You're a Long Way from Malibu... Dan

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by malibu_dan, Jul 5, 2021.

1. malibu_dan

malibu_dan Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer:
    That's awesome, Riversong. My beloved is a fan of cemeteries, so we have photographed quite a few over the years including the beautiful Oakland Cemetery in Atlanta below. The marker above was the first memorial to unknown graves like this I remember seeing. It grabbed my attention. And it was in a little churchyard cemetery at Antioch Baptist in lil' ol' Butler, GA.

[​IMG]
  2. malibu_dan

Oddometer:
    Day Two cont'd - Looking for my Keys in Florida

Not quick enough jaunt down the second worst thump, thump, thump road of the trip. You know the kind I'm talking about. Not used to seeing them in Florida. I thought that was a norderner thing. But resilience was rewarded with what was the true start of the trip.

[​IMG]

You know how it takes a few days to get into the groove (no pun intended) of a trip. I have to admit I was in a dark headspace. But cut me some frikkin' slack; pandemic and all. Plus, lest I remind of the alternative title for this Ride Report.

I realized about half way through the day that I hadn't talked to anyone outside of "Here's your room key" and "No, I don't want fries with my order." I'll introduce you to my first real conversation of the trip in a little bit.

Cedar Keys is definitely Old Florida. It's a working key, steeped in the clamming industry with their own hatcheries for sustainable farming. They also do a fair amount of trade in oysters. So, when in Rome...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had some great seafood on this trip. Amazing seafood. This was not it. Steamers was great, but I learned steamed clams are not the cut of my jib. I tipped this gal really well, because I sat there for, I don't know, a couple hours? It was hot out on the tiny little deck, so everyone was sitting inside. She said she didn't mind.

[​IMG]

Sorry, I don't recall her name.

My photo vantage point from here was fun.

[​IMG]

My neighbor on the deck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kayaks were paddling out to the little island in the background above (or should I say key). And I suddenly heard some excited exclamations; and saw... shark fins? Oh, wait, no.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I asked my server if the dolphins will often jump and splash like that, and she said she had never seen them do it. They often will breech around the kayakers, but this was a first for her as well.

See, the kayakers survived the shark attack >>

[​IMG]

Other dangers of key hopping!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More Cedar Keys to follow...
  3. malibu_dan

Oddometer:

You thought I was kidding about the sharks...

[​IMG]

The key has a fun little art district, and a historic hotel built in 1859. Let's walk around a little bit.

[​IMG]

Maybe I under sold that, "...one of Florida's most famous Bed and Breakfast Inns."

https://www.islandhotel-cedarkey.com/

When wifey and I visit together, definitely going to book in and stay there!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Live music in the lobby also, well almost >>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some art is more subjective than others, don't ya' think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I met Tony near the pier on Cedar Keys carrying an old guitar. Actually, I met Tony's dog first. He was just a chill, laid back surfer kinda dog who was well into his retirement. He knew how to find the tiniest bit of shade, and just wait for Tony to move on to the next bench.

[​IMG]

The bench where I met Tony's dog was right across the sidewalk from this office complex >>

[​IMG]

In the 45 mins I spent with Tony, I learned more about his story--the venues he'd played, the beaches he'd surfed, and how he'd learned four months ago he had talent as an artist. He thought he could turn that into a way to earn some scratch. I learned about his heart procedure he'd had a couple months ago. I had to quiet the cynical voice in the back of my head trying to tell me he was just trying to play me. Finally, he'd shared all the pictures of his painting... yes, singular, one painting. He hadn't played a note, but I tried to tip his dog for letting me take his picture, he wouldn't hear of it. I hope I didn't offend. He only asked if he could send me a copy of his painting. I won't share it here, because I didn't ask for his permission. Say hello to Tony, my first real connection of the trip. The darkness had started to lift.

[​IMG]
  4. ZigzagguzzI

ZigzagguzzI Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed the report, but I think it’s cedar key….no s.
  5. danh600

danh600 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great start!

I love seeing RR that are in my backyard. Interesting to see people from other places take on the roads I ride often.
  6. Riversong

Riversong Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Malibu_Dan, that’s a mighty good lookin Can Am Spyder you have and it appears you’ve done some custom graphics on it . Tell us a little about the bike and how you like it etc.
  7. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    don’t stop, you’re not even to Sarasota yet :lol3
  8. malibu_dan

Oddometer:
    Oh mah garsh! You are soooo right. Well, fahk--I'm gonna have to delete this and start over. Or I could go back and edit all the extraneous 's's out, but then you'd look silly, and I don't want to do that to you. Howabout if I just fix it from here on out. Would that be okay? :y0! Thanks for stoppin' by, ZigZag! Keep me honest, now!

Now I'm going to have to work extra hard NOT to filter myself with you watchin', Dan. Thanks for taggin' along.

Don't worry PMR, but I'm worried. I appear NOT to have taken a pic of the. best. Mexican. Restaurant. in Sarasota. I ate there, but I gotta look again for photage. You might need to run and snap a pic for me, mkay?
  9. malibu_dan

Oddometer:
    I'll spend some time chattin' about the Spyder before I'm done if you're interested, Riversong. Thanks for asking.
  10. malibu_dan

Oddometer:

Back to the Putnam. Yes, I took a different road back. The lioness was standing guard by the front entrance.

[​IMG]

I'll have to talk to the butler about this...

[​IMG]

You'll see more of that girl tomorrow. She has good taste in bikes.

The Putnam Lodge was built in the late 1920's, a little earlier than the Wakulla. Putnam was tied to the lumber industry. For my purposes, in addition to having verily eccentric owners, it was the best eatery in town.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See the ladder in the pic below? That was Al Capone's secret escape route. His car was parked below that tiny balcony in case he had to make a quick escape.

[​IMG]

My source for this tidbit, as well as having uncertifiable proof of ghosts? Meet Eveline and David.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She grew up in Europe, and David was a damn yankee--I know because I'm one also. They became my social directors on and off for the rest of the trip, via text! In addition to being fascinated with cemeteries and ghosts, they also were a wealth of information for historical places to visit in Florida--and invited me to join them for a private tour of the Dixie County historical society the next day. I bet I have some pics.

More Putnam >>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And one night shot for the...

[​IMG]

End of Day Two
    B10Dave and PineyMountainRacing like this.
  11. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    you parked in Al’s spot?
    yamalama and ZigzagguzzI like this.
  12. malibu_dan

Oddometer:
    Day Three - Looking for my Keys in Florida

It was time for a down day. Come on, don't give me that shite--I'm getting older. I haven't logged miles in a millennia. See, even the peacock agrees.

[​IMG]

One of the 'things' I do is paint my helmets. In addition to a new dry bag, two days before departure, I noticed my chin bar was loose on my Scorpion modular. Upon closer inspection, I found one of the clamps was... no clamping. Well, so much for a cheap launch on this trip. Now I needed to figure out the theme.

Here's one of my OLDER helmets now retired >>

[​IMG]
    (credit: younger me)

A big part of today would be figuring out the 'theme'. The noisy inspiration for starting is pictured above. That ding-dang peacock. You can see his head below.

[​IMG]

And part of his tail here.

[​IMG]

So, I decided to make it a memorial helmet for all my parents. My parents divorced and remarried when I was a youngin'. So, the two animals so far illustrated are a koi for my father. He was a professional scout master with Boy Scouts of America back in the 1960's and 70's. He taught me to fish, to swim, to waterski--a big part of my love for the water is because of him. Later in life, in his 50's he became a preacher man--so it also represents the ichthus.

The mourning dove is for my mother. She always had a pair of doves that nested in the geraniums on her porch in the house I grew up in. Some spiritualists say when a mourning dove appears, it should be a reminder that you have support and love around you and that even death does not separate you from your loved ones.

The owners were fascinated by the fact I was sitting in the dining room painting their peacock on my helmet, so they brought me some lunch. It was the best soup of the trip!

[​IMG]

Dave and Eveline texted me and said, "Go, go, go--dolphins jumping, must pay the ferry man!" Or maybe they just said they were heading to our secret tour of the historical society. I called my wife, told her I loved her, and said if she never heard from me again tell the police to look for an older couple riding a Can-am Spyder stopping at museums frequently!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was also lots of civil war and later photographs, but this stuff interested me more. The safe below was the only thing to survive a fire at the local bank office. Only problem was no survivors knew the combination, until someone recalled they had a safe cracker in the jail. They cut him a deal and he opened the safe for them!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More Day Three to follow
    B10Dave likes this.
  13. malibu_dan

Oddometer:
    Day Three cont'd - Looking for my Keys in Florida

I'll try to keep the posts to more manageable length. << Pie crust promise right there!

Chicken? Why not?

[​IMG]

That evening after an early dinner, I got to hear some more stories and meet more people who coincidentally found themselves at the Putnam.

[​IMG]

Meet Mark and his wife. (I'm a flop, I almost made up a name, but that would have cheapened their story. I'm sorry I can't find her name in my contacts). So, they fascinatingly lived in the Caribbean for over 20 years. Mark had been through a brutal divorce here in the states. I didn't ask if his now wife was the reason for said divorce or not--I didn't know them weeeellllll enough for that question--but I did wonder.

[​IMG]

She tended bar on the beach, and he did maintenance for some of the resorts. They only moved back to the states because they said they realized they were getting older, and serious health care is non-existent on the islands. They had just returned from a funeral for a Rastafarian woman on St. Thomas whom they and everyone else apparently loved. That funeral was on the beach. My stepmothers would not be that lively a celebration, with singing and dancing and bonfires! Wow, what a send off!

The final couple from the Putnam was Steve and Tammy. Steve was an animal of the long ride. He and his wife were on a Honda Goldwing towing a small trailer with a swivel hitch. He said the hitch made him forget it was back there. I don't recall why they were in Florida, because there next destination was what stood out for me most. They were from southern Indiana, but were heading to ride the Natchez Parkway. Wifey and I rode the entire Natchez for our 25th wedding anniversary, with sojourns off the parkway each day. We both had bucket list things from that trip--hers was seeing Helen Keller's birthplace in Tuscumbia, and for me I got to see a Frank Lloyd Wright house.

Rather than a direct link I'll share this gentleman's website >> https://www.natcheztracetravel.com/...nessee-river/460-helen-keller-birthplace.html
    The curator of that site handled all of our accommodations flawlessly, if you ever head that way yourself.

Meet Steve and Tammy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You know a guy who goes to Mississippi by way of Florida ain't afraid of miles. They are smart enough, however to know when to cut bait. They hit terrible storms, literally saw a huge tree fall way too close to them, so they didn't go all the way to Natchez, MS. They only missed the first 100 miles, so they still rode over 300+ miles of the Natchez? Good people.

End of Day Three
    Ernbo6 and B10Dave like this.
  14. malibu_dan

Oddometer:
    I parked as far under the overhang as I could, nobody yelled at me :pynd

Don't know if I met Al, who was Al? I did meet Beverly and Ed, the eccentric owners. My favorite Beverly quote when someone asked her "Why peacocks?" was "I didn't really think it through. I never think anything all the way through!"

===
    edit
    ===
    OMGawd, PMR! You got me! Al... Al Capone! I need to go to bed. That was fahkin' funny.
    B10Dave likes this.
  15. ZigzagguzzI

ZigzagguzzI Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great fun reading. Keep it up. I’ll get the S outa here. You’re making me homesick….moved to Ohio on 2019. Have a great adventure.
    malibu_dan likes this.
  16. NAVIGATOR

NAVIGATOR Wanderer

Oddometer:
    SOUTH OF THE USA BORDER(friendlier Mexico)
    Enjoying you style to tell the anecdotes of your trip and nice pics too
    malibu_dan likes this.
  17. ZGirl

ZGirl Girly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Really enjoying the RR Dan! Thanks so much for sharing.
    I love this picture of the lioness. The eyes are very expressive. "Bring noms or I keel you!"

[​IMG]

"See the ladder in the pic below? That was Al Capone's secret escape route. His car was parked below that tiny balcony in case he had to make a quick escape."

On a related note, Bill and I went to dinner at a nearby restaurant a few months ago. It was also linked to Al Capone. Here is an interesting link to that particular hideaway if you are interested.
    https://kellykazek.com/2018/08/28/l...essee-home-had-hidden-passages-for-al-capone/

Now, back to your regular scheduled program.

[​IMG]
    malibu_dan likes this.
  18. Riversong

Riversong Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, absolutely spend some time Spyder chatting’
    malibu_dan likes this.
  19. malibu_dan

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your imprisonment. At least you have soy bean fields to break up the 1 mile cross-roads mapped out in giants squares. :linzi

Welcome, Navigator! Glad to have you joining us from Mehico!

As long as you protect me from the haters, I'll feel safe enough to share... :ksteve
  20. malibu_dan

Oddometer:
    And with that, we can officially start

Day Four - Looking for my Keys in Florida

...with breakfast. There were about 3 or 4 cats patrolling the front porch and protecting my Spyder. But this one was the queen. I hear what you're saying, ZGirl...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Okay, you may live another day... I no keel you."

Day Four to be cont'd
    B10Dave and ZGirl like this.