You're a Long Way from Malibu... Dan

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by malibu_dan, Jul 5, 2021.

1. havabusa

havabusa Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the ride along. (I'm saying this for myself - It's been about 25 years since my ride to key West.)
  2. malibu_dan

malibu_dan Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer:
    Thanks for stopping by, Hava!
    havabusa likes this.
  3. malibu_dan

Oddometer:
    Day Six - Looking for my Keys in Florida

Today was another road day. Before I head out, the Honey Bee and apple blossom is for my stepdad. He grew up on a fruit farm in Michigan, and I remember for the first time as a young boy, tasting what REAL apple cider tasted like. Not that pasteurized, over filtered crap they sell in a lot of grocery stores. Fresh pressed cider. He made the best apple dumplings in the world, it was Grandma Vera's old family recipe.

[​IMG]

Sorry it's upside down, tilt you head waaaayyyy to the side and squint.

And I would spend the day dodging this >>

[​IMG]

...not successfully, by the by. Not a lot of photo ops, due to the inclement weather.

Route >>

[​IMG]

But I did get this nice shot.

[​IMG]

At Myakka River State Park. Not much interesting (oooooh, aren't I casting shade) to say about Myakka River. One of the highlights on the landing page is that you need to bring your own utensils if you rent a cabin.

That said it was built by the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps), thanks to President Roosevelt. One of eight State Parks in Florida developed by the CCC in the 1930's.

[​IMG]

Charlotte showing off her opinion on the matter.

[​IMG]

I did arrive, none the worse for rain wear (who needs gloves). And arrived in time, I did, to help with estate 'things.' Pictured are my sister, and one of my step brothers.

[​IMG]

Rick is an avid kayaker and outdoorsman, and is so famous, he's INfamous for his impression of Jackbox (a little gamer humor for you button mashers).

[​IMG]

My task for the next two days would be sorting through Dad's old tool shed, which joyfully, contained all his old tackle boxes. I was able to sort through his collection of lures (he had an affinity for Rapala lures), and spread them throughout the sons, grandsons, and a couple granddaughters who also wanted a memento.

My temporary office...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tomorrow, the funeral. Sigh.

End of Day Six
    havabusa, ZGirl, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  4. malibu_dan

Oddometer:
    B10Dave and ZigzagguzzI like this.
  5. danh600

danh600 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Myakka River State Park has some pretty good primitive camping sites. You only want to do them when the weather is cooler.

Nice RR!
  6. malibu_dan

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Dan! I actually think the cabins look kinda kewl as well--but didn't check to see if they were a/c'ed. :knary I found it interesting the cabins were built a few feet up on stone pillars--I assumed it's for flooding? I also didn't venture in to see the canopy walkway--not for those afraid of heights, but I bet it would lend itself to some fascinating photography.

[​IMG]
    (uncredited: floridastateparks.org)

https://www.floridastateparks.org/learn/canopy-walkway-myakka
    ZigzagguzzI, B10Dave and bikerjim2000 like this.
  7. ZGirl

ZGirl Girly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll be thinking of ya tomorrow. Your stepdad was blessed to have such a good son to carry on the good memories. :kumbaya
  8. malibu_dan

Oddometer:
    Day Seven - Looking for my Keys in Florida

The angel on my helmet is for my step-mother. She collected angels, my whole life. Some people collect something for a season or two, and then the muse pulls them in another direction. Not her. Angels. Hundreds of them.

Today we would say goodbye.

[​IMG]

Just a few pics today, and not a lot of commentary. You will see my sister in the pulpit, she is a chaplain, and gave a beautiful eulogy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The final shot is of one of my step-mother's friends. She knew each one of us kids by name, and what challenges we had each been facing over the last year. She was her friend and confidant.

End of Day Seven
    B10Dave, Samspade, red bud and 4 others like this.
  9. malibu_dan

Oddometer:
    Day Eight - Looking for My Keys in Florida

Thank you all for the well wishes. As we get older in life, death is a reality.

Remember Dave and Eveline? Well, they had given me a photo-tag challenge of sorts. They didn't know they were doing it--but did none-the-less. They had shown me a photo from a travel blog that showed a really old building in White Springs, FL for Suwannee Feed. Let's go there!

It was another day of dodging showers (first half at least). So photage will commence with Suwannee!

[​IMG]

The current owners, Don and Ann Wilson take pride in keeping the hardware store chainless and shackle free! It is on the site of the original Adam's Country Store, est. 1865!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. malibu_dan

Oddometer:
    Day Eight - Looking for My Keys in Florida

White Springs is also home to Stephen Foster State Park. Built in the 1950's, the park was built as a tribute to the composer, Stephen Foster who gave us Old Folks at Home (Way Down Upon the Swanee River).

[​IMG]

Replete with a beautiful carillon tower, currently under renovation.

[​IMG]

Who else used to love their Big Wheel as a kid?!?

[​IMG]

From White Springs, I burned on the back roads to Valdosta, the last sleep over of the trip.

[​IMG]

My standard question when checking in... "Where's the best Mexican restaurant in town?" The answer? El Toreo Mexican Restaurant. This one wasn't in a Texaco gas station... but it was sublime.

[​IMG]

End of Day Eight
  11. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    great pic's
    ZGirl likes this.
  12. Riversong

Riversong Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beautiful pictures and the Live Oak , White Springs area are sublime riding areas ! Just north of Valdosta is Adel where I was born in my grandmothers farmhouse. Just north of Adel is Sparks . It used to be said that if you lived in Adel you were so close to hell that you could see sparks ! We had to find our humor anywhere we could !
    B10Dave likes this.
  13. malibu_dan

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Riversong. I grew up in Michigan. We used to say Michigan is the only place you can go from Hell to Paradise all in a day. :)
  14. Riversong

Riversong Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I should have thought of this yesterday but in Valdosta you’re very close heading north/ north west to a pretty little small town called Lakeland Georgia. It’s noted for the beautiful wall murals on many of its downtown buildings . Actually from Adel it’s about 18 miles due west . You’re camera would love it !
    hock2e likes this.
  15. malibu_dan

Oddometer:
    Day Nine - Looking for My Keys in Florida

Well, we're not in Florida anymore, Toto. Great tip on looking for murals, @Riversong -- nice segue.

The Mourning Dove is for my mother. I lost my mother back, oh about five years ago. I still miss her all the time. I still have the compulsion to pick up the phone and tell her about _________ fill in the blank with anything. She always had mourning doves who nested in her geranium pot on the front porch, but now I may just be repeating myself.

[​IMG]

Murals, you say! Well, let's see what we see along the way!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I must say, really good jerky! I met a couple riders, one a self-proclaimed long distance roller. Nice guys. Mr. Tungsten-butt was riding a ragged out, old school Goldwing. Looked like he could back up his claim. Sorry, didn't get a snap of them.

Here, we go, Riversong. I can't identify the towns, perhaps you can help?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fitting last image for the trip. Thank you all for tagging along!

End of Day Nine - Looking for My Keys in Florida
    hock2e and B10Dave like this.
  16. red bud

Oddometer:
    the trips over, its time continue the report
  17. malibu_dan

Oddometer:
    I did take a picture for you, @red bud !!

[​IMG]

Now look reeeaaaal close, squint you're old eyes, and say... "Enhance!"

Now scroll down...

[​IMG]

See? It works just like it does on CSI!
    B10Dave likes this.
  18. malibu_dan

Oddometer:
    I think I may just accept that challenge!!!
  19. red bud

Oddometer:

course that means you'll have to ride more than twice a year

:hide
    B10Dave likes this.
  20. malibu_dan

Oddometer:
    :csm
    red bud likes this.