Your thoughts....?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by willys, Feb 24, 2010.

1. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is it best to wait for the 2010 version of the milepost to come out or am I safe to buy a 2009 copy for this year's trip to Dawson D2D....? I have found the 2009 version at a local book store half price.
  2. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    My personal opinion is that the Mile Post is an total uneeded waste of money.
    What are you unsure of?
  3. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not unsure...just need to learn more about the area that I am visiting..i think.
    I don't need the map end of it as much as the information along the way as perhaps of not what I should miss or regret i have already missed as I ride by....Plus the enjoyment of reading about the location and the planning of the trip as a whole.
  4. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:
    For those needs I suspect the 2009 version would be just fine. The hot springs haven't moved this year! ;)
  5. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you were to pick up a three-year old Milepost you probably wouldn't notice the difference. About the only thing that changes - since the Yukon renumbered their kilometer posts - is the advertising.
  6. Benjava

Benjava ?

Oddometer:
    I'm not a God of long distance round the world travel so I actually learned about some cool stuff via the Milepost. Mostly I just wanted the local info in an emergency. I razored out the pages I needed for my route and left the rest behind. I would have missed this on the Cassiar if I had not read it. But I agree the 09 version will be just fine.

Attached Files:

7. Exurban

Exurban Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had gotten the new version the the year I went and it helped locate some gas food and lodging, all of which can and do close on a moment's notice. If I had been concerned about saving weight and space, I would have torn out pages of interest instead of taking the whole book. For background info on towns, etc. it was also helpful. Having said that, and for all its heft, don't expect it to be a dog eared bible.

Probably the most info I got was reading through every single thread and ride report on AK, BC, NWT, and YT right here for the last two years and pasting info into a document that I then organized by town or subject.
  8. pbnorris

pbnorris Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The 2010 issue was out last week.