You're a Long Way from Malibu... Dan

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by malibu_dan, Jul 5, 2021.

1. malibu_dan

malibu_dan Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer:
    Heh... Booger Hollow.
    B10Dave likes this.
  2. rdbonds

rdbonds Breaker of Things

Oddometer:

Glad you enjoyed that one. Well said, sir. I took that exact same photo of the "dead end road", hoping to come up with the right way to state the importance of the school there. You nailed it.
  3. malibu_dan

Oddometer:
    Thanks, RD.
    rdbonds likes this.
  4. malibu_dan

Oddometer:
    Tongue out Tuesday...

[​IMG]
  5. malibu_dan

Oddometer:
    It's the little things in life that bring joy. I was relegated to the other side of the garage, and the remote on the Spyder refused to reprogram.

Suddenly, I went back again, and it all just worked. Reprogrammed the Mo-door and now I can come and go all day long.

PXL_20210803_014704558.jpg
    B10Dave likes this.
  6. malibu_dan

Oddometer:
    I decided to grab the camera and go get some photo tags today. One here with ADV, one with a Spyder forum. First I fueled up Charlotte, and then I fueled myself up.

[​IMG]

First I had to go looking for cannon fire. None to be found today--although the last time I was here, there was cannon fire and tent and soldiers everywhere.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hmmm, don't remember this sign last time.

[​IMG]

And a little PSA >>

[​IMG]
    Samspade and B10Dave like this.
  7. malibu_dan

Oddometer:
    A little bit of Kennesaw Mountain history, much more online >>

The park was built by the Conservation Corps during the 1930's. During the Great Depression, Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park was the site of Camp Brumby, a Civilian Conservation Corps site (CCC). The Civilian Conservation Corps was created as a part of President Franklin D. Roosevelt's New Deal programs to aid the American public in the recovery from the Great Depression. The federal government provided the men with food, clothing, shelter and tools. There were over 4,000 CCC camps in the then 48 states and the men worked 40 hours a week, earning $30 dollars a month (a lot of money at the time), $25 of which was sent home.

https://www.nps.gov/kemo/index.htm

[​IMG]
  8. malibu_dan

Oddometer:
    I then went to Jasper, GA, to pick up the Georgia Tag Game location, here >>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were a bunch of busy bees buzzing about, literally. No, not this one

[​IMG]

These!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very tiny library :rofl

[​IMG]
  9. malibu_dan

Oddometer:
    The other note-worthy stop of the day was at Traxxion Dynamics. Many of you have had suspensions built or re-built by them over the years. I know I have. Before living in Atlanta, to be certain.

https://traxxion.com/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They rebuilt my Elkas a few years ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then, the long way home. Thanks for taggin' along.
  10. malibu_dan

Oddometer:
    Don't be Koi...

_DAN6570.jpg
    B10Dave likes this.
  11. malibu_dan

Oddometer:
    Joy of joys! I discovered an urban tag-o-rama in Atlanta. Hasn't been touched in over a year. Let's resurrect that!

I had to find this really kewl headstone. I'm gonna ask Mrs. Malibu if I can have one someday!

[​IMG]

TAG!

[​IMG]

I saw a couple neckin' on a bench. Maybe they thought this was just a really quiet park. I didn't try to explain it to them...

[​IMG]

This one was a portal!

[​IMG]

How shallow a depth of field can I get... :wink:

[​IMG]

I found me some good words to ride by! :mully

[​IMG]
    Ernbo6 and B10Dave like this.
  12. malibu_dan

Oddometer:
    Urban tagging means...

[​IMG]
  13. malibu_dan

Oddometer:
    Here was one today, at Decatur Cemetery, Atlanta area @Riversong

[​IMG]
  14. malibu_dan

Oddometer:
    Sunday, Aug 29, 2021 - NW Georgia

I decided to get an early start today to grab the GaTOR tag, up in Calhoun, GA. I mean early early...

[​IMG]

All for a nice run to here >>

[​IMG]

I bet it had a hella recoil.

[​IMG]

Don't cut the red wire! What ever you do!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

American Legion Riders chapters are well known for their charitable work, which has raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for local children's hospitals, schools, veterans homes, severely wounded servicemembers and scholarships. Since 2006, Riders nationwide have participated in The American Legion Legacy Run to annually raise money for the Legacy Scholarship Fund, established to provide scholarships to children of U.S. military personnel killed since Sept. 11, 2001.

The Riders began with a spark of inspiration in 1993 from post commander, Chuck "Tramp" Dare from Garden City, MI, and Bill "Polka" Kaledas. More about people with nicknames in a little bit.

https://www.legion.org/riders

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...to be cont'd
  15. malibu_dan

Oddometer:
    Sunday, Aug 29, 2021 - NW Georgia cont'd

Where to take the tag to...? Let's head for the woods!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did a little of this >>

[​IMG]

Saw some nature.

[​IMG]

Some got on me...

[​IMG]

I did not go in this buckshot riddled building...

[​IMG]

Nor this building.

[​IMG]

A very nice state park. Named after James "Sloppy" Floyd; a state representative for a couple decades starting back in the 1950's. According to an Atlanta Magazine, Sloppy Floyd may have been on the wrong side of history--but I'll leave that to you to decide on your own.

Who the Hell is Sloppy Floyd? ~Altlanta Magazine

Regardless, it's a beautiful state park. I never made it to the jewel in it's crown, the waterfall at Marble Mine. I guess I have a reason to go back.

[​IMG]
  16. malibu_dan

Oddometer:
    Sept 5, 2021 - North Central Georgia

Seems of late, Day Trippin' for me means Photo Tagging! It's okay, it combines two of my favorite things.

Don't tell @Ernbo6, but I sometimes mash up photage taggin' between ADV and a facebook group. To be honest, the facebook crowd ain't exactly gittin' the who phototaggin' thing--but I keep trying to inspire them.

North Georgia Tag-o-rama was here >>

[​IMG]

Not exactly a mecca of bikers--but it was definitely panic inducing if you have become crowd adverse in the current global climate. Wow, peoples love them some beaver at Buc-ee's. Their logo is a beaver, you filthy minded ol' farts.

Facebook tag was here >>

[​IMG]

Now THIS stop made for some bike pron pics!!!

[​IMG]

All kinds of bikes! Fat ones, skinny ones, ones that climb on rocks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've been to Rocco's a half dozen times over the last I don't know few years, and I swear I've seen this bike there multiple times. This day I finally had my camera along!!

[​IMG]

Oh, wait! This is bike is mine! >>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's impossible to keep yourself out of the reflections of a chrome beast! Where's Dan?

[​IMG]

to be cont'd
    B10Dave and Samspade like this.
  17. malibu_dan

Oddometer:
    Sept 5, 2021 - North Central Georgia cont'd

And I took the tag here >>>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like a jailbreak is imminent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, the Can-Am has a Can-Bus system, similar to the European bikes, and many Harleys starting back in 2011. One of the niggles of these systems is when they throw an error code which can be from a simple voltage drop in the systems. Can-Am is quick to go into "Limp Home Mode" as my display started squawking at me mid-way through the day. Except, unlike the actual limp home mode that usually accompanies the code, Charlotte kept running like a top. Time to chase voltage gremlins and see if I lost a sensor (very possible) or if I have a small drain from some plug-in. My accessories all run through a separate bus with it's own fuses and regulators--but it could even be a cell starting to go on the AGM battery. Ordered a pretty new digital multi-meter to play with. Until next time...

[​IMG]
    B10Dave and red bud like this.
  18. malibu_dan

Oddometer:
    Well, digging into the error code Charlotte is throwing, P0340 >> Camshaft Position Sensor... YAY!

:hmmmmm

Let's make sure we're not just having a problem with electrical/voltage drops:
    Battery, 12.83v:devildog

Check the F8 CAPS fuse, continuity tonality 'beep' :dj

Let's gut some of the other 'things' hanging off the wiring harness--still have the trailer wiring harness installed even though I sold the trailer a year ago...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:kat wiring enema complete

Unhooked all the fuses (run through a separate switching bus) for all other lights, and accessory plugs. Still throwing the code. Here's where the internet fails me... some folks seem to think error codes magically go away when the offending item is exorcised, some seem to think a dealer has to reset the code. I'm barely a shade-tree mechanic. What do I know. How to reset a code myself?? Any other vehicle in my driveway I can reset with a $30 code monitor--the Can-Am requires a BUDS diagnostics gizmo for $700 plus some more Benjamin's for the annual license codes. I know, I know--you wanna play, you gotta...

So, back to the interwebs. It used to be for a Can-Am ECU kick in the pants, you had to pull your 'puter and send it off to some wizard in a tower somewhere and hand them a bunch of money and they'd send you back an enchanted performance chip.

:pope

Dynojet and Fuel Moto to the rescue. We can now plug a programmer into our Spyders to satisfy our lust for a little better seat o' the pants experience--but also reset it back to factory default at any time if we want to as well. Fuel Moto also gives you a lifetime of reprogramming fuel maps if you mod your Spyder in the future--so I sent a note to Fuel Moto, and asked if the PV3 would ALSO allow me to reset error codes. Lucas said "Yes!" He's never lied to me before, so...

[​IMG]

If nothing else, I get a little more zoom zoom...
    B10Dave likes this.
  19. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dan; you might try unhooking the battery; unplug the ECU and let it sit for a few minutes; reconnect the ECU and then do the same for the battery. Might reset the trouble code. Won't hurt to try. Good luck.
    malibu_dan likes this.