reaction time and under stress. If you dont shoot often, you would have to be somewhat lucky to make that shot.

I'm fairly quick and accurate with the .44 mag but I dont think that I could make the kill shot 100% of the time.

I prefer to have my 45-70 govt. with me for bear protection, but many times its just not practical to carry a rifle or shotgun.

I know folks that carry both a handgun and a can of spray, but then the problem arises, which one do you reach for? Your chances of getting charged are pretty slim, but then again if youre walking around the Russian River falls wearing a salmon cape, that might be another story. :lol3

These bear discussions are always fun. :lol3
  7. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    I bigger idiot would be hard to find. I'm sure there were odds Vegas on that loon.