You're a Long Way from Malibu... Dan

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by malibu_dan, Jul 5, 2021.

1. malibu_dan

malibu_dan Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer:
  2. malibu_dan

Oddometer:
    Day One - Looking for my Keys in Florida

... or "How I Hate F^@%1\& Funerals"

I haven't taken a trip where I had to refill the tank multiple times since... fahk, well before the covids. But now I have to go to Florida to bury my last parent. How's this for a cheery start? I told my bride of 35 years I was going a week early for wind therapy. She said, "Really? But you don't do funerals very well, are you sure you want to go alone?" Her confidence was just the inspiration I needed. That, and I had to order a new dry bag.

Oh, and spoiler alert, I cancelled all my reservations for the Keys the night before I left--I can not abide being beholden to any man! Or hotel clerk!

[​IMG]
  3. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:

Slacker
  4. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    Oh good, a Floriduh RR :clap

sry ‘bout Mum, or Pops. Be safe; and I’m in sarasota if you need anything
    bikerjim2000 and JeepDawg like this.
  5. red bud

Oddometer:
    & pictures not showing up :dunno
  6. malibu_dan

Oddometer:
    Thanks PMR! I'm back now--too much to post pics from the road. BUT your town made it into my journeys!!
    PineyMountainRacing likes this.
  7. malibu_dan

Oddometer:
    Day One - Looking for my Keys in Florida

Winding through the backroads of GA, trying to find my sea legs, or should I say asphalt toes? No, gone are the days of tip toeing on a too-tall for my stubby little legs dual sport, just so I could look kewl. Although there is still one in the stable. In Gawja, you find stuff like this...

[​IMG]

And you just have to stop! Oops, not open.

[​IMG]

And no trucks allowed!

[​IMG]
    Callisto224 likes this.
  8. malibu_dan

Oddometer:
    So, I did get a new dry bag. Revzilla came through for me. My old ones were HUGE, and well, old.

[​IMG]

And, fortunately, it kept my shite dry. That and some trust rok-straps.

So, I decided Friday night I was going on the trip, stayed up until 2am looking for something 'interesting' to shoot. Well, photograph. All I found was a caboose converted into a cabin 50 ft from a railroad track that I could spend the night in. Here, check it out >>>

[​IMG]
    (credit: owner)

sigh

So, shared my dilemma with my young bride, and she said, "Well, let's make of list of everything you want to see this next year, and I'll make a list and we'll compare". Sounded a bit too much like therapy, but what the heckin's it couldn't be worse than staying in a caboose for an extended stay. So, I made my list.

Everything was up in the mountains, including this from previous trips

[​IMG]
    (credit: me years ago)

Everything was the wrong direction--Florida is south, dip-shite. So, I told her I was looking for what I needed to connect, to unlock the next chapter in my life. I needed to find the Key. To find the... Key. Heeyyyyy. So, I booked my reservations in the Keys! I had a plan! Plus look how big that old dry bag is!
    bikerjim2000 and N-Id-Jim like this.
  9. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    "Sounded a bit too much like therapy..." :jack
    AKAdventure likes this.
  10. malibu_dan

Oddometer:
    Day One cont'd - Looking for my Keys in Florida

So, the towns gave way to orchards and timber. Peaches and pecans, pecans and peaches. But this was a 1300 miles round-about to a funeral, so it seemed fitting to stop by a church yard cemetery. My last parent, my stepmother, had passed after a short stint in hospice. The cancers had returned, but I think she wanted most to be with my dad again. No, her name wasn't Leonora, lots of graves in the cemetery were right around 1900.

[​IMG]

She used to collect angels, hundreds mayhaps? This was fitting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My Spyder's name is Charlotte. While she is a fan of literature, she is also a hella Deadpool fan-girl!

[​IMG]
    BillUA and N-Id-Jim like this.
  11. malibu_dan

Oddometer:

I discovered The Keys are not the only Keys in Florida. Matter o'fact, although some may argue, there's keys all over the ding-dang place. Between list-therapy and departure, I got lots of advice. "The Keys are soooo commercialized." Talked to a co-worker who's currently renting an Airbnb somewhere in the mid-keys with her family (working remote), "It's soooo crowded, we just hang out here or snorkel". Hmmm, time for a lecture.

A key is a type of island. Key is derived from the Spanish word cayo, meaning small island. The main difference between a key and an island is that a cay is formed on the surface of a coral reef, while a regular island is a piece of sub-continental land that is surrounded by water.

[​IMG]

One of my designers at work told me to look at Cedar Keys on the Gulf Coast south of Tallahassee. I only have one night's reservation at a roadside motel. I'll look for something near Cedar Keys or on the keys when I stop for the night. But first, one last stop in Gawja!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was a flash-back moment for me. The last epic 2-up road trip I took with my bride included a stop at Chehaw and the run-in with a ferocious wild creature. And racing tropical storms. And burning down B-n-B's... but I digress.

[​IMG]
    (credit: younger me)

Old Ride Report to Florida (also)

Next up, FLORIDA! And a watering hole.

[​IMG]
    (credit: Brice Shirbach -- I was on back roads and no pretty welcome signs, or I just missed it)
    BillUA and N-Id-Jim like this.
  12. malibu_dan

Oddometer:

Wakulla Springs Lodge, now owned by the State Parks of Florida was built by Edward Ball in the 1930's.

[​IMG]
    (uncredited)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Interestingly this was also the site of a fascinating archeological find, recovering the nearly complete skeletal remains of a mammut americanum, or American Mastodon, now on display in the Museum of Florida History in Tallahassee.

Read about the dig on the Univ of Florida online papers

Watering hole out back >> including some of the wild-life for Red Bud.

[​IMG]

The tale of the tragic death of "Old Joe"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This musta also been the last trip for Lloyd's suitcase as well, wonder how much they paid him for it?

[​IMG]

And then a short run to end the day to Perry, Florida. BTW, the run from Wakulla to Perry across US98 was some of the most god-awful roads of the entire trip.

PSA: I am back home in ATL, not cruising FL during a Tropical Storm. Thanks for the well-wishes and concern for my safety, all y'all in Florida button up and stay safe!

No water in this watering hole >>

[​IMG]

End of Day One
    Foiler, B10Dave, ZigzagguzzI and 3 others like this.
  13. ZGirl

ZGirl Girly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    His finger got in the way.... :lol3
    red bud likes this.
  14. malibu_dan

Oddometer:
    ZGIRL!! Don't you know it!
    ZGirl likes this.
  15. red bud

Oddometer:

:lol3
  16. malibu_dan

Oddometer:
    Day Two - Looking for my Keys in Florida

Less than a days notice. Florida tourist season in full swing. Not gonna get a room on the keys, I'll just settle for a room with a key. ;)

Then I found this cute little lodge built in the 1920's called Putnam Lodge.

http://putnamlodge.com/history.php

Stories would unfold espousing ghosts and that Al Capone had stayed there. Maybe he was buried under the cement pond in the back. Maybe HE was the ghost!

Now the catch.

[​IMG]

It was only 42 mins away... Well, that's a long day on the road.

So, pivot plans--called the lodge and asked if I could check-in early. "Yes" that room is available. Good, then let's drop my new dry bag off and head to Cedar Keys TODAY!

Rolling. You can't tell from this shot, but the roof on the front of this NAPA is caved in. Won't be tooling around in there today. Old Florida.

[​IMG]

By the way, lack of leaning aside--it is SOOOOO much easier to go through a drive through on three wheels. Just sayin'

[​IMG]

Speaking of "Old Florida", found this 'archeological' site near Perry, FL. I never really thought about archeologists diggin up the 1950's, but hey, let's look around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wonder what kind of creatures were sacrificed on this altar?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apparently the hooligans have more fun with the creek out back...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally, after a long road weary making drive, the Putnam! Can I come in?

[​IMG]

Next up, Cedar Keys!
    B10Dave likes this.
  17. Riversong

Riversong Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    malibu_dan likes this.
  18. Riversong

Oddometer:
    Do you by chance remember the rest of message on the memorial with the angel on top ? Great ride report , look forward to more . Thanks
    malibu_dan likes this.
  19. malibu_dan

Oddometer:
    I just so happen to. The benefit of taking over 600 pics on the trip!

[​IMG]
    Foiler, B10Dave and ZGirl like this.
  20. Riversong

Oddometer:
    Thank you so much, I am helping a friend in rehabilitating a cemetery near Live Oak Florida which is situated on private land . Some of his relatives who died in 1837 during the Second Seminole Indian war are buried there and those graves are marked. However there are soldiers from the Civil War Battle of Battle of Olustee that are unnamed . This gives us inspiration.